Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Plain Frum or In Between
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 4:45 pm
What if there is no modern-yeshivish ideal choice,

you have to place your child in a school where 50% of the mothers don't cover their hair at all, and 25% wear pants

or a school where 50% of the mothers only wear pantyhose year round and black & navy for tznius reasons and 25% think you are a [gentile] if you don't sew your slits closed-

you must pick one side, but both are not you, which way do you go?

Ozmom

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 4:51 pm
Quote:
I say modern b/c I grew up and we went to baseball games, played frizbee on sunday and went to the museum of natural history and looked at the dinosaurs

I've played frizbee before though not on a regular basis been to plenty of museums and looked at dinosaurs.
does that mean I'm modern too? Confused

batya_d

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 6:29 pm
Modern Orthodox machmir.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:

you have to place your child in a school where 50% of the mothers don't cover their hair at all, and 25% wear pants

or a school where 50% of the mothers only wear pantyhose year round and black & navy for tznius reasons and 25% think you are a [gentile] if you don't sew your slits closed-

I really understand the problem (not about schools, but yeah).....

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 1:44 am
"you have to place your child in a school where 50% of the mothers don't cover their hair at all, and 25% wear pants"

Then I choose this school. It's more important that he learns that even people who do these things can be good Jews, than it is for him to learn that his mom isn't tzanua. (For the record, I do cover my hair, and I don't wear pants, but I definitely don't sew closed all my slits nor do I restrict my wardrobe to blue and black.)

batya_d

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 1:51 am
amother wrote:

In this case I choose the more Yeshivish, as I want my kids' main influences to be frum/halachic. The situation here in Manhattan is much as you describe, and I wouldn't trust my kids to go to the home of some of the Modern Day School homes, where the families eat out at non-kosher restaurants ("eat vegetarian out").

mumoo

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:34 am
isn't it great to have choices!!

I sew skirt slits-even for my 3 yo, and my boys go to MLB ball games. What are we? Confused

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 8:40 am
Ozmom wrote:
Quote:
I say modern b/c I grew up and we went to baseball games, played frizbee on sunday and went to the museum of natural history and looked at the dinosaurs

I've played frizbee before though not on a regular basis been to plenty of museums and looked at dinosaurs.

the going to see dinosaurs was what I meant by the modern thing.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 8:42 am
dinosaurs are modern?

technic

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 8:43 am
now that would depend on how old u r!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:11 am
apparently ancient

baseballmom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:54 am
That is totally us - If you ask us I would say modern and DH would say yeshivish..I guess the best description would be that we are right-wing YU type.

Piper

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:22 pm
GR wrote:
dinosaurs are modern?

So, I wonder how they schect and kashered dinosaurs before chickens and cows came along.

chavamom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:25 pm
Don't be silly - reptiles aren't kosher! LOL

Piper

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:27 pm
I know. I'm just havin fun Wink

Ozmom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 5:00 pm
LOL all o' ya

shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ozmom wrote:
Quote:

ok so what you are saying is I'm modern!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 8:32 am
Ozmom wrote:
LOL all o' ya

shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ozmom wrote:
Quote:

ok so what you are saying is I'm modern!

I have no idea what you consider yourself. I was telling you what I would consider someone modern. all I know is that my mother used to work in a yeshiva ketana wher in no way shape or form could a kid see a dinosaur in a book. I grew up differently. I grew up learning about dinosaurs and getting to see what they looked like. thats all I meant.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 1:17 pm
I would choose the pants/don't cover their hair school as well.

FWIW, a friend describe me as a Torah First Jew...and I realy like the way that sounds. Definitely not Yeshivish.

Chani

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 4:40 pm
I would send them to the more yeshivish school, given those two choices as described. That being said, I heard a shiur once by Rabbi Pesach Krohn, where he mentioned that he asked a shaila about whether to send one of his children to a particular school. The psak he got was not to do so b/c that school had a rule that the rebbe's had to have a beard (Rabbi Krohn is cleanshaven), and his children shouldn't come away from school thinking that he's a [gentile], c''v. That being said, the situation as described includes a choice between a school where the families are not all shomer mitzvos and a school where the families are all shomer mitzvos, albeit more to the right. In such a case, my gut reaction is to go with the school more to the right, b/c I'd rather deal with those issues than the issues that could arise from my children being in the other school.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 4:54 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
I would choose the pants/don't cover their hair school as well.

I have for the kid who needed it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics