Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Will a school accept you if you admit on the application
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:42 am
Op here. I think these answers are very funny. I don't own a TV. I just watch TV online. So I can truthfully answer no TV. I also don't currently have a video monitor/DVD player. My kids watch stuff on the computer too.

So technically speaking I'm not lying at all. Hilarious. Is this how everyone justifies it? Then I guess I can too.

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
that you have a TV, or let your kids watch age-appropriate dvds?

I'm asking about right-wing schools in Brooklyn.

Or is it an automatic no if you admit to letting your kids watch dvds or that you yourself watch TV?

OP, didn't you say you have a TV?

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Or is it an automatic no if you admit to letting your kids watch dvds or that you yourself watch TV?

That's what they ask on the application. I assumed that translates to any TV watching at all. It appears I was wrong. And I find that very funny.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:35 pm
Having a TV means having a Tv, not watching shows online. You dont have a TV. You have a computer.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:45 pm
barney is green & purple be it on your computer or your tv or your microwave ~ comprende

graphixmom

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:49 pm
I dont understand why this is even a question. why apply to schools that have no TV rules if you have one? apply to a school that fits you. if I send my kid to a school that has a no TV rule, I would be really upset at you if you my son was in your class and you had a TV.

Sorry.

mandr

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:53 pm
RachelB wrote:
OK, this is not a joke (even though it sounds like one)
I was told by the parents in a certain Yeshiva to put your TV outside of the house (porch or storage shed) and this way you are not actually lying when you say you don't have TV IN the house.
Don't bash, I am not joking and I was told by few sets of parents.
Needless to say I got rid of the TV (we never had cable anyway) before we went for the interview, but after a week in 1st grade my son new who Spiderman was.

Well they would likely ask, "do you own a TV?"

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
Op here. I think these answers are very funny. I don't own a TV. I just watch TV online. So I can truthfully answer no TV. I also don't currently have a video monitor/DVD player. My kids watch stuff on the computer too.

So technically speaking I'm not lying at all. Hilarious. Is this how everyone justifies it? Then I guess I can too.

It's not how e/o justifies it. It is that a school has no way to monitor what people do on their computer. I have a computer but have never used it to watch DVD's that were non Jewish . The most inappropriate site I have been to is probably imamother. LOL
Most right wing schools would ask if you a computer for work or recreation , if it has a filter, and if your kids have access to it.. As long as you are truthfully answering their questions its not lying.

amother

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:17 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

That's what they ask on the application. I assumed that translates to any TV watching at all. It appears I was wrong. And I find that very funny.

I really don't think there is anything funny about this. Or that people are tricking the schools by answering no. They want to know exactly what they asked: Do you have/own a TV? They don't want a family who has a TV in their house. It seems pretty clear from the question that I'm surprised you even understood it to mean something else.

There's basically not much else you are doing with a TV other than watching. Yes, obviously not everything on TV is bad. There's a bunch of good kid stuff and news, etc... But they still don't want you to have one because it gives the impression that shows are being watched often there. And I guess most people are doubtful that a TV is being used only for pbs.

A computer on the other hand is completely different.
I don't know if your school asked about internet. IF they didn't then they don't care what you do with your computer, but if they did ask there's not really a way to ask about each activity you do online. Should they have a list of questions - do you watch tv shows online? Do you watch youtube videos? Do you read blogs that are anti Torah? Do you look an inappropriate images, Do you use facebook? Etc... Once you use the internet, tv shows are not necessarily the worst thing out there. And it doesn't give that impression that your family is watching very much, as it does if there would be a TV.

And internet has so many more usages than a TV. It's not an unreasonable assumption to think that someone with interent at home is using it only for totally clean things (banking, news, business, email, etc..) There is so much good from it.

Barbara

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I really don't think there is anything funny about this. Or that people are tricking the schools by answering no. They want to know exactly what they asked: Do you have/own a TV? They don't want a family who has a TV in their house. It seems pretty clear from the question that I'm surprised you even understood it to mean something else.

There's basically not much else you are doing with a TV other than watching. Yes, obviously not everything on TV is bad. There's a bunch of good kid stuff and news, etc... But they still don't want you to have one because it gives the impression that shows are being watched often there. And I guess most people are doubtful that a TV is being used only for pbs.

I don't know if your school asked about internet. IF they didn't then they don't care what you do with your computer, but if they did ask there's not really a way to ask about each activity you do online. Should they have a list of questions - do you watch tv shows online? Do you watch youtube videos? Do you read blogs that are anti Torah? Do you look an inappropriate images, Do you use facebook? Etc... Once you use the internet, tv shows are not necessarily the worst thing out there. And it doesn't give that impression that your family is watching very much, as it does if there would be a TV.

And internet has so many more usages than a TV. It's not an unreasonable assumption to think that someone with interent at home is using it only for totally clean things (banking, news, business, email, etc..) There is so much good from it.

Are you suggesting that what they object to is the specific electronic configuration of a television? That they have no problem at all if you watch exactly the same programming on your computer?

DrMom

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 11:33 pm
"Do you have a TV in your home?"
Put it on your porch

"Do you own a TV?"
Sell it to a non-Jew and rent it from him.

"Do you watch TV?"
Watch TV shows via internet.

"Do you watch TV shows?"
Set up a mirror to reflect the TV/computer screen. (We don't watch TV shows, we watch the *reflection* of TV shows.)

The possibilities are endless!

amother

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 11:55 am
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Are you suggesting that what they object to is the specific electronic configuration of a television? That they have no problem at all if you watch exactly the same programming on your computer?

Pretty much.

Not that they have no problem if you watch the same shows online, just that that is already something beyond what they could control or probe. Becuase if they allow internet in general, they can't say "You can use internet, just don't watch tv shows on it".
That's both pointless and not gonna work at all.

Barbara

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 11:59 am
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

Pretty much.

Not that they have no problem if you watch the same shows online, just that that is already something beyond what they could control or probe. Becuase if they allow internet in general, they can't say "You can use internet, just don't watch tv shows on it".
That's both pointless and not gonna work at all.

So what is the point? If they don't care that you watch TV though the internet -- and you can get anything from Mister Rogers to James Deen on the internet if you want -- what is the problem with having an actual TV? You're not seeing anything different.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children