Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling and working part time?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:30 pm
Hi, I am a mom starting to do some research into homeschooling. I have three kids in school, 2 of whom are fine, but one is really struggling. I would be interested in pulling him out but leaving the other 2 where they are. Due to the financial realities, I would have to continue working, at least part time (say about 15 hours a week). Does anyone successfully work and homeschool? (the profession I have precludes me from working from home but the 15 hours are flexible though daytime only). I also wonder how challenging it would be to homeschool only 1 child because he wouldn't have siblings to play with or keep him company. Seeking any thoughts about the above.
TIA!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:33 pm
I did that this year with my 3.5 year old and a 1 year old. I can just tell you working part time and homeschooling was extremely hard. It taught me that, although homeschooling is wonderful and beautiful ideally, realistically, day to day, when supper needs to get on the table and laundry etc. it was just totally overwhelming for me. Yes, I'm into including the kids and waldorff type of learning where the kids are included in the day to day runnig of the house, but at a certain point in the day it's like, enough. I b"h have them signed up for school next year.

This is just my own personal opinion.

4Sisters

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:00 pm
How old is the child you're thinking of hs'ing? It's a big difference between hs'ing a 7 year-old (I.e. you need to be with him/her every moment) and hs'ing a 15 y/o who can stay home alone.

Are there any hs'ing organizations where you live? My family used to be involved in one (out of business now) that had 3 days of drop-off education/week. Most families used the service so that the hs'ing parent could work part-time. I used it to hang out with my other hs'ed kids who were younger and usually got the short end of the stick re. my time.

I did work while hs'ing my kids, but only from home. I don't know how I would have managed to work outside the house when they were young. My eldest is still hs'ing (17 y/o) but I am no longer "teaching" her--only shlepping her to outside courses Smile

Hatzlacha figuring this out.

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:41 am
where are you located and how old is your son? I would be very interested in speaking to you... can you please PM me? My son is a very bright almost 9 year old and I am considering home schooling him.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:59 am
amother wrote:
I did that this year with my 3.5 year old and a 1 year old. I can just tell you working part time and homeschooling was extremely hard. It taught me that, although homeschooling is wonderful and beautiful ideally, realistically, day to day, when supper needs to get on the table and laundry etc. it was just totally overwhelming for me. Yes, I'm into including the kids and waldorff type of learning where the kids are included in the day to day runnig of the house, but at a certain point in the day it's like, enough. I b"h have them signed up for school next year.

This is just my own personal opinion.

It's not homeschooling when you're talking about a baby and a toddler.

granolamom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:16 am
I am currently hs'ing my sixth grader. other kids are in school for now, two in preschool so I am on a preschool schedule. meaning I only have hours 9:30-2:30 available to hs. I dont work but I have a ton of things to do (I'm noticing that as the kids get bigger the errands take on a life of their own) and its hard balancing things. my homeschooler is ok staying home alone every now and then (probably about 8 hrs per week). I usually set him up with some independent work and reading before I go. I do have some household help (twice weekly) and this year I pay her for an extra hour each day she is here to help me with the laundry. there are alot of things that go undone (I could use a manicure and some spring clothes and I havent hosted shabbos lunch in a looooong time and my house is alot less organized that it used to be) but my son is happy and thriving.
if you believe this is what you need to do, you will find a way. assuming your child can be home alone or that you have childcare, working 15 hrs/week while homeschooling sounds hard but doable.

granolamom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:17 am
oh wanted to add about not having siblings to play with...my homeschooler is SO HAPPY to see his sibs when they come home. they get along better than ever before. its a really nice benefit for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling