Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this true - people who are not nice live long?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:35 am
that people who aren't nice live a longer life?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:41 am
Where did you hear that from?

rachel91

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:43 am
Once heard about it, not exactly about 'people who aren't nice' but about people who make everyone's lives miserable, bad people. I don't know if it's true.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:54 am
YES.

I know two guys who spent their whole lives using others and making other people miserable. They are both incredibly healthy. They are in their sixties but look forty.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 7:56 am
No. It just feels like forever to everyone else.

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:00 am
ITA with poster above me. Although studies have shown that those who are happier tend to be healthier, it does seem like mean people live longer. I know one woman who was emotionally and verbally abusive to her family, who was a real back- stabber and methodically got rid of all her "friends", who disowned her daughter for doing something she didn't like, and lived completely healthily until 100.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:18 am
Reshaim sometimes have the zechus of their few good actions in this world. If it seems a lot, imagine how much normal people will have Wink

shaqued_almond

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:24 am
think about it this way, a person with a really ugly personality doesn't build his share for the coming world. whenever he might happen to actually do something good, he can only merit from it in this world, so hashem gives him his pay with a healthy life... on the other hand those people don't really have a "life", they might be physically in shape but being constantly unhappy they do not enjoy this life. in fact it is more of a punishment for them to live with their unhappiness and regret of losing his loved ones for a long time.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:25 am
What are you talking about
If Billy Joel said it must be true Smile
Only the good die young

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:25 am
I don't think it's that simple & none of us can pretend to know god's actions ...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:32 am
sequoia wrote:
YES.

I know two guys who spent their whole lives using others and making other people miserable. They are both incredibly healthy. They are in their sixties but look forty.

Sixties - not so old.
But just to hedge my bets: Angry Banging head Im with stupid Exploding anger Exploding anger Im with stupid
(Wow. Just added a few years to my life!)

No offense intended, OP.
(Dang, just lost them!)

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:32 am
it might be true for some people but are you saying that all people 90 upwards are bad people?

isn't that bad to think as then you will automatically judge anyone old as a bad person

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:50 am
Let's see. Offhand I can think of a few people in their 80s who are crabby, critical and prone to tantrums. However I can think of some more people in their 80s who are sweet, thoughtful and nice.

Hmm. Guess we wait and see who lives to be 100? Or we debunk this right now because people are people, all people are different, and if you're noticing a lot of nasty old people it's just because nasty people make more noise.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:05 am
I think that ornery people tend to live longer and gentle people tend to die younger. I think if someone has an inherently feisty nature, in general they are going to be a fighter. This might serve them well to get past illnesses and life's disappointments. I also think that mean people tend to blame their problems on other people, and in a way, this is healthier than putting it on themselves. Gentle people are not fighters, they might be worriers and tend to blame themselves and turn problems inward, which is unhealthy. Also, if they are given a poor prognosis, they might tend to accept it more than a crabby person. Like if a gentle person were told, "I'm sorry, but you have six months to live," they might just accept it and try to make the most out of those six months. The mean person might say, "Scr*w you! I'll show you who has six months to live!" And then go on to live another 60 years.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:08 am
well, that way no one is around to lie about how nice they were at the funeral.

The very elderly people I know (late 80s, 90s) seem to be very nice people. If a bit lonely since almost all their contemporaries are senile or dead.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:44 am
maybe in general but I know a few people and have known people who passed away in their late 90's who were special people. I think it is true to a certain extent, but not universally, because it is only G-d who knows why each soul needs to be here for a different amount of time. You cannot just label these things. It is often said that someone who passes young has been here before and came back just to complete some final thing that they didn't do last time around. While someone who lives till 95 could be being given that amount of time because life is a longer journey for them, they are meant to experience all their soul needs in this lifetime to grow to its maximum potential so that they can enter heaven and receive reward directly. So you could see it as the wicked person (I.e. they are given longer here in which to receive their full reward here), or you could see it that those old people who are good are being given all their "punishment" here. You have to remember that yes, there are some old people who remain pretty healthy up to the very old ages (these are probably the nasty people you are referring to), but some old people suffer very much and are fraught with illnesses. I've come across many old people who are so very ill, and I think that that they go straight to heaven
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics