Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher meals on wheels for seniors?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 6:57 pm
My mil lives in Brooklyn, NY. She sleeps most of the day and can no longer cook for herself.

Who do I contact to have kosher meals sent to her door?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 8:19 pm
Call rodeph chesed in BP
I'll try and get ph number

amother

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 8:31 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Call rodeph chesed in BP

Please. It is urgent. She is forgetting how to turn off the flame and refuses a home health aide.

debsters1101

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 10:05 pm
Contact met council

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 10:16 pm
Www.jasa.org

a1mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 11:50 pm
JASA has a contract with a kosher caterer, it sometimes takes time to get it set up but I think some of the bikur cholim organizatins will fill in for the short term, all meals on wheels are through the dept of aging with a a sliding scale fee structure. contact an organization like Zicharon or the social work dept in a homecare agency for advice. Hatzlacha.

thanks

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:
Call rodeph chesed in BP

Please. It is urgent. She is forgetting how to turn off the flame and refuses a home health aide.

Getting her food is just a small piece of the picture. Seems like the beginning of dementia. You need to be prepared for what is ahead and have a good arrangement in place to make sure she is safe. If it means getting a home health aid, you need to put that in place ASAP. Either figure out a way to convince her, or don't give her a choice.

Has she seen a neurologist? There are medications that slow down the aging/dementia process.

Also, now is a good time to make sure her finance are in order - like putting assets in a trust, and that she has a will and medical proxy. (This really should have been done already, so please get to it right away!)

Hatzlocho!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 8:31 pm
thanks wrote:

Getting her food is just a small piece of the picture. Seems like the beginning of dementia. You need to be prepared for what is ahead and have a good arrangement in place to make sure she is safe. If it means getting a home health aid, you need to put that in place ASAP. Either figure out a way to convince her, or don't give her a choice.

Has she seen a neurologist? There are medications that slow down the aging/dementia process.

Also, now is a good time to make sure her finance are in order - like putting assets in a trust, and that she has a will and medical proxy. (This really should have been done already, so please get to it right away!)

Hatzlocho!

Thanks. Her finances are in order, B"H, but not really.

We all agree that she needs an aide, but she is refusing an aide. And no one will stand up to her, because she is stubborn to a fault.

thanks

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 9:44 pm
Take her to the doctor, and have the doctor talk her into it. You need to do whatever it takes. Dementia progresses. If you need names of neurologists, I have a great dr. in Manhattan. I don't know where you are located. From the things you posted, you cannot wait any longer.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 2:41 pm
She has seen a doctor, and her doctor told her to get an aide. She said "yes" and then after she left the doctor's office, she said "of course not".

She has always been paranoid of strangers. In order for her to get meals on wheels, she needs to meet with a social worker. I spoke to the social worker who said that the food can be delivered to her neighbor and her neighbor can deliver it to her (she trusts her neighbor).

But she is refusing to meet with the social worker, so there is nothing that can be done. The social worker cannot legally break into her home.

The same social worker would provide her with an aide, if needed. Still, she is refusing to meet with a social worker.

I now make extra food for supper and send over some when my dh visits his mother. My dh brought her a frozen pizza. I was thinking of buying prepared meals from mealmart at Costco, but I am worried it will spoil by the time it gets to her.

My mil is very stubborn. She told my dh not to marry me, saying I don't know how to cook, and now she is eating my food. But this is only a temporary solution, until she falls again (she broke her nose a few months ago).

amother

Post Sun, Jun 16 2013, 5:38 pm
Update: My bil decided he will take turns bringing food to my mil, which means I have to cook for her two nights a week.

She told my dh not to marry me because I don't know how to cook, and now she is stuck eating my food.

LOL

a1mom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2013, 6:03 pm
would she agree to meet the social worker together with a family member- I work with dementia pt's and that tactic sometimes work, broach the subject non confrontationally- Ie, Mom, dh would love to bring over someone to meet you who can help explain what medicare benefits you are eligible for- It is just for information, when would be a good time for him to bring her over?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 16 2013, 6:20 pm
a1mom wrote:
would she agree to meet the social worker together with a family member- I work with dementia pt's and that tactic sometimes work, broach the subject non confrontationally- Ie, Mom, dh would love to bring over someone to meet you who can help explain what medicare benefits you are eligible for- It is just for information, when would be a good time for him to bring her over?

Thanks. I will try it and let you know what happens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen