Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Brooklyn public library

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 7:32 pm
We have books that we borrowed about 1 years ago that were never returned.
Does anyone know if I can still return them and pay a fine, or if I have to pay for the full value of the books, in which case we would pay but keep the books, though I prefer returning and paying a lesser fine.

gp2.0

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 7:37 pm
At this point it would probably cost less to pay for the books and keep them. Ask a librarian about specific costs.

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 7:46 pm
I was under the impression that there is a maximum penalty of about $5 a book? Does anyone know if this is accurate?

oliveoil

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 7:56 pm
Every once in a while they have an amnesty week, where you can return old books and they forgive old fines, no questions asked.

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 7:58 pm
Current fine threshold is $15, as per their website.
I guess that means I need to decide on each book if I should pay the $15 and return or pay in full and keep.
Ugh, this will cost me.

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:01 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Every once in a while they have an amnesty week, where you can return old books and they forgive old fines, no questions asked.
oh my, that sounds wonderful.
How do I find out when they have this?

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:02 pm
I lost some books years ago and I've been renewing them ever since. Someday they'll put a cap on how many times you can renew, and that's when I'll finally pay up... Twisted Evil

Waffles

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:25 pm
I believe you can renew up to 100 times

centurion

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:58 pm
I had that. there was a maximum fine, but it's reduced when you return the book.

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 9:01 pm
centurion wrote:
I had that. there was a maximum fine, but it's reduced when you return the book.
do you know if the penalty is more than half? I'd love to know what ballpark figure I'm up against when I return

oliveoil

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 5:42 am
Keep in mind, if you want to keep the books and pay for new ones - they charge much more than it would cost you to buy the new ones yourself.

happy

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 6:55 am

centurion

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 11:09 am
I don't remember how much per book. all I remember was that I had several books (probably 10 or more) still out and when I returned them, my fine was reduced by about 80 dollars

Barbara

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 11:44 am
centurion wrote:
I don't remember how much per book. all I remember was that I had several books (probably 10 or more) still out and when I returned them, my fine was reduced by about 80 dollars

It is also possible to negotiate a reduction, as the librarian has some discretion. Hope this helps.

oliveoil

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 12:19 pm
Actually, the librarians don't have much discretion, because once the fine goes above a certain amount (I think it's $25) they send it to a collection agency.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics