Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
So I Bought R' Scheinberg's Biography....

September June

Post Thu, Jun 13 2013, 10:24 pm
....and it has pictures!

Of women!

Lots of women!

I have not started reading it yet. I am still enjoying the photos. Smile

B"H I will update this thread after I start reading the book.

fromthedepths

Post Thu, Jun 13 2013, 11:49 pm
The book about Rebbetzin Kanievsky has lots of pictures of her, as well as other female family members.

September June

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 12:05 am
fromthedepths wrote:
The book about Rebbetzin Kanievsky has lots of pictures of her, as well as other female family members.

The book didn't really have pictures of the women in the Kanievsky family, just of the Rebbetzin. The biographies that don't include pictures of women do so because of the wishes of the niftar's family. I am glad the Scheinberg's were willing to share pictures of the women in their family. It really added a lot to the book for me!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 12:27 am
All for the Boss also had pictures, I guess the Hermans are still old school Very Happy

jerusalem-girl

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 2:35 am
I'm glad I read this post. Because frankly, without pictures of women, I would fear that this biography is historical revisionism.

R' Scheinberg was so not extreme in these things.

Let us know about the content and style. I might want to buy it while it's still Shavua Hasefer in Israel.

freidasima

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 2:52 am
Did I ever tell you about the three pictures I have of my parents and good rabbonish friends of theirs on vacation 55 years ago, 40 years ago and 22 years ago? In all of the pictures the two couples are in "the country".

So in the first one the women are wearing knee length cotton dresses, sleeves above/to the elbow, and summer hats, v necked tops (not deep) and the men are wearing wide bermuda shorts, sandals and polo shirts and beige straw hats.

In the second the men are already wearing dark straw hats, the women are wearing sheitls and longer skirts and in the third, the women are wearing really long skirts, the men are in button light shirts, long dark pants and felt hats, the women's sleeves are 3/4 and round neck top (no V neck). By that picture they were all in their "acceptable clothing". they hadn't changed, their surroundings had made it uncomfortable for them to dress as they wished when they were in such company...

changing times.

sarahd

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 3:38 am
All for the Boss was published before women were banned from the printed arena.

jerusalem-girl

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 3:44 am
This reminds me, Rabbi Berel Wein tells the story of Maharitz Dushinsky who testified before the United Nations before the paritition of Palestine.
He sat next to a female transcriber.
The Chassidim sought to publicize the picture of him at the United Nations, but couldn't do so because of the lady right there (today, they would just photo shop- remember Hillary?).
So they somehow added a beard to this woman.
But they accidentally left her skirt.
So it remained a question whether Harav Dushinsky sat next to a man with a skirt or a woman with a beard.

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 6:58 am
I also enjoyed the pictures and how the women were dressed.

I remember the good old normal days and I miss them so much.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 8:36 am
I don't get the surprise. Lots of biographies have had pictures of women. It's quite likely that the first generation of biographies were of subjects who simply didn't have lots of pictures floating b'chlal.

fromthedepths

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 9:44 am
September June wrote:
fromthedepths wrote:

The book didn't really have pictures of the women in the Kanievsky family, just of the Rebbetzin. The biographies that don't include pictures of women do so because of the wishes of the niftar's family. I am glad the Scheinberg's were willing to share pictures of the women in their family. It really added a lot to the book for me!

Also her mother. Or maybe grandmother. Don't remember, but someone from a previous generation. Now that I'm thinking about it, it doesn't have any pictures of her daughters.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 11:33 am
fromthedepths wrote:

Also her mother. Or maybe grandmother. Don't remember, but someone from a previous generation. Now that I'm thinking about it, it doesn't have any pictures of her daughters.

Possibility it's by request?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 17 2013, 1:56 pm
Rebbishe kalla. Daughter of rebbe Bentzion Halberstam zatsal. 1931. 23 year old. NORMAL.

September June

Post Mon, Jun 17 2013, 7:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
fromthedepths wrote:

Possibility it's by request?

I am almost positive that it is by request.

Nice picture Ruchel!

I started reading the book and although I have not yet finished it, it seems to be very accurate. The book emphasizes R' Scheinberg's devotion to his wife (one story: After Yom Kippur, he was served coffee and cake in his office to help him regain his strength after the fast. He drank the coffee and took the cake home. When he got home, he presented the cake to his wife and said "Bessie, look what I brought for you!"). It also stresses how R' Scheinberg would always tell his talmidim to help their wives etc.

One section of the book discusses the Scheinbergs' sons-in-law. It mentioned one son-in-law, although a tremendous talmid chochom was also very "normal"- he used to bring the newspaper in to the house for his wife to read every morning (I was thinking, was he "normal" because he had a newspaper subscription or because he would bring the newspaper in to his wife?)

The book also described how down to earth (normal!!!) R' Scheinberg was.
A few stories: R' Scheinberg was once speaking to a group of young American boys from a more modern background. The boys were uncomfortable and not sure how they would be able to relate to this big tzaddik. R' Scheinberg gave the boys a big smile and asked "who's a Yankee fan?" Immediately the boys relaxed and listened closely to R' Scheinberg's message that he gave over to them afterwards.

R' Scheinberg acted as a the posek for a day camp that was run for English speaking children in Mattersdorf. One day the head of the camp came to him and said that they had received a complaint from a camper's parent. The camper was in a bunk called Chaveirim and the counselor taught the group the song "Shalom Chaveirim" (which has roots in the anti-religious Shomer Hatzair movement). The parent questioned if the song was appropriate. The director didn't think it was a big deal but he decided to ask R' Scheinberg what to do. R' Scheinberg thought about it for a minute and then took the camp director to the bais midrash. He pointed to the aron hakodesh, which had a huge Magen David perched at the top.
He explained that when the Yehsiva moved from Besonhurst to Israel, he was told the same thing: the Magen David must go.
"What did the Rosh Yeshiva say?" asked the director.
"Look at the aron hakodesh, that was my response."

The director had his answer. The song stayed.

I will bli neder update this thread again when I finish the book.

V'shavu Banim

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 5:07 pm
The books In Every Generation and Holy Woman also have pictures of women who are not the protagonist. The Rebbetzin Kanievsky book also has a picture of Rebbetzin Elyashiv and Rebbetzin Levin.

September June

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 5:27 pm
V'shavu Banim wrote:
The books In Every Generation and Holy Woman also have pictures of women who are not the protagonist. The Rebbetzin Kanievsky book also has a picture of Rebbetzin Elyashiv and Rebbetzin Levin.

Artscroll doesn't put pictures of women in the book if that's what the protagonist's family wants. It has nothing to do with Artscroll's policy.

I finished the book and I felt it painted an accurate picture of R' Scheinberg z"tl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room