Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Possible to be somewhat modern in Lakewood?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 10:35 pm
Another vote for Highland Park/Edison. Many of the teachers at the local yeshivot do the opposite commute. It's doable.

Jughead

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 11:11 pm
small bean wrote:
jughead, the school I send to has no internet rules at all.... and it is not a modern school.

huh.
I thought it was across the board.
you learn something new every day!
thanks, sb!

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:30 am
I clicked on the YNJ website because I'm interested in Jewish communuities all over the world. I could tell in two seconds that it's not what the OP is looking for. This school looks MO or maybe Yeshiva Lite. (It may be an excellent school!)

I'm curious to know which school(s) are a good fit for the OP because the way she describes her practices seems largely similar to mine.

rosenbal

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:29 am
YNJ is definitely not yeshivish at all. It's a great school but no for OP. It's a MO school, but the frummer end of Teaneck/Bergenfield send there. I believe there's another school near Highland Park/Edison which would work for the OP. It's not Hillel, its more of an OOT yeshivish school I think. I've heard good things about it. We're not from NJ, but have looked into things in the past. OP you should start a Highland Park/Edison thread so you get more of those peopke replying. You sound similar to me on the spectrum and I would go for Edison/HP area.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:40 am
I have relatives all over Lakewood and from what Ive heard/seen areas like Chestnut or Raintree (and there are probably others I dont know about with working husbands who might have been Yeshivish at some point in their lives, but no longer are) would be a very good fit. Do others here agree or disagree? I see that even Lakewood Yeshivish isnt the same as Brooklyn Yeshivish, with women wearing baseball caps over their sheitels. Theyre in no way real Yeshivish and neither are their kids. Ideally you have to find that kind of people who are far from cookie cutter Yeshivish, to advise you on schools.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:40 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I clicked on the YNJ website because I'm interested in Jewish communuities all over the world. I could tell in two seconds that it's not what the OP is looking for. This school looks MO or maybe Yeshiva Lite. (It may be an excellent school!)

I'm curious to know which school(s) are a good fit for the OP because the way she describes her practices seems largely similar to mine.

Well, then, maybe she should send to satmar Wink

willow

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:35 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
I don't think the issue is with living in Lakewood. I know some modern people there.
The issue is that you're going to have a very difficult time getting your kids into schools.

I agree wholeheartedly it has become a huge mix not quite Baltimore but still getting all types

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:37 am
Just curious, which boy schools in Lakewood did you hear of having a good English education?
I've only heard of Tashbar so far...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:48 am
I have a few friends living in Lakewood that are not typical yeshivish Lakewood type at all and are happy there. I don't know what yeshiva Kol torah is but two of them send there.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:48 am
I met a gentleman at a wedding yesterday who is a Baal tshuva . He taught in many public schools.
For the past 6 years he has subbed in all the Lakewood mosdos.
He claims the sec studies are abysmal in all of them .
Boys entering 9th grade can't write a coherent sentence, have poor writing skills, the vocabulary of s 4th grader, and very little knowledge of basic science that 3 rd graders of average intelligence should know

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:55 am
OP, I grew up in Lakewood and still live there. DH and I are both working professionals, he is clean shaven, wears colored shirts. We live near yeshiva so yes we stick out but there are other areas (Raintree and Chestnut as mentioned previously) where it sounds like you can really fit in. School-wise it sounds like Bnos Rivka or YTT would be where to send your children if you want them to go with like-minded families.

YNJ or Hillel as mentioned previously seem way too left wing for what you sound like you are looking for. Highland Park is a great mix as well but Lakewood has more conveniences in terms of stores, availability, food etc. as I know many people from Highland Park and Edison come to Lakewood often for clothing and food shopping. Either one should be doable from the way you describe yourself, but keep in mind Lakewood you may be more on the left wing side whereas for Highland Park you may be more to the right than many people (aside from those who joined the local kollel). It is up to you if you have a preference - some prefer to be the more modern in an otherwise frummer community while others want to be the frummest in a more modern community so I would advise you to spend a shabbos or at the very least drive around and go to stores one Sunday in either place and see where you feel most comfortable.

Having spent a weekend in a more left wing community several weeks ago, I can say that we were happy to come back to 'frum' Lakewood even if we are more left wing and open minded than most, but it is a personal preference and something you should factor into your decision. Personally we find it is easier to bring up children in a right wing community and expose them to what we would like them to know of than to have other families with more exposed children educating our own kids. It's all a matter of preference so that is what it will come down to in making your decision. Best of luck!

smiledr

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:02 pm
Edison/hp sounds like a great fit. It's half mo and half black hat with a wide range within (no tv but movies etc) shaarei tzion is the frummer school and Rpry is mo - both are great. U can get all the food u need and there are five kosher eating establishments. It's worth checking out. There are plenty of pple who commute to Lakewood from here.

mommyla

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious, which boy schools in Lakewood did you hear of having a good English education?
I've only heard of Tashbar so far...

And Orchos Chaim. Maybe YTT too, I'm not sure.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:26 pm
small bean wrote:
The way you describe yourself you would fit into lakewood. It is not a box, as many would like to believe, and there are many schools that have a parent body with the description you are giving.

In regards to education, many girls/boys go on to college with no problem. All the high schools allow SAT's - and most students do score well on them.

This is completely untrue. I went to hs in lkwd. Most of the kids there don't even know what SATs are and certainly do not take them.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:
The way you describe yourself you would fit into lakewood. It is not a box, as many would like to believe, and there are many schools that have a parent body with the description you are giving.

In regards to education, many girls/boys go on to college with no problem. All the high schools allow SAT's - and most students do score well on them.

This is completely untrue. I went to hs in lkwd. Most of the kids there don't even know what SATs are and certainly do not take them.

Well, then, things must have changed since you were in school. Nowadays, it's par for the course. My DD graduated from Bais Shaindel (RW Yeshivish school) and more than 1/2 th girls took the SAT's - and did well on them, too.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:24 pm
Well DUH!!!
The girls had better go to college and make BIG money because the parents and grandparents are tapped out...
If you say that the average boy knows what an SAT is or can even do well on a GED you are lying .simple as that

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:29 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Well DUH!!!
The girls had better go to college and make BIG money because the parents and grandparents are tapped out...
If you say that the average boy knows what an SAT is or can even do well on a GED you are lying .simple as that

Sorry-you are right. I was talking about the girls. I can't think of a single Mesivta in Lakewood where the boys are prepared for that!

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:29 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Well, then, maybe she should send to satmar Wink

LOL

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:34 pm
I see that even Lakewood Yeshivish isnt the same as Brooklyn Yeshivish, with women wearing baseball caps over their sheitels. Theyre in no way real Yeshivish and neither are their kids.

Which are real yeshivish and which are unreal yeshivish with baseball caps over sheitels? Lakewood or Brooklyn?

abby1776

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:37 pm
Lots of "yeshivish" people where I lived in Monsey sent to YNJ because the secular education was stronger than in monsey schools.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating