Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Supper ideas to send an ill friend. no fresh fruit/ veggies

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 12:11 am
I dont like cooking. Im one of those strange people who always serve leftovers but never the original meal.

I was asked to make supper for a friend who is ill. I need to give food for 3 adults. No allergies but because of chemo they cant have and fresh fruit or veggies.

Please give me ideas of simple, easy to prepare, yummy and filling suppers with recipes. It doesn't have to be fancy, I dont need to impress anyone.

Also should I send dessert?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 12:27 am
Here's a simple supper that is fairly easy on the stomach in case your friend is feeling nauseous.

Chicken and rice:

Preheat oven to 350. Start a kettle of water boiling. Chop an onion and put in the bottom of a pan. (Depending on the size of the onion and/or pan, you may need more onions.) Clean chicken pieces (we prefer chicken bottoms, but this will work with white meat too). Place on top of onions. Season to taste with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Pour 1 cup of uncooked rice around the chicken, so that it fills all the nooks and crannies in the pan. Measure 1/4 cup ketchup in measuring cup. Add 1 3/4 cup boiling water and mix. Pour ketchup water over rice. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

If you are sending dinner for 3 people, can they all not have fresh fruit/veggies or just the friend who is sick? If it's just one person, then you may want to include a salad (dressing on the side) or cooked veggie for the others. You can also include soup and/or dessert, but those are optional.

Tizku L'mitzvos!

lili

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 4:46 am
you can also roast the chicken in a pan with potatoes and sweet potatoes.
and a soup.
desert is optional, maybe send a simple cake that they can keep for shabbos?

rowo

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 6:23 am
Chicken soup with lots of veg?

DrMom

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:43 am
amother wrote:
I dont like cooking. Im one of those strange people who always serve leftovers but never the original meal.

How does this work? What happens to the original meal? Don't you need an "original meal" in order to create leftovers? Question

Barbara

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 9:40 am
DrMom wrote:
amother wrote:

How does this work? What happens to the original meal? Don't you need an "original meal" in order to create leftovers? Question

It's a somewhat famous quote from Calvin Trillin:

“The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.”
― Calvin Trillin

Raisin

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 9:49 am
chicken stir dry?

baked/poached salmon with boiled baby potatoes, butter and parsley. Veggies stir fried to go with it.

cbg

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 10:53 am
I'm not understanding why no raw veggies

My husband is going through chemo and his appetite diminished a lot, all the more so I give him densely nutritious food. Sometimes he doesn't even have the energy to chew.

He tolerates green smoothies and prefers this over food

1/3 water (2cups)
1/3 greens. Spinach, kale, etc.(2cups)
1/3 frozen fruit (2 cups)
Stevia (he likes it extra sweet)
Blend until smooth

He drinks this through out the day. This way I know he had his nutrition for the day and I don't worry as much.

And he was the meat and potatoes type of guy who turned his nose up to any vegetable.

Even though I won't suggest a salad, but a nice BLENDED vegetable soup ( don't overcook the veggies)
Put lots of celery, since that restores electrolytes and veggies that are high in nutrition like brocolli
Sweet potatoes and avocado are also good ideas to put on the side of the soup. Highly nutritious and easy to chew and digest

Also, ask if she has lost her sense of taste. If this is so, she may prefer highly seasoned over bland.
Watch out for tomato based recipes, since this can cause acid reflux.

I would suggest send over soup, sweet potato, avocado, and then also send over the ingredients for green smoothie and the recipe.

Think small meals but big nutrition

Liba

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 11:55 am
Many people going through chemo are neutropenic, have a low immune system from the chemo. They aren't allowed uncooked fruits and vegetables or tap water unless it is boiled.

It is actually pretty standard.

Google "neutropenic precautions"

http://www.cancer.org/treatmen.....tions

Quote:

Food safety

Food safety is very important when your ANC is low. Infections can be picked up from food and drinks. A low microbial diet (low-germ or neutropenic diet) may be suggested if your ANC is low. This type of diet and these actions may help you reduce infection risk from foods:

Do not eat or drink any raw milk or raw milk products, or any milk or milk product that has not been pasteurized, including cheese and yogurt made from unpasteurized milk.
Do not eat Mexican-style soft cheese such as queso fresco or queso blanco.
Do not eat cheese containing chili peppers or other uncooked vegetables.
Do not eat raw or undercooked meat, fish, chicken, eggs, or tofu.
Do not eat cold smoked fish, including lox, jerky, kippered, or nova-style fish.
Do not eat miso or tempeh products.
Do not eat hot dogs, deli meats, or processed meats (unless they have been cooked or thoroughly re-heated just before eating).
Do not eat any food that contains mold (for example, brie, feta, or blue cheese, including that in salad dressings).
Do not eat any uncooked vegetables and fruits.
Do not eat uncooked grain products.
Do not eat unwashed salad greens.
Do not eat vegetable sprouts (alfalfa, bean, and others).
Do not drink fruit or vegetable juices that have not been pasteurized.
Do not eat raw honey (honey that has not been pasteurized).
Do not eat raw nuts or nuts roasted in their shells.
Do not drink beer that has not been pasteurized (this is most often home brewed and some microbrewery beers).
Do not drink “sun tea” or cold-brewed tea made with warm or cold water.
Do not drink maté tea.
Do not drink unboiled well water.
Do not eat brewer’s yeast.
Do not eat any outdated food.
Do not eat any cooked food that has been left at room temperature for 2 hours or more. If the food is left where the air temperature is 90° F or above, the limit is 1 hour.
Do not eat any food that has been handled or prepared with unwashed hands.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 4:52 pm
Good for you, for helping out people who need meals esp if you don't enjoy cooking! You're so kind.

I presume cooked veggies and fruits are ok, then.

Baked chicken with sauce is pretty easy. Get cut up roaster chicken pieces, rinse and clean/remove skins and extra fat. Pour whatever cooking sauce (BBQ, italian dressing, pasta sauce, duck sauce) and let it marinate for an hour or so. Bake 180C equiv oven for about 50min, you may want to cover after 30min or so.

Side dish: vegetable kugels (broccoli, zucchini). Also you can do easy sweet potato kugel. Grate 3 large or 4 medium raw peeled sweetpotatoes, add 4 eggs, a dash of cinnamon, 3 tbsp orange juice, 1tbsp matza meal. We don't like it too sweet but if you like it sweeter, feel free to add honey or sugar. Bake covered in 160C equiv oven for 1hr.

Ratatouill is also easy to make. Cut red peppers, onions, eggplants, zucchini in chunks (a bit larger than bite size), sautee in a non-stick pot with a fitting lid for 5-10min with a few tablespoon oil. Add 1/2 dry wine (red or white), 1 large or 2 medium tin of tomato sauce or chopped tomato, season with salt & pepper, garlic powder, italian herbs (optional) maybe a bit of parve chicken powder. Cover and let simmer for 25-40min stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn.

For dessert, you can make compote, cook apples, pears, plums, nectarins etc in sweet/kiddush wine with cinnamon stick. Another easy one is fruit jell-o, even my kids can make it. cut tinned fruits (peaches, pineapples, lychees) into pieces, and add to jell-o liquid before it sets. I like pairing apricot jell-o with peaches, orange jell-o with pineapples, and strawberry jell-o with lychees. Or store-bought brownies or sorbet should be fine.

amother

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:41 pm
Barbara wrote:
DrMom wrote:
amother wrote:

It's a somewhat famous quote from Calvin Trillin:

“The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.”
― Calvin Trillin
Thanks Barbara, I couldn't remember where I heard the quote.

DrMom, I mean that I might make salmon, macaroni and cheese, a few salads, have shabbos leftovers and people can choose whatever they want over the next few days but I dont make a fresh supper every tnight.

amother

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:47 pm
Thanks for the ideas so far but Im still looking for more suggestions! Especially for cooked fruit/ veggies

Mrs Bissli, I like your jello idea! So simple and fancy!

gold21

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 12:02 am
Beef stew?

Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, sweet potato, celery, in tomato sauce. Salt to taste.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 12:11 am
roasted veggies: Cube 1 small zucchini, 1 yellow squash, 1 carton fresh mushrooms, 1 red onion, 12 baby carrots, and 12 grape tomatoes. Toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil, 3 garlic cloves, and 2 tsp kosher salt (or 1 1/4 tsp regular salt). Arrange in one even layer on a cookie sheet sized aluminum pan. Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 425 for 40 min.

oven poached pears: Peel 4 pears, but keep stem intact. Place each pear on a piece of silver foil. Drizzle each pear with a heaping Tbsp of honey then sprinkle generously with cinnamon. Wrap each pear in the foil and arrange in a 9x13 pan. Bake in oven preheated to 350 until pears are tender, about 40 minutes.

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 12:15 am
gold21 wrote:
Beef stew?

Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, sweet potato, celery, in tomato sauce. Salt to taste.
I know this sounds dumb but I have no idea how to make beef stew in a normal pot, I've only done it in a crockpot. embarrassed

gold21

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 12:26 am
Brown onions and meat in a little oil. Add tomato sauce and water and cook on low for an hour. Then add everything else (potatoes, carrots, etc.) and cook on medium for another 45 minutes.

It's super easy.

mfb

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 9:40 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Here's a simple supper that is fairly easy on the stomach in case your friend is feeling nauseous.

Chicken and rice:

Preheat oven to 350. Start a kettle of water boiling. Chop an onion and put in the bottom of a pan. (Depending on the size of the onion and/or pan, you may need more onions.) Clean chicken pieces (we prefer chicken bottoms, but this will work with white meat too). Place on top of onions. Season to taste with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Pour 1 cup of uncooked rice around the chicken, so that it fills all the nooks and crannies in the pan. Measure 1/4 cup ketchup in measuring cup. Add 1 3/4 cup boiling water and mix. Pour ketchup water over rice. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

If you are sending dinner for 3 people, can they all not have fresh fruit/veggies or just the friend who is sick? If it's just one person, then you may want to include a salad (dressing on the side) or cooked veggie for the others. You can also include soup and/or dessert, but those are optional.

Tizku L'mitzvos!

I do something similar to this and I add in carrots to the pan for a veggie
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen