Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
KUGEL ON SHABBOS
1  2  Next

smile

Post Fri, May 13 2005, 4:06 am
How do you heat up Kugel for Shabbos morning ? Or how do you keep it warm for the whole Shabbos without getting it burned. By me it always gets burned even if I put something between the kugel and hotplate.

thebestmommy

Post Fri, May 13 2005, 10:12 am
I put about half of my potato kugel in my cholent, wrapped in foil. It tastes yum, since it's been cooking all night. It gets a drop darker, but it tastes delicious.

If you don't want to put it inside the cholent, you can wrap it in foil and put it on top of the crock pot. This way it will stay warm.

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 4:33 am
a blech or the electric ones. because we use the electric ones and it never burns. we put it in a cooking bag and put it on a rack and it always comes out fine and never burnt. I don't like the blech that you put straight on the fire too dangerous with my kids around. the electric one I put on a timer.

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:04 am
On shabbos morning I put an empty foil container upside down on the hotplate then I can put the kugel on top of it - about an hour b4 we eat.

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:23 am
it only take an hour to warm up a kugel that way? I tried it once and it took me two hours. shock

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:25 am
Depends how big the kugel is... Also dh always turns it over in middle... LOL

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:56 am
okay that is possible then in an hour.

gryp

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 4:58 pm
how does a hotplate work? you are allowed to put food onto a hotplate on shabbos?

supermom

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 3:08 am
why not? it works on electricity.

1stimer

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 7:27 am
RG, you are only allowed to put food on a hotplate, if you put an upside down container or a pot on it first and then put the food on that. So there is a real distinction between the foood and hotplate.

cy

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 9:42 pm
supermom wrote:

what do u mean by that? if its electric it can still cook, which is ossur on shabbos.

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 9:59 pm
Quote:
you are only allowed to put food on a hotplate, if you put an upside down container or a pot on it first and then put the food on that.

you put the container/pot on before shabbos and it sits there the whole time? or you put it on on shabbos when you want to put your kugel on?

supermom

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 2:51 am
hmm good question before shabbos we put all our pots straight on the blech just the kugel and chicken that would burn on top of something. but on shabbos itself we put a pan on the blech to warm up any food that is needed. as not to make maras ayin

sarahd

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:02 am
cy wrote:
supermom wrote:

what do u mean by that? if its electric it can still cook, which is ossur on shabbos.

Once your kugel is cooked, it can't be cooked again ("ein bishul achar bishul") so what would the issur be?

supermom

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:17 am
your absolutley correct.

gryp

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:17 am
but if your kugel is baked- there could be a problem because there is bishul after afiyah. and sometimes the baking pan can have water droplets or something on it from being in the fridge.
do the same halachos as putting things on a blech apply to putting things on a hotplate? im just wondering because ive only seen blechs used so I know nothing about hotplates.

supermom

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:20 am
same halachos apply everything needs to be made sure that there is no liquid and everything has to be dry before applying to blech

gryp

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:31 am
so the pan on the bottom is only for maris ayin (as someone said?) or its the halacha that you must do it not to put things straight on top of the blech?
funny I would never think of putting something on the blech on shabbos, but I dont know the specific halacha about it. I do know people who put challah on top of a pot or upside down pan, like you mentioned so I wonder if its the same thing.

supermom

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:42 am
the reason is only because of maras ayin. and it also goes for a regualr blech.

1stimer

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 6:41 am
even though ain bishul acher bishul you are not allowed to put something directly on the flame. You are allowed to put it on a pot that is on the flame though. The same thing with a hotplate. Not directly on the hotplate but you can put it on a pot that is on the hotplate.

some say the empty pot should be on from before shabbos some say it's fine to put it on on shabbos
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes