Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you like your mother?

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 11:58 pm
I was just reading an article about personality traits we so often inherit from our mothers and I began to wonder in what ways I'm like my mother and in what ways I'm totally different.

I'll share my thoughts soon but I'm curious how similar we really are to our mothers in terms of personality.

ROFL

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 12:07 am
Oh I hope I am nothing like her.

wife2

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 12:10 am
in some ways, yes. in other ways, no.
all of my siblings have different personalities and are not all like her in personality - however, there are things you pick up, like how to deal/cope with things or a way of acting/speaking that can carry over regardless of personality.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 12:11 am
Oh my gosh, I am a carbon copy of her! My mom and I fought like cats and dogs, because the things we didn't like in each other were things that we didn't want to confront in ourselves.

Fortunately we were able to finally find the good in each other and hold on to that. The last few years of her life we were able to become really good friends. I just wish we'd had more time.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 6:08 am
I think that if your mother spent eighteen or more years with you, it is impossible not to take on many of her traits.
Also, most of our parents had a much more difficult life than we do. Perhaps given the same set of circumstances, we wish we could be as strong or normal as them.

Unless our mothers were abusive, I think we should judge them favorably. Remember, our children will be answering this question one day.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 6:26 am
I have certain things very much in common, and am in other ways, radically different. Same with me and my grown DD.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:38 am
People used to say that we were very much alike, but we really weren't. There were some similarities. As a whole it looked like we did, but when it came down to the nitty gritty, we weren't. We got along wonderfully, but all my siblings got along great with her.

esther09

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:21 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I was just reading an article about personality traits we so often inherit from our mothers and I began to wonder in what ways I'm like my mother and in what ways I'm totally different.

I'll share my thoughts soon but I'm curious how similar we really are to our mothers in terms of personality.

Can you post the article? I'd love to read it!

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:25 am
Yup. And DD is even more like her. I used to hate it but now that shes gone, its nice. (unless DD starts to nag. then its just as annoying!)

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:37 am
My mother and I are VERY different. I'm a lot like my father, actually.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:51 am
I aspire to be just like my mother A"H. She was a wonderful woman and tzedeikes in each and every single way. When someone will tell me that I'm just like my mother, it will be a joyous day!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 11:16 am
In some ways,a lot. In some ways, opposite.

Now, halevai I had 10% of her emuna and "no stress" and simchas chaim and idealism.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 11:33 am
No, my personality is much more like my father's. I'm nowhere near as outspoken and opinionated as my mother -- she's very direct about everything, where I would rather look something up in a book or online than ask someone, or avoid conflict by hiding a disagreeing view. I guess I'm an introvert and she's more extroverted.

But I hope I do as good a job as she's done and continues to do! She gave me my love of music, and is the most supportive mommy I could ask for.

robynm

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 11:35 am
Oh G-d, I pray every day that I am not like my mother. What a scary thought!

checkbefore

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 4:49 pm
I am nothing like my mother and in every way like my father.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 6:28 pm
absolutely nothing like my mother. Me and her have never got along. We are polar opposites, but I am quite a bit like my father.

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 6:38 pm
In some ways I am like her. In others I am diametrically opposite her. I made certain promises to myself that I would never treat my children the way she did, but I lived with her during my formative years and it would be impossible not to have picked up some of her traits.

sayinghi

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:21 pm
I certainly hope not!

SS6099

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:34 pm
My mother is wonderful but I am a complete opposite. More like my MIL actually!

cs1

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:28 pm
Out of all of my siblings, I'm the most like my mom. Just a bit more toned down then her. (Thank gd..or at least I like to think so..lol) I get the most annoyed at her even though I love her and am pretty close to her. I live away from her and try to visit her every week (at least a 5 hr trip)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics