Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Shutdown or standby?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:38 am
Whats the better way to leave a computer for the night- standby or shutdown (or none)?
what abt over shabbos? Is there a way to put computer on standby that doesnt de-activate by pressing any key/moving mouse?(ie, pressing certain keys instead, etc)
I usually put my comp on standby, but it turns back on with the slightest touch, and sometimes even without! (I'll be in a totally dif room, and hear the comp buzz back to life...)
how do I prevent that?
tia Smile

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:59 pm
A computer needs to rest up too. You should close it every night. Also, you should close it when you’re done for the day. It pulls a lot of electricity. As soon as you start doing it, you will see a difference in your electricity bill!

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 1:08 pm
As withhumour said you should turn the computer off every night also you should also switch your screen and speakers off as well. Electrical Appliances that are left on standby use as much electricity as if they were on.

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 1:17 pm
I have all my plugs in one big power strip. After I shut down, I close the powerstrip’s switch and it’s nice and quite.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 1:18 pm
Does anybody have an "in" with the electric company

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:11 pm
You mean a contact, for discounts? Smile

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:12 pm
yup - Thumbs Up you got it!

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:14 pm
Nopes, I only have myself to conserve. I plotz when I’m the only one shutting off the lights round the clock….

You can always pull a cable from the street like they do in the Bronx, y’know… Twisted Evil

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:17 pm
LOL - that's what I'm talkin' about - the kids leaving stuff on sometimes all night cause I go to sleep before them and wake up with the electric company happy ... I have seriously thought about rigging something up from my main box - what would they know - Sunny maybe they'll do their stuff with the sun - eh?

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:19 pm
Maybe you should trade your cow for a windmill…

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:21 pm
Maybe I could just get the cow to run a treadmill and hook it up to a generator - then we could have our milk and the electric too - withhumor you are just too funny!

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:29 pm
I’d rather a ski machine; it can be used manually and won’t require as much electricity as the treadmill!

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:30 pm
You mean a treadmill needs electricity - oy

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:18 pm
lol

What is standby generally used for if you should be shutting down the computer?

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:22 pm
I think it’s for people that are in and out of the office and want to conserve energy. It’s a good idea.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:24 pm
NY2434 wrote:
lol

What is standby generally used for if you should be shutting down the computer?

I think if someone is going to use it shortly without all that waiting to log in time

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:25 pm
just called my dad the electrician. he's not sure how many watts a computer uses, but keeping it on overnight should add only pennies a night-which is not a major amount over a month. also, in standby it does use less electricity-maybe not a lot less, but definitely less.

roza

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:05 pm
We use standby all week (saves time) and shut down for Shabbos.

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:49 am
It actually depends on how many fans you have. If your computer makes any noise, let alone a lot of noise, it has at least 2 fans, just like an air conditioner.

rachel

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:48 am
Does a laptop use less energy than a desktop?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics