Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Are you fasting tomorrow Shiva Asar B'Tammuz?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Are you fasting Shiva Asar B'Tammuz?
Yes, what's the question.  
 26%  [ 54 ]
No, I am either pregnant or nursing  
 45%  [ 92 ]
No, women don't have to fast on these "small" fast days  
 18%  [ 38 ]
no, because of a medical reason  
 6%  [ 13 ]
no, I got a heter not to because it would be too difficult for me  
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 204

Inspired

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 9:50 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is one of the few times you will ever hear me say "DH won't let".

I do try to fast, I want to fast, but I get horribly ill when I try. I usually end up with a three day migraine, and a relapse the puts me in bed for the rest of the week. I also take medication that must be taken with milk and food.

When I was nursing my second kid and asked about 17 tamuz and mentioned migraines the rav answered that even when not pg. or nursing I should not be fasting except for 9 av and yom kippur if I get migraines.
If you have migraines, ask. It never occurred to me and I suffered needlessly for years until that point.

rosenbal

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:18 am
My husband didn't believe me when I told him (a long time ago) that even if I nurse once a day I didn't have to fast.(The minor fast days; YK and Tisha B'Av I do .) Then his rav - the one HE brought into our marriage:-) agreed with me LOL. Since then there were a couple of kids that I made sure to NOT completely wean until after the next minor fast day! They were about a year then so it really worked out well ...bit of a legal loophole...but I think LOR approved:-)

morah

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:29 am
I am not fasting due to pregnancy. It just hit me that other than YK and TB, I have not fasted in nearly 3 years. This past 10 Tevet I was still nursing. By the time Ta'anis Esther rolled around, I had weaned but was at the end of the first trimester.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:49 am
Yes, but I wish I werent. I have a headache and am starving already. I'm a lousy faster. I'm not going to get any work done. Can't wait for this day to be over.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:55 am
morah wrote:
I am not fasting due to pregnancy. It just hit me that other than YK and TB, I have not fasted in nearly 3 years. This past 10 Tevet I was still nursing. By the time Ta'anis Esther rolled around, I had weaned but was at the end of the first trimester.

Well, I can beat you to it! Except for TB and YK, the last fast I fasted was five and half years ago on asara bteves.

I got married three days before purim so I was told that during sheva brachos I should not fast ta'anis esther. By shiva asar b'tammuz I was pregnant. I nursed until I became pregnant (dc was 16 months old) so two years later one fast I was nursing AND pregnant. Then I nursed for another two years. Stopped nursing shortly after purim (I think, because I didn't fast ta'anis esther)

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:58 am
Nopes! Not fasting today.

busydev

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 11:02 am
my option isnt here....

I am pregnant and I am fasting until I feel weak as per my ravs psak. (tho when dh asked him to define weak he said she should eat by 10am.) its just 10 and im really not feeling at all weak- which is funny cause I usually would feel light headed or slightly shaky if I hadnt eaten breakfast by now. so im waiting a bit more but ill be breaking it soon.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 11:05 am
I'm a pretty good faster but I pay for it later. I often get sick a day or two after a fast with a virus or something. It seems to weaken me. Too bad there's no heter for that, though in all fairness I've never actually inquired regarding this specific reason. I do try to moderate my activities during the day after the fast and that sometimes helps.
I find that for me, one of the incentives to fasting on the minor fasts is that I have kids who fast now so I have to set an example for them. נאה דורש נאה מקיים.

rachel91

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 11:08 am
Yes, and the fast ends after 11 pm here :-(

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 11:14 am
Yeah, and not doing so well at it either Sad

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 11:40 am
I am fasting and hope to continue at least until chatzos.
I am hungry - I really do enjoy a big breakfast. I keep thinking about food but I guess I am feeling OK.
If I am able I will try till the end ( I think around 9:30).
Not fun at all but lots of schar for those who try!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 12:33 pm
Nah, nah, nah!! It's over at about 6:30 here. That's one advantage of living here Confused .

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 1:42 pm
I am nursing and pregnant. So far I am fasting unless I get dizzy or nauseous. That was the psak I got.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 2:11 pm
kalsee wrote:
Raisin wrote:
I fast unless I am pregnant or nursing. I never heard about the baby under 2 heter, so in the past I always fasted even with a baby under 2.

bh I fast pretty well. No headaches or dizziness. In fact I am a much better faster then my husband, but he ALWAYS fasts, however he feels and refuses to ask for a heter.

So much for women being weaker.

The fast goes out pretty late where I live (11pm or so) but its only 18 celsius so its not too bad. Better a longer fast in a cooler climate.

ruchel, not to be be nit picky but if you are taking on chaseedishe minhagim there are many more apart from not fasting that you don't do! (yet...) Twisted Evil

I am also a very good faster, b"h. I always fast, except when nursing (I do fast while pregnant) because then I won't have enough milk for the baby.

chanchy123 wrote:
Raisin, the under two is not a heter, is a blanket exemption, according to my posek (DH).

Many poskim do not hold that way, that anyone with a baby under 2 is exempt. It is not across the board, at all.

I didn't say it is across the board. I said, that according to my posek (who happens to be DH), there is no need for a heter to not fast if you are within two years of childbirth - you just shouldn't fast, because your body needs to recuperate from the trauma of giving birth. This din appears in the rishonim IIRC.
I didn't say that this everyone should do as I do, and that this is universal.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 2:18 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
kalsee wrote:
Raisin wrote:
I fast unless I am pregnant or nursing. I never heard about the baby under 2 heter, so in the past I always fasted even with a baby under 2.

bh I fast pretty well. No headaches or dizziness. In fact I am a much better faster then my husband, but he ALWAYS fasts, however he feels and refuses to ask for a heter.

So much for women being weaker.

The fast goes out pretty late where I live (11pm or so) but its only 18 celsius so its not too bad. Better a longer fast in a cooler climate.

ruchel, not to be be nit picky but if you are taking on chaseedishe minhagim there are many more apart from not fasting that you don't do! (yet...) Twisted Evil

I am also a very good faster, b"h. I always fast, except when nursing (I do fast while pregnant) because then I won't have enough milk for the baby.

chanchy123 wrote:
Raisin, the under two is not a heter, is a blanket exemption, according to my posek (DH).

Many poskim do not hold that way, that anyone with a baby under 2 is exempt. It is not across the board, at all.

I didn't say it is across the board. I said, that according to my posek (who happens to be DH), there is no need for a heter to not fast if you are within two years of childbirth - you just shouldn't fast, because your body needs to recuperate from the trauma of giving birth. This din appears in the rishonim IIRC.
I didn't say that this everyone should do as I do, and that this is universal.

The Yahadut section of Ynet has a Q&A column and today's topic was 17 B'Tammuz. Someone asked about this and the rav (R' Shmuel Shapira. I believe he's the rav of Kochav Yair) answered that mothers with kids under 2 don't have to fast since they fall under the category of "meyneket" even if they're not actually nursing.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 3:06 pm
I'm fasting, but not happily. It's very hot and there are men working with jackhammers on my block. My head feels like it's going to explode.

It doesn't help that I drank a 32 oz Powerade last night so that I would be hydrated and I kept getting up to go to the bathroom. I'm sooooo tired. Yawn

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 3:12 pm
chatzos in NEOH 1:29 pm & 27 seconds

I made it !!! [even though I shouldn't fast because of physical health ... something told me it's a good spiritual cause]

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 3:14 pm
on a side-note, what does this survey tell you ?

how religious/irreligious people are ?

how stupid people are ?

how many amothers succumb to interrogation ?

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 3:17 pm
greenfire wrote:
on a side-note, what does this survey tell you ?

how religious/irreligious people are ?

how stupid people are ?

how many amothers succumb to interrogation ?

How many imamothers are pregnant or nursing, of course. This was a trick way to ask the question Wink

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 3:28 pm
I'm nursing and pregnant! I've been either pregnant or nursing for the last 10.5 years so I only fast Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note