Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Time for a NEW serial thread
1  2  Next

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:28 pm
Mama Bear revived such a fun thread. I was rereading and cracking up at how worked up we all got. Well, lots of new serials on the scene now. Which are you following and how are you finding them?

I'm following Dov Haller's in Mishpacha and am finding it slower than usual. Not enough happening in each chapter.

Role Play in Family First is a very real read. There's something that unnerves me every week but I keep coming back for more.

Sisters Under Siege is the kind of book I think I'll love as a book. I gave up after a few chapters since I couldn't follow but I love the historic period and the mental illness portrayal

Picture Perfect in Inyan is probably my favorite at this point. It's making me mad but boy does it leave me with loads of food for thought

Binah has Etka Gitel's new novel The Gray Lines-- I taught civil war history so I'm biased Smile but I'm getting into it slower than her other novels. I know I'm going to end up loving it though.

Ami's main serial written by someone Yabok I have not followed-- I find the writing poor

Ami Living has a serial The Narrow Bridge that is as unrealistic as they come and therefore I'm finding it hard to relate.

Okie doke-- those are my opinions. What are yours? For clarity, please bold the name of the novel or magazine it appears in so we can follow which one you're talking about Smile

jerusalem-girl

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:38 pm
I don't keep up with serials. I like reading a book and ending it that night.

I read some parts of Leah Gebber's Sisters Under Siege, and I eagerly wait for it to be published in book form.
I love the time period, I love how Leah writes, and from the parts I've read, the characterization and plot are very well done.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 3:42 pm
Binah:

I LOVED Duel Secrets & am sorry to see it end.
LIbby Lazewnik's - I find she is too biased towards the dysfunctional moms, who have both not yet 'gottn' where theyre erring.
I actually am enjoying Etka Gitel's Civil War piece, but I can't see how much drama can come about from it, and I'm a little tired of her doing ONLY period dramas.

MISHPACHA:

I'm enjoying Dov Haller's story but it seems to be a lot of 'insider information' that only peopl ewho work in the magazine industry will get.
I like Role Play but it's a little too angsty.
Sisters Under Siege I actually like, but not crazy over the era it's based on.

AMI:

Actually loving Brainstorm but it's a little scary.
I like the new one by Dina Neuman in Ami Living, I've forgotten the name.
Peri Berger's serial, I dont like how Shuli is suddenly such a good girl and she suddenly wants Shraga back after the divorce. I know where it's heading and I'm not happy.

newcomer

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 3:14 pm
good idea -
only get Mishpacha and Binah so.....
Mishpacha - love sister's under seige and dov haller's are pretty good
very disappointed with Binah's serials lately -
very cliched and boring.
whatever happened with sarah weiderblank? her stories are amazing!!!

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 5:27 pm
I only buy Binah so:

The Gray Lines
I like the high society bits, but those two Bavarian guys are getting me nervous: why is one called by his first name and the other by his last name?
Also, I'm pretty sure someone is going to end up getting killed So whose heart is going to be broken? Crying
I'm just trying to figure out who will get EGS's award for favourite character: Noah? Wolf? Some other overly emotional young man we haven't met yet?

Duel Secrets
I'm so happy it's over - it was seriously cringy! Just two questions I still have: how did Zalmy save his home from foreclosure and did Avigdor get to keep his ill-gotten gains?

The Song of the Sparrow
Just waiting for Chayala and Gedalia to end up together, shoudl only be a few more weeks now...
Seriously, Libby Lazewnik's writing is way too cliched; all her stories have an overbearing Ma, and eltere bochur, a rebellious teen, an oversensitive housewife, a criminal and someone sick. Can't she vary the plot a bit?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 6:53 pm
I only read mishpacha. Sisters under siege is excellent- anything from that period touches me deeply, and I love the characters here too. Dov Haller's is nicely done but slow moving. Roleplay, eh. I should add that serials are not my thing, although I keep up with all of them, so I don't get overly enthusiastic about any.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 7:05 pm
A narrow bridge is still around???? The last thing I heard was that he woke up from his accident and didn't remember the woman he was dating/engaged to, but he remembered shuli although he didn't remember the divorce. What happened after that?
I like role play and I liked dual secrets. I like the one wig Chayala (forgot what it's called) While I don't like that two people died, I do like he "mida kineged mida" way that what's his name died.

wereafamily

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 7:23 pm
Sisters Under Siege, love it.

MyTimeNow

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 8:07 pm
Anyone reading Picture Perfect? Batya Ruddell's writing about alchoholism- its in the Hamodia magazine.

MyTimeNow

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 8:08 pm
Oops lol I guess someone is- missed that!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 8:47 pm
runningmom wrote:
Anyone reading Picture Perfect? Batya Ruddell's writing about alchoholism- its in the Hamodia magazine.

Yes. Looking forward to this week's implosion.

rise above

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 10:38 am
Dov Hallers- I like it a lot. I would also appreciate if the story was longer each week or moved more, but I love the way he does his characterization and his plots are always different and touch on different societal issues.

Role Play in Family first- I am also enjoying it. Each of the characters in gnawing at me for different reasons but I like that feeling! It also is not moving as quickly as I would like. I'd probably enjoy it more as a book.

Sisters Under Siege- it's good but I don't feel at all pulled towards it. I'm not waiting for my magazine to come to read it:)

The Gray Lines-- All EGR serials are slow at the beginning and then pick up. I always find the first few chapters a confusion of names and places but I am starting to warm up SLowly to this one.

Ami's main serial - Also not interesting enough for me to follow.

The Narrow Bridge- get's me more mad each week!

nosher

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 10:41 am
How about Victory Gardens? Is anyone following that story? I'm trying to figure out where it's headed.

Alef Bais

Post Thu, Jun 13 2013, 9:06 pm
The Narrow Bridge in Ami Living is my absolutely favorite serial. I can't get enough of it! I wish it was a book so I could just read it from start to finish already.

boysmom79

Post Thu, Jun 13 2013, 10:19 pm
Please bring back sara wieserblank!! She was great!! In general mishpacha is much better with serials in my opinion. Love dov haller, sisters under siege is amazing!! And the one with the sisters ( and the coffee shop) is ok.

I am also enjoying the one with Mimi the super Kiruv person but last weeks had such potential and then lost it ...

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Jun 16 2013, 9:08 am
I love Sisters under seige - my only complaint is that it's too short, just one double spread every week and it has taken too long to get going because of it - not like the 3-4 double page spreads of most of the other serials. It is so moving, I find myself almost in tears most weeks from the description of one scene or the whole feeling of it. it will be much better as a book - I feel like I'm waiting for it to end so it can be published LOL

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 10:24 am
boysmom79 wrote:
Please bring back sara wieserblank!! She was great!! In general mishpacha is much better with serials in my opinion. Love dov haller, sisters under siege is amazing!! And the one with the sisters ( and the coffee shop) is ok.

I am also enjoying the one with Mimi the super Kiruv person but last weeks had such potential and then lost it ...

You'd be happy to know that her Sara's new serial is starting next Monday iY"H.

chocolate fondue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 4:49 pm
Yay! 'Song of the Sparrow' is over. The most unrealistic story ever! Can you imagine the REAL feelings a family would have if a seminary girl was donating her kidney to her older sister? And what the recovery period would REALLY be like? Come on!

Bring on Sara Weiderblank - I can't wait!

tsiggelle

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 6:54 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
Yay! 'Song of the Sparrow' is over. The most unrealistic story ever! Can you imagine the REAL feelings a family would have if a seminary girl was donating her kidney to her older sister? And what the recovery period would REALLY be like? Come on!

I haven't read the last installment yet, but I just wanted to say this. Love and hate both blur the lines of usual living. When there is so much antagonistic feelings between people (for one, and the other feelings in the unhealthy balance), there are bound to be differences in real life to what 'usually' happens in real life.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 2:35 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:

My beef (disclaimer, didn't finish reading it, subscription ran out): if the transplant was happening in winter, why couldn't she go back to seminary for the last few months?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room