Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Tell school about pregnancy before or after hired????

amother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:35 pm
I am only 10 weeks pregnant and do not like to tell anyone about my pregnancy until at least the first trimester is over (I have had a miscarriage). Now the school is hiring for next year. I think the right thing to do is tell them when they offer me a job that I am pregnant. I feel like if I accept the job and tell them a month or two later that I'm pregnant, they will feel like I was purposely hiding it. Is it okay to not tell a school if I am due the end of dec/beg of jan until later in the summer, or should I go against my policy of telling early and tell them now at hiring?

rachelbg

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:38 pm
I think it's fine to keep it from them. If you were already working for them you still wouldn't be telling yet, nor would other employees either. I would, however, let them know as soon as you are comfortable. It would establish an open relationship, and if you sense that they feel resentful that you didn't say anything you can tell them that you have a history of pregnancy loss, so you feel uncomfortable sharing with anyone until certain milestones are established.

Rodent

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:21 am
Don't tell them now, there is a good chance you won't get the job -- legal or not.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:41 am
If you were working for them previously and it's just a question of being re-hired for next year, I wouldn't say anything.
If its a new job I would 100% say something.
It wasn't totally clear from your post which situation you are in.
Don't forget that at 10 weeks now, you will almost for sure be showing even before the school year officially starts so won't be a secret for very long.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:46 am
Rodent wrote:
Don't tell them now, there is a good chance you won't get the job -- legal or not.

This happened to people I know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics