Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How much to pay mother's helper

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:27 pm
I'm hiring a 10 year old girl to watch my baby for me for two hours a day in the summer, while I'm at home. I live in America. How much is a reasonable per-hour rate to pay her?

Lani22

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:35 pm
I would give her $15 for the 2 hours.

busydev

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:41 pm
a 10 year old when you are there... I would say something like $6-7/hr tops due to inflation (when I was 12 I took $5 an hour to be a MH- and $7/8 when babysitting)

but other places have different rates....

Last edited by busydev on Wed, Apr 24 2013, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 4:00 pm
That sounds like a lot. I had a mother's helper last year for a few hours before Pesach and she was 11. She charged $4 an hour. $4 per hour seems very little but if I do hire a mother's helper for two hours every day for the whole summer, $8 an hour seems like a lot for a 10 year old. But then again, I'm only judging from the Pre-Pesach girl last year.

What do you think?

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 4:02 pm
I think $5 an hour is ok. Ask her what she thinks.

harriet

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds like a lot. I had a mother's helper last year for a few hours before Pesach and she was 11. She charged $4 an hour. $4 per hour seems very little but if I do hire a mother's helper for two hours every day for the whole summer, $8 an hour seems like a lot for a 10 year old. But then again, I'm only judging from the Pre-Pesach girl last year.

What do you think?

Totally agree with you. When you are hiring for a lot of hours you pay much less per hour than the per hour rate of a one night babysitter. That's why I pay $6/hour for my baby that I drop off every day (at a married woman's house) but $10/hour for the teenager who comes about once a month to babysit for the night while my husband and I attend a simcha. . .

I think a 10 year old doing a steady job of 2 hours/day should receive between 4 and 6 dollars/hour. She's only 10 and it's a lot of hours.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:46 pm
Thank you so much for your responses. Very helpful.

supermommy07

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:05 pm
I would pay her $50-$55 per week. Assuming she is working for you 5 days a week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics