Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
ISRAEL? ISO Sushi ingredients (mock crab)

Liebs

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 3:11 am
I just started making my own sushi and wanted to know a few things....
Firstly in Jerusalem...
1. Where can I get imitation crab?
2. Where is the cheapest place to get the sushi rice and other stuff. what about the greeen and orange stufff?
3. How do you make the crunchy outside type?

I'm waiting to make it to satisfy my cravings.............!
TIA

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 4:01 am
There are lots of sushi ingredients, but I think mock crab might be considered such a specialty item that they don't have it. I've never tried it, nor have I seen any of the sushi restaurants offer it.

chani8

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 4:14 am
You cannot get imitation crab here, I don't think.

mandksima

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 8:26 am
I bought the imitation crab here once, I'm trying to remember where I found it, I think Supersol, something like 13 shekels. It wasn't worth it IMO though, you can get fresh fish here or lox. Panko crumbs are what makes the outer part crunchy, I believe, and that is sold in the sushi ingredients area of major supermarkets. I found ingredients cheaper in the Eden Teva Market chain but I doubt there are such differences in prices on imported items. Chatzi Chinam stores would also have good selection and prices too most likely.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 9:08 am
I haven't seen surimi here. Panko.... everywhere. Even my local supermarket has it.

Liebs

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 3:22 pm
Thanks.
I didn't see ingredients in cheaperkol. Anywhere else to get it?
Shefa/Sharei ezra/Yesh/Hachi kedai???
what's the green stuff called?

HOw do you make it crunchy, fry it?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 7:11 pm
I also find fake crab to be quite expensive and not worth the effort. Actually there's a much cheaper alternative. Believe it or not, it's gefilte fish (boiled, not fried variety, and preferably something not too sweet). It may sound odd, but actually makes sense, as both are made from ground white fish after all...

"Green stuff" is called wasabi, which is grated horseradish. It normally comes in a small tin or a glass jar as powder. You add water to reconstitute to paste.

Rice--it's not exact and definitely not authentic but if you can get pudding rice (check the grains, they should be somewhat chubby/round), that would be the closest alternative that also comes out "sticky". Do NOT use other types of rice (Thai, jasmine, Persian, basmati, quick cook)--those long grains do not give you right consistency.

Crunchy stuff? I dunno. Are you referring to seaweed (nori) or sesame seeds? I use sesame seeds for inside-out rolls. I thought panko was for making schnitzels or crumb topping, never seen one used in sushi. I've seen tempura rolls which has crunchy fritter-like batters (egg white, flour, water, salt) but they're fillings inside.

thekosherchannel

Post Sat, Jun 15 2013, 6:52 pm
I usually find sushi rice at Cheaper Kol in Givat Shaul. On Agrippas across from the shuk is a health food store with lots of asian ingredients, you'll probably find everything you need there and cheaper too. Also at the shuk David Dagim sells sushi grade tuna and salmon-pricey though.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jun 16 2013, 12:52 am
I *think* I remember buying sushi supplies at nitzat haduvdevan on kanfei nesharim (other side of the road from Cheaperkol, but further towards the city).

hila

Post Sun, Jun 16 2013, 1:31 am
Our RL (at Tsmoet Hagush) has a section of Sushi ingredients. And what we cant get there - we got over the road at Duvdevan.
I never use fresh fish (only smoked) in sushi

Liebs

Post Sun, Jun 23 2013, 8:21 am
So I found ALL the ingredients in the makolet on Paran, Ramat Eshkol (next door to Sams).
I also found most of the ingredients in Anak Habasar in Arzei Habirah.
I found rice specifically for sushi from "Sugat" and found soy sauce specifically for sushi from "knorr".
I'm enjoying eatign a lot of sushi but my rolls are not coming out pretty at all.
They are conming out flat and rice coming out at ends.
ANy tips? TIA

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 23 2013, 11:20 am
"They're coming out flat and rice coming out at ends"

1. Are you using a bamboo mat to roll?
Also where are you placing the filling? It should be almost at the middle of the nori sheet or just slightly
below, as I was taught.
2. I find most common mistake people make is they load up rice too much.
You should still be able to see seeweed.
3. Are you using a sharp knife to cut? Personally I find a serrated knife works best,
and you'll need to rinse the blade so it doesn't get too sticky.

Liebs

Post Sun, Jun 23 2013, 2:49 pm
Yes was doing all of above...
Today I sharpened my knife and it worked MUCH better.
I see I was holding bamboom mat too tight.

I learned to do it with half a nori sheet.
When I did with a whole it came out a lot nicer.
What do you do whole or half?

Do you ever make tempura rolls?
HOw do you do it without a deep fryer?

Thanks so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions