Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Grocery Shopping Once or Twice a Week

lk1234

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:10 pm
If you manage to shop for food only once or twice a week, then how does your produce stay good. I would like to start limiting my shopping expiditions, (I go once a day, or every other day) but if I try for oncea week then I find that my produce gets bad.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:15 pm
I shop about once a week due to the fact that I don't drive. I leave my fruits and veggies in the bottom bins of my fridge. Once I open a bag of lettuce, I seal it in a ziplock bag if I don't use it right away. I keep leftover produce in reusable plastic containers... those are my good friends. I freeze any meat or fish and defrost it as needed. Once in a while dh will have to pick up something for me, but its usually not produce. Also, I buy some fruits that are ripe and ready to eat and some that aren't quite there yet, so I always have what I need ripe when I need it.

Fabulous

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:18 pm
If you go shopping Monday and Thursday or Sunday and Wednesday, there is no reason why your produce can't stay fresh for 4 days. A week, some types of produce start going.

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:28 pm
The only reason I don't go shopping once a week is because I'm not good with planning the weekly menu. Like fabulous said, it all lasts anyway.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:37 pm
I shop usually every 1.5 weeks.

We use the real perishables first, and then move on to hardier fruits and veggies.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:44 pm
I shop every Sunday, so we don't always have fresh salad for Shabbos (lettuce stays fine if romaine hearts, but cucumbers are iffy. Peppers which I don't like would stay fresh, tomatoes would as well.)

I used to shop Wednesday and that definitely had fresh salad options for Shabbos.

During the week, we don't have salad every night for supper. Sometimes I have stir fries or cooked veggies instead. Also an unopened bag of coleslaw will stay fine from Sunday to Thursday and will be used Thursday, etc.

It works just fine. If I went twice a week, I'd definitely have no issue.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:51 pm
Produce lasts longer if you store it the right way.
Put a paper towel at the bottom of your produce drawers to absorb extra moisture.
Store fruits and veggies in separate bins. I think some fridges have a humidity setting on the drawers - one is good for fruits and one for veggies.
Don't wash produce before refrigerating - or if you do, dry it very well.
Cucumbers get mushy if kept in the bag. I keep celery in the bag it came in.
Pick out nice, firm, fresh produce, so that it doesn't go bad right away.
Maybe you can search online for other tips.

Last edited by Simple1 on Wed, May 08 2013, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

lk1234

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:55 pm
I like to have a fresh garden salad every day- like romaine lettuce or spinach, something like that at lunch. Is it possible for that to stay fresh for 3-4 days?

rachelbg

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 9:03 pm
I shop once a week, and only buy the veggies and fruits that I know I will for sure be using. I don't have extras that sit around. Also, I try to buy ones that look closer to 'under done' than 'over done' so that if they spend a few days in the fridge they won't go bad as quickly.

Bad veggies and fruits make me sick Tongue Out

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 9:05 pm
A crisp unopened bag of lettuce will last a full week. Once opened, it's another story.
For fresh kirbys/cucumbers, buy Persian kirbys for the beginning of the week and plastic wrapped hothouse English cucumbers for the end of the week.

oliveoil

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 9:57 pm
I transfer romaine hearts to ziploc bags when I buy them, close out all the air and keep them in the crisper draw. When you're buying, make sure you don't buy produce that is too soft, then it definitely won't last. You want to buy things that are firm. I can't imagine going shopping every day or every two days. How do you have the time?!?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 10:08 pm
Also place a paper towel in the bag with the lettuce. It's actually better to leave it a drop open so moisture can let out and it won't wilt.

Happy18

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 10:10 pm
Fabulous wrote:
If you go shopping Monday and Thursday or Sunday and Wednesday, there is no reason why your produce can't stay fresh for 4 days. A week, some types of produce start going.

We do this. I find that if produce doesn't last it wasn't fresh enough to begin with. Try shopping at stores with high turnover.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 10:52 pm
I shop once a week like Wednesday or Thursday. I don't have problems with the produce. I put bounty on the bottom of the fruits and veggie drawers so it stays fresher. I also buy good quality stuff only. All produce doesn't have to last a whole week. When we use it up we wait until the shopping day. The only thing that goes fast is cucumbers but I get Persians usually and they last longer.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 4:04 am
whole lettuce stays fresh for at least a week. bags only a couple of days. You can also buy frozen veggies. twice a week is plenty, most stuff will be fine for 3 or 4 days. Mushrooms need eating quickly. If you buy produce on sale it needs eating or cooking more quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics