Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I cut off the mold?

seeker

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 11:31 pm
I think something's wrong with my fridge... meanwhile my veggies keep going moldy too fast. What can I save? Can I remove the outer layer of moldy peels from all my zucchini and go ahead with the soup I was planning?! Or is that just gross?

Happy18

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 11:33 pm
I wouldn't use it.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 11:38 pm
I think its fine to cut the bad parts and use the rest

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 11:41 pm
I was taught that if one part of the veggie is moldy, the whole thing is no good and should not be eaten.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:42 am
Ok, ok... I went ahead and googled it, and it seems there is an argument made for cutting off a moldy spot but since I have quite a few moldy spots I'm going to chuck the whole lot. So much for thinking I had bought enough produce to not have to go shopping until later this week!

So, moving on: How do you PREVENT things from getting moldy? I've had zucchini last weeks in the fridge! This lasted barely 3 days, I think.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:49 am
It's OK to cut one inch around and below the mold on hard fruits or veg only. Anything soft or moist should be tossed, because toxins can spread easily and not be seen.

Prevention- make sure all produce is in good shape when you select in the store. Everything should be stored dry once you get home- you may have to dry them off before putting away. The fridge itself should be dry- I line bins with fresh paper towel every week, and keep shelves clean and dry. Keep the humidity low for anything stored out of the fridge.

sarahd

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 3:48 am
If you have a bag of produce, eg. a bag of carrots, put a paper towel into the bag to absorb the moisture that the produce emits. Also, certain fruits and vegetables shouldn't be near each other. If you have two drawers (I don't) google which should be separated and divide them between the drawers.

tamara00

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 8:08 am
As a rule I cut round the mould and I'm still here to tell the tale!!

StrongIma

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 10:27 am
I cut off the moldy parts and then smell what's left - if it smells ok, I use it.

bnm

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 11:01 am
bleach your fridge

willow

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:31 pm
I cut off mold and use it

BlueRose52

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 2:02 pm
I cut off mold sometimes (when it's food I really want to eat), but I've read that it's not advisable, since there is further mold (called root threads) which has permeated farther into the food and is not visible, so cutting it away probably doesn't get it all. But like I said, I don't always follow the rule myself. You can get away with it, but it's not the smarter approach.

The USDA has a whole page on mold: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/facts.....food/

Make sure to check out the table at the bottom which lists which foods are ok to eat, or to cut around, if they're moldy.

Miri1

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 7:45 pm
I'd be most careful with produce eaten raw.

With zucchini, even before it gets moldy it can often be bitter, so I may not have risked that one.
I'll use floppy carrots in a soup, or roast tomatoes that are on the edge, but wouldn't do anything with it raw.
Once there's more than one spot of mold, I'd throw out.

StrongIma

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:15 am
Miri1 wrote:
I'd be most careful with produce eaten raw.

With zucchini, even before it gets moldy it can often be bitter, so I may not have risked that one.
I'll use floppy carrots in a soup, or roast tomatoes that are on the edge, but wouldn't do anything with it raw.
Once there's more than one spot of mold, I'd throw out.
oh yes - even if I cut it off and use it, I wouldn't eat it raw, only cooked well.

over-ripe zucchini can be peeled twice and then used - it's the outside that's bitter.

Redbird

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:55 am
I usually cut off mold.

from my experience, DO NOT store vegetables in the plastic bag, and paper towel is a great idea, especially for cut up veggies

fourkids

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 3:24 pm
Throw it out!
Mold goes further than the eye can see.
Better safe than sorry.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 4:16 pm
do you think they make food with top produce at factories and restaurants ... they cut off the bad and use the good stuff ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen