Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Looking for information on Ambit

amother

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 5:16 pm
I have been hearing a lot about Ambit energy (the opportunity) lately and I wana know what is the real deal with this company? I am very familiar with the whole multi-level-marketing concept and I know of many successful people in MLM's so I don't think they are inherently bad (like many ppl do), I'm just really truly curious about Ambit. Are there people out there who really make money doing it? You can be anonymous so you can say what you really feel about it. I'm not necessarily joining although my hubby was toying with the idea of it. Something just seems weird about it. I mean you are selling discounted energy, so what if another company comes along with a better price, wouldn't people
Just switch to that company? What's the REAL DEAL on it?

DK

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 6:42 pm
As you mentioned, Ambit is marketed via multiple level marketing and is much easier for many people then standard MLM's for a few reasons (unlike other MLM's Ambit is a service not a product, no collections, no deliveries, no inventories etc), however several factors are in play that determine success. The number 1 most important facor for success is the group that you are in, some are extremely supportive and others not at all.

There is a learning curve and this is the cause of most failures, people who continue to push will over time be successful as long as they don't give up prematurely, the real money comes from the residual income which typically takes some time to build up.

To my knowledge Ambit is the only company that offers a garanteed cheaper rate then the incumbent. Since Ambit only asks their consultants to get a few customers those customers are usually loyal (mom knows she's helping me so she would never switch), they boast a 95% customer retention rate.

Full disclosure, I am a consultant and while I do have a bias I believe for the right person this can be a very lucrative business, you should talk to the person who introduced you to the business but feel free to ask me any questions you might have, there are many question you will have and no question is a stupid one.

I can be reached at 666avi@gmail.com or 314-306-7634.

Whatever you decide I wish you lots of luck,

Avi Kaufman

amother

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 6:45 pm
DK wrote:
As you mentioned, Ambit is marketed via multiple level marketing and is much easier for many people then standard MLM's for a few reasons (unlike other MLM's Ambit is a service not a product, no collections, no deliveries, no inventories etc), however several factors are in play that determine success. The number 1 most important facor for success is the group that you are in, some are extremely supportive and others not at all.

There is a learning curve and this is the cause of most failures, people who continue to push will over time be successful as long as they don't give up prematurely, the real money comes from the residual income which typically takes some time to build up.

To my knowledge Ambit is the only company that offers a garanteed cheaper rate then the incumbent. Since Ambit only asks their consultants to get a few customers those customers are usually loyal (mom knows she's helping me so she would never switch), they boast a 95% customer retention rate.

Full disclosure, I am a consultant and while I do have a bias I believe for the right person this can be a very lucrative business, you should talk to the person who introduced you to the business but feel free to ask me any questions you might have, there are many question you will have and no question is a stupid one.

Avi Kaufman

Avi short for.... Avielle?

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 6:49 pm
on the one hand, it makes the 100 top mlms list. on the other hand, BBB claims that there is no legitimate business license filed for this company. I don't understand how both could be true.

The reviews here are interesting. http://www.consumeraffairs.com......html

It's over $400 to join--- if you can make back that $400 within a month without heavy recruiting (JUST by selling the product), then I see no reason not to try it----- but there are mlms and especially ds companies that have a much lower buy in with a product that's much easier to sell.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 6:52 pm
never mind, I DO see a reason not to try it. I actually read more than a few of the reviews just now. buyer beware.

saw50st8

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 7:39 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
never mind, I DO see a reason not to try it. I actually read more than a few of the reviews just now. buyer beware.

I have a few friends who are in Ambit. They are not looking to make tons of money - they get their deposit back and get their own commodities free.

You just have to understand how energy service companies and mlm work.

amother

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 10:40 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
TwinsMommy wrote:

I have a few friends who are in Ambit. They are not looking to make tons of money - they get their deposit back and get their own commodities free.

You just have to understand how energy service companies and mlm work.

OP here - TwinsMommy, that link was pretty interesting/eye-opening. I am actually really asking about Ambit with an open mind because I am truly curious about the company but I have to say that some of the reviews about the terrible customer service and their electricity bills sky rocketing are things that I have heard through rumors about the company.
Saw50st8- I definitely understand how MLM's work, I guess I don't know that much about energy service companies but I've just been hearing very iffy stuff about Ambit, but at the same time it seems like a lot of people I know or know of are distributors so I really wonder, is there substance to it or are they just very good at suckering people in?

amother

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 10:48 pm
DK wrote:

Avi Kaufman

OP here- um Avi??!!! You do know this is imamother, even if you are a woman who does go by Avi in real life, you should sign your name as something that sounds a little more female sounding, just a suggestion, please don't take offense to that. Anyways, the info you posted is true of every MLM company. The real money comes from the residuals which takes time to build, I know all this to be true. None of that explains anything specifically about Ambit which is what I was asking. Also if Ambit is only asking their consultants to get a few customers, well that's nice for the company, they are certainly making money. But how are people supposed to make money in the company if they are only told to get a few customers, mostly family members etc. I dunno, something about that doesn't sit well with me. I am open to hearing differently, but just doesn't sound 100% to me.

groisamomma

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
DK wrote:

Avi Kaufman

OP here- um Avi??!!! You do know this is imamother, even if you are a woman who does go by Avi in real life, you should sign your name as something that sounds a little more female sounding, just a suggestion, please don't take offense to that. Anyways, the info you posted is true of every MLM company. The real money comes from the residuals which takes time to build, I know all this to be true. None of that explains anything specifically about Ambit which is what I was asking. Also if Ambit is only asking their consultants to get a few customers, well that's nice for the company, they are certainly making money. But how are people supposed to make money in the company if they are only told to get a few customers, mostly family members etc. I dunno, something about that doesn't sit well with me. I am open to hearing differently, but just doesn't sound 100% to me.

I'm guessing Avi is DK's husband and she is cutting and pasting an email he wrote previously.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 12:12 am
groisamomma wrote:
amother wrote:
DK wrote:

Avi Kaufman

I'm guessing Avi is DK's husband and she is cutting and pasting an email he wrote previously.
Or, avi is short for avigayil, aviella....surprise!

I went to an ambit recruit meeting, didnt interest me because it involves a LOT of phoning people you have to know people and it can get quite pushy because you dont have anything real to show.
You have to pay per month and you dont necessarily make it all back right away.
And I am not sure about other people but I get a thousand phonecalls from dif. Companies telling me they are the cheapest. Right now we found another company which actually showed us they are cheaper and we signed a two year contract. As soon as we did that 3 more companies called to ask if we want to change because they are the cheapest!

amother

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 3:18 am
amother wrote:
I have been hearing a lot about Ambit energy (the opportunity) lately and I wana know what is the real deal with this company? I am very familiar with the whole multi-level-marketing concept and I know of many successful people in MLM's so I don't think they are inherently bad (like many ppl do), I'm just really truly curious about Ambit. Are there people out there who really make money doing it? You can be anonymous so you can say what you really feel about it. I'm not necessarily joining although my hubby was toying with the idea of it. Something just seems weird about it. I mean you are selling discounted energy, so what if another company comes along with a better price, wouldn't people
Just switch to that company? What's the REAL DEAL on it?

I can tell you the real deal about Ambit - and I won't try to sign you up under my DH (who is a consultant).

You say in your posts that you are very familiar with MLMs. If so, you are probably familiar with the biggest drawback - the only way to make any money with Ambit is by signing up other consultants. (You get bonuses for signing up a certain number of customers in the first weeks, but not enough to make your $450 back.) The consultants you sign will lose money unless they sign up consultants. Somewhere down the line, somebody takes a loss because they couldn't or wouldn't sign up consultants. The people above that person make money off of their loss. That doesn't bother some people, but in my opinion, it should bother you. (If for no other reason than the fact that people will end up upset at you even if was their fault.)

I will point out that at some periods of the year Ambit offers "double bonuses" for signing up customers and during those periods it is theoretically possible to make your money back just by signing up customers. You may also be able to find groups that will pay you some of their bonuses for signing you up and in that way you can break even much faster and easier. (My DH signed up in that way so we weren't in any real danger of losing any money if we didn't get any consultants to sign up under us.)

I will also point out that some people get involved in Ambit for their free energy promotion. If you refer 15 customers of gas or electric, you get the average of their bills as a credit on yours - essentially getting free supply of energy. (Of course, not the delivery charge, just the supply charge, which is the only part Ambit has anything to do with.) Technically, you can do this as a customer for free - you don't have to pay $450 to be a consultant. However, I would advise anybody trying for the free energy to sign up as a consultant also.

A couple of other points about Ambit:

* In New York they offer a guarantee that they will be cheaper than Con Ed/National Grid - but only by 1%. That isn't a savings that will make anybody jump. Most people would not switch to an unknown for such a small benefit. They are relying on your signing up people as a favor to you. (Which you are telling them won't cost them anything.)

* In New Jersey, they have no guarantee, but I've heard it is actually easier to sign people up, because their fixed rates there are a significant savings over the local suppliers.

* The residuals they envision you getting doesn't come from you signing up many customers (you could personally sign up hundreds and not earn any meaningful residual), but rather having many layers of consultants underneath you each one signing up 5-10 customers.

* They do have a very good system and a lot of free training to take advantage of. As far as MLMs go, they are a good one. They aren't going to fold up anytime soon and have a stable business model. They truly allow anyone to grow in the system and (at least in DH's group) there is a lot of support to help you along.

My final opinion: The "Ambit Opportunity" is a raw deal because it loses money unless you can pass the raw deal on to someone else who can only escape the rawness of her deal if she passes it along to someone else...
Unless, you are after the free energy, or if you have one those offers that people will refund your signup costs, I would stay away from it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics