Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Anonymous chareidi men performing mitzvot
1  2  3  Next

staten islander

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 11:52 pm
As some of you know, I am MO ,wear pants and don't cover my hair. I took my DS to Target today. The Target in my town is a 30 minute drive for me, but is 5 minutes from the Yeshiva Of Staten Island. As I was walking out, I dropped my glasses and broke them. I had a long, hard day and, instead of thinking clearly, burst into tears.Two black hat men walked past me. They noticed me crying like and saw my son's kippa and asked me if everything was ok. I explained that I broke my glasses and couldn't drive home. they asked me if my husband could come get me, but we only have one car and DH was at work anyway.I have no family in Staten Island and all my friends live in my area, at least a half hour away.
The men conferred for a minute and then told me that one of them would drive my car to my house and the other would follow and then bring his friend home. I was stunned but so relieved.
I also tried to thank them or at least get their names so I can send something but they brushed me off,saying its their mitzvah.

We have engaged in some heavy bashing of some groups lately,on various threads.Each of us feels that our way of practicing Judaism is correct and we must convince others of this fact. Tonight I learned two important lessons-when push comes to shove, people's true nature prevails and we,regardless of affiliation, must epitomize the posuk"bnei israek areivim zeh la zeh." Lesson two-keep spare glasses in the car

staten islander

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 11:53 pm
If you are from SI, and know these men,please let me know what their family name and address is via pm.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 11:55 pm
I find it achingly sad that you found this story noteworthy.

SJcookie

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 11:58 pm
MaBelleVie - really? Why?

I find this to be so beautiful and inspirational. Mi k'amacha k'yisrael?
Thank you for sharing, OP. You're right. Ahavat Yisrael should be our top priority.
And I'm sorry that you've been having a tough time recently. I hope everything gets easier for you Hug

staten islander

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:01 am
I was trying to refer to the recent slew of Chareidi bashing threads by relating a personal experience.I am sorry I upset you-my message is that a lot of posters here think Chareidim are insular, don't care about anyone else, etc. I am saying its NOT true and giving a concrete example.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:05 am
staten islander wrote:
I was trying to refer to the recent slew of Chareidi bashing threads by relating a personal experience.I am sorry I upset you-my message is that a lot of posters here think Chareidim are insular, don't care about anyone else, etc. I am saying its NOT true and giving a concrete example.

I understood your point, and I'm not upset with you in a personal way. I appreciate you sharing something positive. Your story just highlighted what people think about charedim, and that was sad for me.

staten islander

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:12 am
MabelleVie, Imamother is not representative of the general population. Come to Staten island, where all the communities get along and you will see a lot of cooperation,respect and friendship between the MO and black hat communities.The MO school and the yeshivish girl school share a building,kids play together and people get along splendidly.So come for Shabbos and you will see that all is well in the world Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:15 am
BH I live in a very integrated community as well, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad your own experiences are overall positive Smile

grace413

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 3:05 am
I think it's a beautiful story. Very kind of these men to go so far out of their way to do a chessed.

Simple1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 7:09 am
That's a nice story. Whenever I see complaints about rude frum Jews, I think that deep down many of them are very kind and there when you need them, despite not having polished manners.

r_ch

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 7:13 am
Lesson 3. Look like a Jew so that your fellow Jews recognize you.

cookiejar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 7:13 am
Simple1 wrote:
That's a nice story. Whenever I see complaints about rude frum Jews, I think that deep down many of them are very kind and there when you need them, despite not having polished manners.

And lots of frum Jews DO have polished manners... Thank you for sharing, that is a very nice story, and I'm glad your day was uplifted Smile

Simple1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 7:48 am
cookiejar wrote:
Simple1 wrote:

And lots of frum Jews DO have polished manners... Thank you for sharing, that is a very nice story, and I'm glad your day was uplifted Smile

I agree. I was referring to the posts that show up here once in a while.

jerusalem-girl

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:19 am
Very nice story. Thank you for sharing. I think that too often ideals get very heated. But in real life, we're here for each other.

I had something similar when the car we were in broke down in middle of nowhere on an Israeli road. We were waiting for help to get the car started. I got out, holding a baby.

Two young ,secular men drove me to my destination which was far from where they were going, while my husband stood behind with the car.

I begged them to take money, but they refused.

Last edited by jerusalem-girl on Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

staten islander

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:21 am
Lesson 3. Look like a Jew so that your fellow Jews recognize you

R_ch- I take offense at that, I don't look any less a Jew then you do

smilethere

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:26 am
MaBelleVie wrote:

Since when do Charedi men do mitzvot? I thought all they do is make a chilul Hashem.

jerusalem-girl

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:29 am
smilethere wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Since when do Charedi men do mitzvot? I thought all they do is make a chilul Hashem.

I don't think you understood what MaBelleVie was saying. Read again.

smilethere

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:31 am
jerusalem-girl wrote:
smilethere wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

No I was being sarcastic, and agreed with MaBelleVie's post that it is sad that finding charedi men doing mitzvos seems to be suprising and not the standard you would expect.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:34 am
Beautiful story, thanks for sharing it!

jerusalem-girl

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:35 am
smilethere wrote:
jerusalem-girl wrote:
smilethere wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

No I was being sarcastic, and agreed with MaBelleVie's post that it is sad that finding charedi men doing mitzvos seems to be suprising and not the standard you would expect.

Sorry! My sarcasm alert is down.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette