Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
This weeks AMI LIVING!! Nauseating article!!
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 5:01 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Why is talk of modern medicine not appropriate for shabbos? Because it talks about poopy? Grow up, people.

Woohoo! We can be grownups AND use words like poopy! Hooray

sarachana

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 7:01 pm
Drinking breast milk helps with many things because its a complete form of amino acids, vitamins and minerals...but so are other forms of foods. just saying

also, im just wondering about this fecel transplant thing\...they take the crud out and put it back in? would someone please explain to me how it works? never heard of it, and am very curious.

penguin

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 7:21 pm
I believe the point was to re-colonize the colon (!) with healthy probiotics. Taking probiotics orally doesn't suffice for some people, but they can be introduced in much larger quantities if taken from the fecal matter of someone healthy.

I think it also said that it is preferable to use the material from a close relative so that they have been exposed to similar bacteria etc & have similar antibodies.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 8:14 pm
guess there aren't too many amother doctor wannabees ~ I'd probably find it more fascinating than the other articles

celestial

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 8:21 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Why is talk of modern medicine not appropriate for shabbos? Because it talks about poopy? Grow up, people.

This made me laugh so hard! Especially with your avatar for some reason!

BlueRose52

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 8:45 pm
I understand that it can gross you out but the idea of fecal transplants to treat illnesses has gained significant popularity lately. It's not just a whacko/fringe theory. I'm not always a fan of Ami, but I think it's good when they bring new research developments like this to the frum world's attention.

Here are some articles on the topic from respectable mainstream publications:I heard an amazing story about a guy who suffered from an ear infection in one of his ears all his life and no matter what treatments the doctors gave him, they didn't help. One day he had an idea - he took a q-tip and cleaned his good ear with the q-tip, then rubbed his bad ear with the same side, transferring some of his ear wax from the good ear to the bad ear. Result: the infections disappeared! His good ear had some bacteria that were preventing the infections, and a simple "wax transplant" solved the problem.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:15 pm
FECAL TRANSPLANTS??!

In YOUR TOILET???????

What is WRONG with you???!

The next thing you'll tell me is you urinate in a large porcelain bowl and flush.

;-)

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:20 pm
I was hoping someone would POST the article!

chani8

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:21 am
I read the articles that BlueRoses52 posted links to, and I'm amazed by this fecal treatment.

However, it also popped into my head (that's popped not pooped) the question, How did they come up with this???

A couple doctors were sitting in the lunch room, and one of them had an idea: "Hey, maybe we could put good poop into the patient." "Great idea! But how would we get it into them?" "I know, let's tube it in from thier nose!"

chani8

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:22 am
I guess if my friend and I could come up with 'catching intestinal worms' to prevent reinfection, then this really isn't so far fetched. LOL

carpediem

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:31 am
chani8 wrote:
I read the articles that BlueRoses52 posted links to, and I'm amazed by this fecal treatment.

However, it also popped into my head (that's popped not pooped) the question, How did they come up with this???

A couple doctors were sitting in the lunch room, and one of them had an idea: "Hey, maybe we could put good poop into the patient." "Great idea! But how would we get it into them?" "I know, let's tube it in from thier nose!"

Smile Smile chani8 you crack me up every time!

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:20 am
chani8 wrote:
it also popped into my head (that's popped not pooped) the question, How did they come up with this???

I know that many researchers use feces to find things out about biological organisms when they can't get a look inside through other means. For instance, researchers in the jungle that don't want to (or can't) capture the animals pick up the animal's feces to explore their diet, health, and other things. Probably in the process of doing something like that, scientists discovered the variety of bacteria that can have different effects on organisms.

willow

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 10:07 am
Don't read Ami but I would find it fascinating.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room