Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Possible to be somewhat modern in Lakewood?
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:
The way you describe yourself you would fit into lakewood. It is not a box, as many would like to believe, and there are many schools that have a parent body with the description you are giving.

In regards to education, many girls/boys go on to college with no problem. All the high schools allow SAT's - and most students do score well on them.

This is completely untrue. I went to hs in lkwd. Most of the kids there don't even know what SATs are and certainly do not take them.

Well, then, things must have changed since you were in school. Nowadays, it's par for the course. My DD graduated from Bais Shaindel (RW Yeshivish school) and more than 1/2 th girls took the SAT's - and did well on them, too.

Girls and education in Lakewood are really not the issue in Lakewood. There is excellent education for girls in Lakewood, both in elementary schools and high schools. Many girls take SATs in Lakewood becuase they can get grants for seminary if they have a good score (most do.)

The boys are the ones with the issue. I think that you can find elementary schools for your boys. Tashbar is an excellent school, although I hear they are becoming a bit more selective with who they accept. Orchos Chaim and Kol Torah are two schools that I think might suit you though I'm not sure about the secular education, but definitely a good idea to look into these three schools, imo.

For high school, I don't know if there are high schools for your boys in Lakewood. But it is quite common in general for boys to go OOT for high school, though I don't know how you feel about that.

Any other questions? I'd be glad to help out. I grew up in Lakewood and still here:) (Oh, and I do NOT fit the mold.)

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:
The way you describe yourself you would fit into lakewood. It is not a box, as many would like to believe, and there are many schools that have a parent body with the description you are giving.

In regards to education, many girls/boys go on to college with no problem. All the high schools allow SAT's - and most students do score well on them.

This is completely untrue. I went to hs in lkwd. Most of the kids there don't even know what SATs are and certainly do not take them.

Not true at all. The girls take SATs to get grants for seminaries. And it is not uncommon for girls to go after degrees so that they can have money making careers.

Now boys are a different story. But they are sharpening their brains with intensive Torah study, I know a bachur who became very educated just by reading a lot of secular/intellectual books.

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 7:08 pm
To the OP: "Modern" is relative. I think it's best to check it out in person, to get a feel for the place to see if it's your type and maybe meet people who can give you good advice.

Lovey Dovey

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 7:56 pm
Jughead wrote:
don't all the schools in Lakewood have the "no internet" rule?

Hmm, and?

It most be imamother works in Lakewood without an Internet connection! I wonder if they even need a computer????

Very Happy

Jughead

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 2:48 am
My point in bringing up the no internet rule was because OP said she allows internet
so if she wants to get her kids into a school that has a no internet policy, that would be a problem
unless she's planning on lying about it. but it didn't seem to me that she would go that route (nor do I think she should FTR)

and I'm not questioning the many imamothers from lakewood - it's no biggie to get an ishur. the issue is allowing access to the kids

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 2:55 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

Well, then, things must have changed since you were in school. Nowadays, it's par for the course. My DD graduated from Bais Shaindel (RW Yeshivish school) and more than 1/2 th girls took the SAT's - and did well on them, too.

Girls and education in Lakewood are really not the issue in Lakewood. There is excellent education for girls in Lakewood, both in elementary schools and high schools. Many girls take SATs in Lakewood becuase they can get grants for seminary if they have a good score (most do.)

The boys are the ones with the issue. I think that you can find elementary schools for your boys. Tashbar is an excellent school, although I hear they are becoming a bit more selective with who they accept. Orchos Chaim and Kol Torah are two schools that I think might suit you though I'm not sure about the secular education, but definitely a good idea to look into these three schools, imo.

For high school, I don't know if there are high schools for your boys in Lakewood. But it is quite common in general for boys to go OOT for high school, though I don't know how you feel about that.

Any other questions? I'd be glad to help out. I grew up in Lakewood and still here:) (Oh, and I do NOT fit the mold.)

Is Tashbar a persian/sfardi school?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

Totally not true I went there over twelve yrs ago and it was common knowledge and the schools even helped us

sayinghi

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

Is Tashbar a persian/sfardi school?

No

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:
The way you describe yourself you would fit into lakewood. It is not a box, as many would like to believe, and there are many schools that have a parent body with the description you are giving.u

Oh so now they have changed their minds? They started to realize that but telling the students they will go to hell if they don't marry s/o who will learn until he dies, that there needs to be a feasible way to make this happen because when I went to that hs years ago we were taught college was assur and there were some teachers who even made fun of people trying to get a degree.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:
The way you describe yourself you would fit into lakewood. It is not a box, as many would like to believe, and there are many schools that have a parent body with the description you are giving.u

Oh so now they have changed their minds? They started to realize that but telling the students they will go to hell if they don't marry s/o who will learn until he dies, that there needs to be a feasible way to make this happen because when I went to that hs years ago we were taught college was assur and there were some teachers who even made fun of people trying to get a degree.

There may be issues with the kollel system, but I'm pointing out for those who don't know that the bolded is not true. 1) Kollel might be strongly encouraged, but no one is told their going to hell if they don't (at least I'm not aware of this being taught. 2) Many many yeshivish Lakewood people go get a parnasah after their family starts to grow. There are even organizations to supposedly help people get a parnassah - and these are endorced by BMG (the Yeshiva).

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:16 am
Simple1 wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

There may be issues with the kollel system, but I'm pointing out for those who don't know that the bolded is not true. 1) Kollel might be strongly encouraged, but no one is told their going to hell if they don't (at least I'm not aware of this being taught. 2) Many many yeshivish Lakewood people go get a parnasah after their family starts to grow. There are even organizations to supposedly help people get a parnassah - and these are endorced by BMG (the Yeshiva).

Thanks for posting this. I went to Bais Yaakov High School of Lakewood and I was never told that I'm going to hell if my husband works. Yes, it is strongly encouraged. But I've also had teachers talk about if one day it comes to it that your husband has to go to work..... It is talked about though I agree not by all teachers. It's absolutely not true that teachers will tell you that you're going to burn if your dh is working. Please.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I went to Bais Yaakov High School of Lakewood and I was never told that I'm going to hell if my husband works. Yes, it is strongly encouraged. But I've also had teachers talk about if one day it comes to it that your husband has to go to work..... It is talked about though I agree not by all teachers. It's absolutely not true that teachers will tell you that you're going to burn if your dh is working. Please.

I was referring to one specific school, bais shaindel so unless you went there for hs you can not tell anyone what is and what is not being taught there. While bais yaakov is maybe a tiny bit more " liberal" in this respect don't kid yourself about the bullsh** that is being talk in these high schools and specifically bais shaindel. Kollel is not just " strongly encouraged" but taught to he the only option ( def. For the first predetermined five yrs) those organizations that you mention are wonderful in helping the thousands of pple who got married really young and had no clue what they were getting themselves into and suddenly wake up four years and five kids later and see that they have no marketable skills in this dismal economy.
So while the school convnce your kids to live off your money until they are stuck up a creek without a paddle you can relax on the couch with a cup of coffee and delude yourself into thinking that this is just an encouraged way of life!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:52 am
It gets better. If previous amother were to say what she did publicly to any group of young girls they would say mockingly "you sound bitter"

Jughead

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 12:40 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
It gets better. If previous amother were to say what she did publicly to any group of young girls they would say mockingly "you sound bitter"

she does

Lovey Dovey

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 2:57 am
Jughead wrote:
My point in bringing up the no internet rule was because OP said she allows internet
so if she wants to get her kids into a school that has a no internet policy, that would be a problem
unless she's planning on lying about it. but it didn't seem to me that she would go that route (nor do I think she should FTR)

and I'm not questioning the many imamothers from lakewood - it's no biggie to get an ishur. the issue is allowing access to the kids

Point well taken!

You sound like a person who follows the rules. But from what I hear, many people sign and use their neighbors internet etc.

I totally agree with the schools; children have no "Business" being on the internet, I don't care how Modern one is, don't expose your kids, its dangerous on so many levels.

Parents are a different story, we "need" Imamother and our husbands need..... Question

amother

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 2:58 am
I went to bshs, graduated 4 yrs ago. I NEVER got the impression that I would go to hell if I don't live the kollel lifestyle, and I was pretty cynical about some of the stuff we were taught.
of course they encourage kollel. it's lakewood, after all. (I think all lkwd schools encourage that.) basically the msg I got was that learning torah is a man's main obligation, and a wife can get rewarded for her husband's torah study if she enables him to learn. this does not mean a life of exclusive learning. it's learning whenever he manages it.
amother who also went to bshs - you sound really bitter. unfortunately a lot of ppl have gotten burned by some well meaning, but woefully incompetent people on the faculty.

amother

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 3:07 am
just want to add to the op who wanted to know abt lakewood:
if your kids are still young, you can find good elementary schools for them that fit your lifestyle/hashkafa. I'm sure in a couple of years a more liberal girl's HS will open up, but not so sure about boys. I wouldn't recommend any of the lakewood boys high schools - none of them have any sort of secular studies. ppl who want their kids to have a basic hs english education send out of town.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating