Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Purim Seudah Menu, What Will You Be Serving?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Are you eating the purime seudah at home or out?
at home  
 50%  [ 34 ]
out  
 50%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 68

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:22 am
I am not making a stitch of food fpr the seudah nor cleaning or preparing the house before nor after Smile .
Yahoooo I truly enjoy Purim..............incase you are starting to get jealous Twisted Evil don't worry I have Pesach which I have to do everything Wink

binah918

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:25 am
Homemade Challah

Green Salad (Don't know which one yet.)
Pasta and Pesto Salad
Sparlic
Arabisha Salat

Chicken Marbella with Parsley, Prunes, and Green Olives
Stuffed Cabbage OR Kreplach
Stuffed Peppers with Pine Nuts and Mint (Vegetarian)
Sweet Potato/B-nut Squash Pie

Hamentaschen (My first time trying my mother's AMAZING recipe...I hope they some out well!)
Fruit Platter
Coffee/Tea

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 6:03 pm
Purim Challah, basically I add raisans and then sprinkle on top hundreds and thousands.

Mushroom vol a vonts

Chicken soup and kreplach

A choose between roast chichen, bola roll and pickled tongue.
Millenium salad
mushroom rice
and roasted vegetables.

Fruit platter
ice cream
jelly with a chocolate finger in it.

sweets of course and hamantashion.

do you reckion that is okey? I'am having either 19 people or 21 people not sure yet of the numbers.

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:49 am
OK, A change of plans.....

Instead of making the usual Seudah foods, we decided we're making a BBQ instead.
(Because the next day, Monday, we're taking the whole fam. to Yerushalayim, and will be eating 2 more Seudahs!!!!! By MY Parents and by my DH's Parents.
So, how much can you eat already?????

Here's what we'll be serving:
Franks in Blanks for the kiddoes
Hambergers
Chicken Steaks
Beef Steaks
Coleslaw
Sour-Crout
Baked Beans
Lettuce Salad
Dips: Salsa, Chumus, Chatzilim etc...
Rolls and Buns
Fruit Juices

Not sure what to serve for dessert.... any ideas? (other than MM?)

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:12 am
cindy324 wrote:
mumof1, I saw this at a wedding, I though it was so simple but delicious. I am making a big bowl of chocolate mousse, and serving fresh strawberries alongside. I know that the simplest way t make chocolate mousse is to add instant chocolate pudding powder to whipping cream and whip it up together. I just have to find the exact ratio.

has anyone ever done this? I'm tempted as I have a carton of rich's whip and a box of chocolate pudding [:

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:18 am
I found what the other potluckers are making.
Here's our full seuda:

Shnitzel pastrami roll-ups
mushroom rice
meatballs
roasted potatoes
soup w/ kreplach
salad

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:21 am
bashinda wrote:
cindy324 wrote:
mumof1, I saw this at a wedding, I though it was so simple but delicious. I am making a big bowl of chocolate mousse, and serving fresh strawberries alongside. I know that the simplest way t make chocolate mousse is to add instant chocolate pudding powder to whipping cream and whip it up together. I just have to find the exact ratio.

has anyone ever done this? I'm tempted as I have a carton of rich's whip and a box of chocolate pudding [:

I make that mousse for parfaits. Just use the entire container of Rich's whip, whip it, and then add the chocolate pudding powder and mix until it's completely blended.

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:26 am
Defy - what kind of consistency does this kind of Chocolate-Mousse have? Is it very puding-ie?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:28 am
No, it's more like whipped cream.

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:49 am
Thanks!
I'm going to add those 2 ingredients to my Shopping List for tomorrow.
I think I'll make it for my Seudah dessert!! LOL

Hannah!

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:49 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

cindy324

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:54 am
It's very light and fluffy, but I think that you should fold in the chocolate pudding powder by hand, or on slow speed with the paddle attachment. Last time I tried it, the whole thing curdled up on me, it got too thick, but it might've been because I used 1 small rich's whip and one whole box of the pudding embarrassed I think you gotta use 2 small rich's whip per box of pudding . I also just poured it into the and used the wire wisk to blend it in. BIG mistake LOL

happy2beme

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:25 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
happy2beme wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:
Purim night (Taanis Esther) we are having an extended family seudah, including my siblings and their children, including married couples with young kids. Everybody brings something there and it takes place at the shul across the street from my home. I am in charge of setting up the place.

Purim day I am doing in my home with my immediate family - my hubby and kids, including my married couple and grandson. I am downscaling my usual Purim style because of current circumstances.
My meal:
Homemade challah
Gefilte fish
French Roast w/sauce
Southern Fried Chicken
Stuffed Cabbage (bought)
Potato Blintzes
Cherry Pie
Anything missing?

downs, how do u make ur southern fried chicken? is it as crispy as fast food? I've always wanted to make one like kosher delight's

ur's & e/o else's menus sound yum!

There is one change in my menu; my darling sister offered me some of her homemade stuffed cabbage, so you can scratch the 'bought' from my menu.
I actually do the southern fried chicken with halved chicken bottoms - the thighs and drums separated. I coat each piece of chicken in flour, egg, and then a combination of matzoh ball mix and corn flake crumbs, or heimishe challah crumbs. I then fry in oil, remove, and bake in oven on low flame to get the meaty part of the chicken fully cooked and tender.

thx downs!!! the chicken sounds yum! how long do u bake it in oven? what's on a low flame? 250? Does it need any spices? (we're not into spicy at all, just don't want it to be bland) can u describe what it tastes like? just yummy home made chicken or like kd's or tov umaitiv's?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:49 pm
binah918 wrote:

Hamentaschen (My first time trying my mother's AMAZING recipe...I hope they some out well!)
Fruit Platter
Coffee/Tea
Binah918 I hope it's not too late for posting that amazing recipe. Please, my own recipe is doing it's usual flop. They keep opening up while baking! And somehow, I needed to add 3 more cups of flour than called for Confused

binah918

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 5:14 am
Well, Tzena, my hamentaschen also flopped Sad My mother doesn't like to cook and isn't very good at it, (and she'll be the first to admit this). But she has a few recipes that she's known for, including her hamentaschen. Thing is, the dough is very tricky and if you don't have the magic touch, they just don't come out. I guess I don't have that touch... I'll try again next year.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:51 am
DefyGravity wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Defy - the rice sounds delicious. I'm going to go for it!
2 questions:
1. Can I use white wine instead (no sherry in Israel)?
2. Can I use brown rice and just increase baking time?
Thanks so much for sharing!

I think that dry white wine is a good substitute - but I'm not 100% sure (I use cooking sherry).
If you use brown rice, add more water. I made it with 1/2 brown rice the other day, and had to add more water while cooking.

Thanks so much, Defy! It was delicious.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:03 am
our seuda was simple. we ended up with 2 guests (2 cancelled)

challah

Big Green Salad which I better eat today. ("the diet starts NOW!")

gefilte fish

soup with kreplach - I learned this year it doesn't work to make the dough 3 days ahead. it turned grey and horrible looking. I made new dough yesterday and all was good, B"H

Meat Borekas - it was so nifty. I used the same meat mix for both kreplach and borekas

Steak

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:06 am
shalhevet wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Defy - the rice sounds delicious. I'm going to go for it!
2 questions:
1. Can I use white wine instead (no sherry in Israel)?
2. Can I use brown rice and just increase baking time?
Thanks so much for sharing!

I think that dry white wine is a good substitute - but I'm not 100% sure (I use cooking sherry).
If you use brown rice, add more water. I made it with 1/2 brown rice the other day, and had to add more water while cooking.

Thanks so much, Defy! It was delicious.

I'm so glad you liked it!
It was devoured at my seudah. . . even though I kind of messed it up and it turned out a little mushy. Oh well, at least nobody cared and there weren't any leftovers.

withhumor

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:21 am
I decided to attempt stuffed cabbage for the first time, I cheated by using marinara sauce and it was a hit. (16 qt. leftovers though!)

So at night, l’shem mitzvah we had some soup and that’s all! in the morning though, the feast was on.

In the middle of the table was Mr. Fishman, a baby salmon baked whole and decorated with sable & lox ‘roses’ all around. Then there were dips and condiments (cole slaw, cucumber salad) all around.

I didn’t serve fish because it was right there buffet style. I also had a stack of small plastic plates, spoons and forks and cups. Smartest idea ever!

Then whoever wanted got chicken soup with kreplach. The main course was a huge dinner plate with stuffed cabbage, shlishkas (bought), turkey and wine egg rolls, tongue slices in sweet sauce, and a slice of apple pie. Dessert was ice cream (3 layers of bought pints), a huge hit.

Oh, there’s a ton of leftovers and you’re all invited. I think that if we trade leftovers, it will be a hit.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus