Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
This weeks AMI LIVING!! Nauseating article!!
1  2  Next

baker1

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:55 am
Did anybody else think that the article about weird natural remedies was GROSS??
I thought it was totally inappropriate for a shabbos magazine! I was so grossed our I could not even finish reading the rest of the magazine...

If you did not read it and u want to hear about, I can briefly summarize it!

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:56 am
Go on...gross me out! LOL

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:01 am
Enlighten us.

baker1

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:02 am
Ok here goes-

Was discussing in depth about a 1. feces transplant ( in detail about how they water down someone else's feces and transplant through the system!!)
2. someone who drank urine each day to help with his medical issues
I sort of put it down after reading those... I noticed the third part about someone who drank breast milk from his daughter...

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:04 am
Someone mentioned something to me about drinking breast milk to shrink cancerous cells.
I'm curious if there are any sources there?
Does anybody know?

Yes, this definitely sounds inappropriate for a Jewish women's magazine. It really is in poor taste.

mandr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:07 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Someone mentioned something to me about drinking breast milk to shrink cancerous cells.
I'm curious if there are any sources there?
Does anybody know?

Yes, this definitely sounds inappropriate for a Jewish women's magazine. It really is in poor taste.

I read an article in Psychology Today about how a baby's cells before birth have stem-cell-like properties to heal different ailments in the mother. Maybe that applies to breastfeeding babies as well. I can imagine those cells coming through in the milk and thus the person drinking it can reap the stem-cell benefits.

Dovi'smom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:32 am
To be honest, while I agree with you that there's an obvious yuck factor, I found it interesting nonetheless. Medicine has always fascinated me, and I can handle different things.

I get that some people are not like me, but I wonder about it being "inappropriate for a Jewish magazine".

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:38 am
I thought it was pretty gross but interesting nonetheless.

However, AMI is not a "shabbos magazine" and I don't get why this week's content should be classified as inappropriate for davka a Jewish women's magazine. It's either ok for all magazines or inappropriate for all magazines.

aebz

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:38 am
I didn't read the article but I'd imagine it would depend how it was written: if it was written with the tone of look how gross this stuff is, it would a poor choice of articles to publish given the audience. If it was written scientifically and medically based then I can understand why many might find it interesting.

baker1

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:39 am
Dovi'smom wrote:
To be honest, while I agree with you that there's an obvious yuck factor, I found it interesting nonetheless. Medicine has always fascinated me, and I can handle different things.

I get that some people are not like me, but I wonder about it being "inappropriate for a Jewish magazine".

If you read my post I wrote "being inappropriate for a shabbos magazine"

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:42 am
I think I wasn't really clear.
I would find such an article fascinating in a science or medicine journal etc...
It's not the type of thing that I want to be reading in a Jewish women's magazine when I lay down on the couch after my Shabbos meal.
JMVHO (and my very own taste... Smile )

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:09 am
Fecal transplants are an absolute miracle! So many people have died from C. difficile and other related diseases and suddenly there is an inexpensive cure that can be effected safely with no side effects! And the cost is almost nothing! It is truly miraculous and I feel like if Hashem made it possible for us to fix this problem in such a simple way and save so many lives, then we should be in proper awe of his power and gifts. Yes there is an ick factor, but it's not like you have to eat poo. It is put directly into an bg tube and goes right into your bowel anyways. Baruch HaShem!its no more disgusting than a blood transfusion or using pig insulin.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:36 am
Ichsa.

Ami living is getting to me as it is, every week there's another depressing story about somene's health or mental or family issues. There are hardly any feel good stories that leave you inspired and uplifted. It's getting to me. I have enough of my own tzuris, I cant handle reading everyone else's.

incidentally, someone on FB posted a link to a book about semen recipes. I couldn't find a negel vasser shissel to hurl into fast enough.

shosh

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:16 pm
All I can say is that there are some weird folks out there in Facebook land ...

jerusalem-girl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 1:43 pm
I expected much worse when I saw the title of this thread....

I do think the magazines should have some way of informing us when an article is not appropriate for Shabbos.

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 1:50 pm
Why is talk of modern medicine not appropriate for shabbos? Because it talks about poopy? Grow up, people.

Happy18

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 1:53 pm
The article sounds disgusting, but I'm not sure why its inappropriate for a magazine?

mandr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 1:54 pm
I don't see what the problem is. Why is reading something like this on Shabbos different from reading it on a weekday?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 1:57 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Why is talk of modern medicine not appropriate for shabbos? Because it talks about poopy? Grow up, people.

Agree. Its not in the same realm as semen recipes, at all. Its just science and medicine. Its really kind of immature to call that nauseating.

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 2:00 pm
I found it to be an interesting read. Gross, but interesting.

Don't tell anyone, but I use the bathroom on shabbos. There are fecal transplants happening in my toilet. Shhhh...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room