Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Passaic or Teaneck?

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 7:38 am
Looking to buy a house and can't decide between Passaic and Teaneck.

Kids are in Cheder of Passaic and I would want to keep them there.

Are there any areas of Teaneck which are more similar to Passaic? I'm not looking for Brooklyn style - just a little more yeshivish and a little less MO.

If it weren't so difficult to find a nice looking affordable house I would buy in Passaic.

harriet

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
Looking to buy a house and can't decide between Passaic and Teaneck.

Kids are in Cheder of Passaic and I would want to keep them there.

Are there any areas of Teaneck which are more similar to Passaic? I'm not looking for Brooklyn style - just a little more yeshivish and a little less MO.

If it weren't so difficult to find a nice looking affordable house I would buy in Passaic.

Is it easier to buy a nice looking affordable house in Teaneck? I thought that was totally not the case!

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:54 am
it depends what you mean by affordable. I have not seen a nice-looking house on a nice looking block for less than 450K in Passaic and the really nice blocks are >1M

Mom23gs

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 9:05 am
There are no yeshivaish areas in Teaneck. There may be a few families that are "black hat". But they live among. everyone else, not in a cluster. Nice houses are not inexpensive. You might find more of what you are looking for in Bergenfield, but even Bergenfield is not yeshivaish, more like right wing YU.

amother

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 9:39 am
I use yeshivish loosely - I don't care as long as it is a growth-oriented community that values substance over style. (ironic from someone looking for a house that is not ugly and run-down? perhaps)

Mom23gs

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 9:48 am
Check out Bergenfield. Are you concerned that no other kids from the Teaneck / Bergenfield area go to school in Passaic?

amother

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 9:59 am
I didn't think about that - it is something to consider.

amother

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 9:25 am
Which shul in bergenfield would you recommend?

Mom23gs

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:27 am
Depends on what you are looking for in a shul. The largest shul is Beth Abraham, and the Rav there is Rav Neuberger. They have a couple of minyanim running on Shabbos, groups for the kids etc. People often move here just for the Rav and Rebbitzin.
Ohr hatorah/Rav Sobolovsky is similar hashkafically, but smaller. I don't believe there is a large space for women, and no groups for kids. BMOB is a younger shul, it attracts a varied crowd because ppl like the fact that it isn't shleppy...Minyan runs 9-11 on shabbos.
Shiurim are held at all three, and are open to everyone. The shuls in the entire area all list each others special events and speakers.

amother

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 1:50 pm
Thanks for the thorough reply!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating