Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Chatzos.com - Does anyone do this?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 9:12 am
My dh just went to a shiur where they discussed this. Dh has the idea that we should do this. So, while I think it is a brilliant idea, I don't know if I could possibly do it.

Btw, chatzos.com is an idea that we should all be completely ready for shabbos by chatzos on Friday so that we bring in shabbos with a sense of calm. It helps our children NOT equate shabbos with stress and a flurry of activity, but truly as a day of rest.

What do you think?

syrima

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 9:50 am
I did it when I wasn't working full time.
I didn't freeze ahead so much and I wasn't OCD about it.
Main thing was that I made sure my table was set for Shabbos and all major cooking was done by chatzos on Friday. This forced me to plan, shop, cook ahead of time - it made erev Shabbos a lot less stressful.
I also tried to light about 20 minutes earlier.
That way the "last minute" things (lights,blech) were taken care of BEFORE the last minute.
Many women do it and I highly recommend it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:30 am
I'm happy enough when I light on time ...

besides I like everything fresh out of the oven so the later I cook the better the taste

3 little 1s

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:04 pm
I think its a really good thing to do. I had a friend who used to do it (not sure if she still does?).

It can give a SAHM a real focus to the week, and suits those who like planning etc.
Saying that, I once had a job that involved me working friday afternoons, and I think I was more ready for Shabbos when I did that job than now, when I dont work on fridays!

I would love to do it at some point in my life.

Right now, like greenfire...Im happy to light on time!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:06 pm
My daughter used to have swim team Friday Fternoons and I was always ready mostly by Thursday night but for me it depends on my week whether I am ready early or not. Shabbat Shalom a caterer my life can be all kinds of crazy.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:04 pm
I think about it, and sort of do it sometimes. I'd suggest people read the getting started posts and inspirational posts. No one is really militant. Maybe some people for themselves, but not for everyone. It's not like you can't participate if you don't do xy and z.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:23 pm
I think its a beautiful idea! Since I am married( even working full time) I have been ready for shabbos like by ten am! I cook early morning like 8-9 am and thursday afternoon( bake all then too). The only thing I have to do is baths... Friday is the most relaxing weekday.... In the long fridays now we go to different parks or other nice place and calculate to be home a certain time. I have a system and laundry is done on certain days( not friday).

Bea21

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:19 pm
I try to have as much as I can done by Friday so that I can have a non-stressful day, cuz I know that I can get very worked up/stressed out when things are not ready. My mother got me into the idea, but neither of us feel that we can't lift a finger after chatzos; it's just a frame of mind to rearrange the week so erev shabbos is more calm.
Also different things work at different stages/for different people. E.g. My mother started it after I was married; my sisters set the table Thursday night. I don't set the table until shortly before dh comes home from shul, because 2 toddlers will pull it all onto the floor soon after if I do it earlier!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:39 pm
I usually do it. I like the chatzos board too.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 5:14 pm
I don't get the point.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 2:25 am
We don't do Chatzos but my husband came up with the idea to be ready for Shabbos 2 hours early so that we can bring Shabbos in calmly (for some reason, the kids who wash the floor do it right as I'm lighting candles!!!).
This past Friday we did it and it was great!

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 3:59 am
My goal isn't chatzos, it is before the kids get home from school (which in the winter is 11:30am and the summer around noon - so sometimes chatzos, sometimes not) and in the summer our goal is to have everything done in time to take lunch to a park outside the city.

Tuesday I made challah, Wednesday soup stock, Thursday afternoon the kids clean up, clear off the dining room table and set it and peel the vegetables so I can cook more easily. Thursday night I make the gefilta fish, bake and prepare the chicken so I just have to put it in the oven Friday morning. Friday morning I put vegetables into the soup, the chicken into the oven, make cholent and prepare shalosh seudos foods (tuna, eggs, etc). Salads are made fresh before the meals.

The kids often make potato kugel (they peel the veges Thursday, I cut them and have them waiting to be ground) when they come home from school, but that is actually eaten Friday afternoon, not really on Shabbos.

Some of the kids shower before school Friday morning so there is no last minute rush. DH takes my son with him to mikvah and they shower there.

All in all, B"H Friday is a pretty relaxed day here most of the time. On occasion I am out Thursday and it throws off our whole schedule, but I try to avoid that when possible.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:35 am
oliveoil wrote:
I don't get the point.

There are lots of facets. There's the practical. Not everyone's an adrenaline junkie. And to be fair to people who davka cook Friday because they like fresh or whatever, if they're organized enough to do it, kol hakavod.

There's the kavod Shabbos. Just like you wouldn't keep a very chashuv person waiting, you'd rearrange your schedule to be sure that YOU'RE the one waiting, it's considered kavod Shabbos not to be slapdash and panting at the finish line. Of course there are all sorts of possibilities and circumstance. I remember reading a story about a kiruv school in E"Y that found out last minute that they needed to do lots of work, and that involved painting the building to as late as possible. A rav involved ran into shul, in his stained dungarees just about at the zman and the Chassidishe Rebbe there told his kehilla, don't scold him, this is holiness.

I think I get the point because I grew up with stories of my grandfathers who had to hit the streets every week to find a new job because of Shabbos. I've heard of people - people plural, who all had the same idea - who promised themselves that when this tekufa would end, and they would have stability, they would do their best to be ready for Shabbos by chatzos. (It's not a newfangled concept.) It may have taken to retirement, but they did it.

Even if we don't stick to a rigid luach, there's a lot to learn from the site, and to think about incorporating into our lives. My take on it, at least.

A P.S.: It's not all about the cooking. Cleaning, laundry, etc.... a lot of this filters out into weeklong household organization and IMO it's a good thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational