Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Send a needy family leftovers?

amother

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:46 pm
There's a family in my community for whom someone is arranging meals for next week due to an acute illness in the family. I would like to help out, but I'm very overwhelmed with shavuos preparations and other deadlines at work. I was wondering if it would be ok to send them leftovers from my shavuos cooking the next day. I would make sure everything was fresh and looked like a new meal because obviously I wouldn't want them to feel like they are getting my leftovers. Do you think this is ok or should I just let others pitch in?

STovah

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:48 pm
I don't get why it wouldn't be okay.

gumby

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:52 pm
Actually it's extras from your yuntif cooking. I'm sure it would be highly appreciated

anonymom

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 11:18 pm
If they will be counting on it for a meal, you must make sure you have enough, so you will be cooking enough anyway, why not give it to them fresh?

amother

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 11:20 pm
They already have shavuos meals they need for before and after.

watergirl

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 8:14 am
I don't know... When I was receiving meals after having a baby (which I didn't ask for), a few people gave me obvious leftovers which I am sure they thought looked like it wasn't. A few pieces of chicken that had the re-heated 2 times already look and taste, a half kugel, soggy vegetables. If your going to give her food, please make sure they don't feel nebbach. Shes already come out and asked for help. If you take it on, do it with kavod.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 8:17 am
leftovers are never appetizing ... if you can't offer a nice meal rather say 'no'

Raisin

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 8:19 am
I wouldn't want food that has been sitting around for 3 days and reheated several times. But while cooking, make extra and freeze. Something that freezes well obviously.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:46 pm
Raisin wrote:
I wouldn't want food that has been sitting around for 3 days and reheated several times. But while cooking, make extra and freeze. Something that freezes well obviously.

This.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 5:12 pm
I would imagine that a lot of meals being sent out are either frozen or leftovers. It isn't like you're sending cholent on Wednesday, though. You're sending good food !

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 5:44 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Raisin wrote:

This.
Couldn't agree more. Freeze it fresh. That's not leftovers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics