Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
*Time Sensitive* Miami Day School and community

amother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 12:41 pm
Without going into too many details, my husband has an opportunity that has come up in Miami. We have been married close to 20 years and B"H have an established family. While I know the opportunity is incredible, we both agree that we will only relocate our family if we are sure that our kids will be a good fit for the schools that are there.

I don't know ANYTHING about the communities, schools or where to go for information. If there is someone who is able to break down the ins and outs of the elementary and high schools there for girls and boys it would be most appreciated. My goal is to take a trip out there before the schools close for the summer to see the classes in action so I can see things with my own eyes. Also if you would be so kind as to tell me where most of the people from a particular school live that would help us narrow down our housing search. I would do my best to try to live near my kids classmates.

Whatever information I can get here will definitely make my upcoming trip much more efficient. I appreciate any and all help you can send my way!

amother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 12:47 pm
Do a search, we've discussed this before. School here end mid June (13th for one school).

Are you looking for a day school or a yeshiva type school?

cbg

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 7:38 pm
It all depends on what you are looking for, but I can give you a list of all the schools in Dade County (Miami Beach, North Miami Beach area). There are also schools in Hollywood, Coral Springs, Boca Raton, but I'm not too familiar with those areas.

Hillel. Pre school - 12 mixed classes conservative many of the students have issues that only the father is jewish and not the mother. Kashrut and Shabbat issues as well

Hebrew Academy pre school -12 modern orthodox mixed elementary, in high school boys and girls are separate for limude Kodesh, but mixed classes for English. Slightly stronger than Hillel, but may have some similar issues.

I'm sorry I can't finish the list at this moment I ll try to finish later on.

cbg

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 8:51 pm
Toras Emes pre school -5. Orthodox girls and boys completely seperate highly academic. Boys continue on to their junior and senior high school Toras Chain. Girls go to Beis Yaacov or Shaare Bina

Yeshiva Elementary School. Very similar to Toras Emes, but perhaps more Yeshivish crowd.

Lubavitch Educational Center. The pre school is the only one with head start (free pre school if you QUALIFY) based on Lubavitch Teachings. Pre school -12 girls and boys seperate.

Beis Yaacov. 6-12 grade. Typical Beis
Yaacov. High academic standards

Shaare Bina. Not too familiar, but from what I heard similar to Beis Yaacov, but has smaller classes.

If possible visit the schools, especially sit in some of the classes

Areas to live in Miami Beach 41st street area, Bal, Bay, Harbour Surfside area, North Miami Beach area

I hope this information was helpful

amother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 9:01 pm
I'll just add that schools tend to be comprised primarily of more local students. Hillel and Toras Emes are in NMB and mostly serve that community as well as Aventura. Hebrew Academy and Yeshiva Elementary are in MB and mostly serve that community as well as Surfside/Bal Harbour. But there are a number of families who send to schools outside of their own community.

Where is the job located? That may pull you more toward one community over another. What are you looking for in a community? How much can you afford to spend on housing?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating