Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bris Outfit
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 9:54 am
I feel so dumb even posting this... what kind of outfit should I put my son in for his bris? Does it matter that much?

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 10:15 am
usually the mohel tell you if he needs something specific - the baby "gowns" with the string on bottom so he could hold baby better. Also some people put on a little knitted yarmulke - oh and MAZAL TOV!!!

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 10:18 am
My first son was born after 4 girls. I had no idea that people get a special bris outfit, and we lived "out-of-town", so there was really no one around to tell me otherwise. SO, I just put my son in a really cute sleeper with light and dark blue stripes. I did know about having a special "bris pillow". Since there was nowhere to get one in our town, our mohel who travelled to us bought one. I think his wife found it for us. It's gorgeous. If I had thought about the outfit, maybe I would have chosen something fancier. However, he looked really cute in the sleeper!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 10:19 am
I think the mohel will just want the outfit to have as easy access. So make sure it has snaps on the bottom, and not some fancy outfit that is hard to take on and off.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:02 pm
call the bris gemach 917-682-5403

shayna82

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:13 pm
I wanted my son to have a special outfit, so the day of the bris we rushed to a department store, and I found an adorable two piece sweater with a hood,and matching pants- blue checked. it was so cute, and it was worth the steep tommy hilfiger price, cuz I used it again with my second.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:24 pm
Any outfit that opens on the bottom is fine, although I think a white outfit is more appropriate (not so practical though! Wink )

Yitta

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:27 pm
I bought a simple, not expensive, blue two piece outfit for each of my 3 boys. The pants were easy to remove for the ceremony, and the baby was still not fully undressed, so not too cold at the same time. After the bris, I put the outfit away, and store it as a momento for them.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:45 pm
Original amother here- People lent me outfits and my mother bought outfits all with pants and tops but they're all way too big for my little baby. The only things that fit now are the little sleepers with snaps on the bottom. They aren't fancy or anything but I don't think I have a choice.

Yitta

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:08 pm
I should have included in my post that easy access for the ceremony is the most important. Don't be overly concerned about what the baby wears and don't worry. Mazel Tov! Enjoy your new baby. In reality, anything your baby wears will look adorable, I'm sure.

micki

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 3:37 pm
when is the bris? I have a bris outfit for 7-9 lbs. I'd be happy to mail it to you! (and then you mail it back...)
I have hte whole set, slippers, yarmulka blnket and outfit.
its white with snaps on the bottom, top looks like it has a vest.

klotzkashe

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 6:26 am
when my son was born I wanted him to wear a traditional white type of bris outfit. the mohel said he preferred s/thign wthout pants or snaps - someting like a dress. so my husband went to a shop tha tmakes 'chirestning outfits' for bbabies and ordered a
'dress that didn't look too much lik ea dress. he didn't realise that they'd make it out of SILK! so he comes to pick it up on the day b4 the bris and it looks like a girls shabbos dress!!!
so we just put him in a cotton nightie/dress and that provided easy access and quick return to mummy after the cut.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 11:10 pm
in my circles we usually puton a white 2 piece outfit, and we take the pants off before the actual bris. we dont have a big bris seudah for the ladies afterwards, so as soon as the baby gets home he's changed into his regular stretchy or wahtever.

downsyndrome

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 11:30 pm
The bris is a very special occasion for the baby and family. We 'own' a family bris outfit that is passed around (it's actually my sister's) whenever the simcha arises. It is pure white and very, very fancy and elegant. Our family has had several mohalim who have stated that they DO prefer that the baby should wear a pants and top outfit. It is easiest for the mohel to remove the bottom completely, without having to worry about one-piece rompers that are snapped and might roll down over the mohel's hands while performing the bris, even if the romper was tucked up and under.
Mindy, why do you say that about not having women's breakfasts? I have made the most beautiful, lavish bris breakfasts for my sons! I do remember years ago being very upset with a male neighbor who needled my husband about the 'Boro Park' bris that we made, when on precisely that night (Friday night) this very same neighbor made a lavish spread in his house cuz it was the night b/4 his son's aufruf and he did the 'shtreimel-viewing' party. To throw that dumb party it made sense to him to spend tons of money, but for us to enhance a bris, which is a tremendous mitzvah, he thought was overdone. Go figure!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 12:15 am
oh we also had a gorgeous ladies breakfast. but it wasnt in the shul; it was at my mother's house, so the baby was brought bak home and changed immediately into somethin comfortable andclean.

avigayil

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 12:30 am
For our ds, the we had a cute navy blue velour 2 piece. It was a bit large, but it worked fine.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 1:20 pm
I have a christening gown, that we used for our sons, it is beautiful!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 7:10 pm
micki wrote:
when is the bris? I have a bris outfit for 7-9 lbs. I'd be happy to mail it to you! (and then you mail it back...)
I have hte whole set, slippers, yarmulka blnket and outfit.
its white with snaps on the bottom, top looks like it has a vest.
Wow. What a sweet offer. Thanks but we already made the bris. In the end he just wore a cute sleeper with a collar (made it look a little fancier) with snaps and it worked out fine.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:05 am
My MIL always assumes that the mother doesn't go to the Bris. Maybe that was how it was done in her day, but I don't think I have ever actually gone to a Bris and not seen the mother there. The mother usually stays in another room, but a few times I have seen the mother in the shul listening to her baby yell during the actual ceremony.
Do mothers go to the bris or not?

Doesn't the baby need to nurse the second the bris is done? If the mother is home, how does that work?

Curiousity question!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:15 am
I think in the chasseedishe circles its more common that mothers dont go to the bris at all. (although I did cause I live OOT, and I cried buckets when baby cried embarrassed ). If the mother is not there, the baby is either rushed home or given a bottle. I know people who live in B.P. and send their babies to Monsey (the Rebbe) for the bris and the mothers stay home- and enjoy their vacation!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics