Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Welcoming People to the Site

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 11:33 am
IMO, maybe it's not a good idea to post a welcome thread when people join the site. Many people want to remain under the radar when they first join and feel uncomfortable when they see a thread - immediately after signing up - that's completely dedicated to them.

I know it would make me feel a little weird.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 12:00 pm
I was just wondering, the people who introduce others, is it because they know them or do they just look on the bottom of the forum page and introduce the latest member?

I think sometimes it helps when someone is introduced, it gives them more courage to speak up, rather than having to introduce themselves.
And if someone doesn't want to speak up they could just ignore the welcome and after a few days everyone will forget about them.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 12:05 pm
Quote:
I think sometimes it helps when someone is introduced, it gives them more courage to speak up, rather than having to introduce themselves.
And if someone doesn't want to speak up they could just ignore the welcome and after a few days everyone will forget about them
I agree Very Happy

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 12:44 pm
I was sure those posters were friends with the newbies they were introducing.

How about before starting a welcoming thread, just PM that poster and ask if it's okay.

shayna82

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 12:54 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
IMO, maybe it's not a good idea to post a welcome thread when people join the site. Many people want to remain under the radar when they first join and feel uncomfortable when they see a thread - immediately after signing up - that's completely dedicated to them.

I know it would make me feel a little weird.

I agree. maybe they just want to feel out the site before being pressured to answer the welcoming committe.

mannyzmom

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:00 pm
well is anyone welcomed me I wouldnt have even seen it! it took me time til I came on and figured out how to get to posts and how to post! embarrassed

queen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:10 pm
To each their own.... I wouldn't have liked seeing my name up there with a welcome thread. I would've backed away thinking this was some cult of sorts. Twisted Evil

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:35 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
I was just wondering, the people who introduce others, is it because they know them or do they just look on the bottom of the forum page and introduce the latest member?

And if someone doesn't want to speak up they could just ignore the welcome and after a few days everyone will forget about them.

I welcomed those whose names I didn't recognize who were logged on at the time. I checked on their profiles that they had joined in the last week or two. No, it wasn't anyone I knew.

I thought it would be nice for them, even if they didn't answer.

But I hear you Defy and queen and I think I'll stop.

suomynona

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 3:19 pm
I agree with Defy. I wouldn't want it.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:53 pm
I was very happy when people welcomed me! It made me feel very "at home"!!!!!

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:57 pm
Shalhevet, I just hope you know that I wasn't trying to pick on you! It's something that I've been noticing for awhile (and I never looked at who started the threads) - chances are, the people that don't end up posting wouldn't have posted anyways.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:59 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I welcomed those whose names I didn't recognize who were logged on at the time. I checked on their profiles that they had joined in the last week or two. No, it wasn't anyone I knew.

and here I thought you had loads of friends that you had recommended imamother to Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:30 pm
I have welcomed ppl I didn't know from Adam/

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 3:47 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Shalhevet, I just hope you know that I wasn't trying to pick on you! It's something that I've been noticing for awhile (and I never looked at who started the threads) - chances are, the people that don't end up posting wouldn't have posted anyways.

Nah, Defy, I never thought that. Smile

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 9:54 am
hey, I agree. When new posters are ready to post, they will. Bringing up their usernames probably just makes them feel uncomfortable.

mannyzmom

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 2:26 pm
shalhevet did u change yor mind? saw you introduced again today.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 2:35 pm
mannyzmom wrote:
shalhevet did u change yor mind? saw you introduced again today.

No, I didn't start a new thread today. Maybe it was a continuation of an old one? I saw a couple of posters replied to theirs.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 4:10 pm
GR wrote:
I was sure those posters were friends with the newbies they were introducing.

How about before starting a welcoming thread, just PM that poster and ask if it's okay.

That wouldn't always work out bec. most ppl don't know what that ringing sound is.. not e/one knows how to check pms..
I'm sure that some of them have no idea they were welcomed, especially those that join and then forget about the site or don't have time to visit..

Mostly I've welcomed ppl I know.

technic

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 4:14 pm
queen wrote:
To each their own.... I wouldn't have liked seeing my name up there with a welcome thread. I would've backed away thinking this was some cult of sorts. Twisted Evil

u mean it isnt??? ok - im off 2 find the scientologists Wink

queen

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 7:20 pm
Nervous Sunny Nervous
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics