Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Place to buy plastic counter tops in Brooklyn
1  2  Next

madys

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 12:10 pm
I'm looking for a place to buy reusable countertops in or around the boro park area

Thanks for any info.....

Stacy

cindy324

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 2:43 pm
Do you mean the ones that people use for pesach? The really thin plastic ones? If so, you can go to 14th Ave. Hardware. It's on 14th Ave. and 43 -44th street. Even if that isn't what you meant , they should have what you're looking for, they're always fully stocked before pesach. I know this because it's owned by DH's boss, and we get all our stuff there. LOL

iamawife

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 2:44 pm
wilhelms hardware has it as well

madys

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 9:15 am
Yes, I should have been more clear, I will need it for pesach - I will be sure to check out the hardware stores - Thanks for the replies!

How do they sell it - you just tell them the measurements of the countertops?

cindy324

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 3:01 pm
I believe it comes in one size. It's about 5-6 feet long and about 2-3 feet wide. They are very easy to trim with a box cutter, just be careful!

It might come in a smaller size than that , too, I'm not sure. Just ask for plastic countertops. In 14th Ave, Hardware thet have them right by the counter/registers.

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 5:54 pm
ive never heard of these before. how does it work? you put them on top of your regular counter and then you dont have to kasher them? how does it stay on?

cindy324

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 10:27 pm
Yes, you put them on top of your regular countertop. I usually will put some clear packing tape on the bottom of the countertops to make them stick.

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 11:25 pm
does anyone know of a place in flatbush that sells these countertops? im going to be near the buzz on coney island ave. on sunday and wanted to pick some up.

Squash

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:06 am
They're basically corrugated plastic and almost any jewish hardware/houseware store carries them before pesach.

I think OP asked for reusable (meaning, put them away for next year). I noticed an ad for those in the Torah Times last week.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:51 am
Taping the edges down to your counters holds them very well. I'm putting a layer of silver foil down first. My parents do that so I feel better with the 2 layers.

micki

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:21 am
we use contact paper.
and no there is no residue left when we take it off

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:15 pm
I use to corregated plastic and then put the contact paper over it to hide the seams. A pesach kitchen does take a beating during the yom tov. I am pretty excited when I can ripe it all down. If you go to any of the jewish harware stores in brooklyn, they should carry most of you pesach needs for the kitchen like sink inserts to table cloths.

Squash

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:48 pm
But I do kasher the counters before I cover them.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 3:00 pm
dh always rigged something up, I have no idea what he gets. I think it's a combination of cardboard and contact paper.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:09 pm
I use the plastics, but they are definitely not reusable.

on my shelves in the cabinets I use shelving paper, but I was thinking of using contact paper. for those who use contact paper, doesnt that leave marks when you take it off?

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:00 pm
NY2434 wrote:
I use the plastics, but they are definitely not reusable.

on my shelves in the cabinets I use shelving paper, but I was thinking of using contact paper. for those who use contact paper, doesnt that leave marks when you take it off?

sure they are. I have been using the same ones for 6 years already. As long as you never put something hot on them they are fine. My mom reuses them too.

shoy18

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:28 pm
yedidya's mom wrote:
does anyone know of a place in flatbush that sells these countertops? im going to be near the buzz on coney island ave. on sunday and wanted to pick some up.

Check the Buzz, happy home, Pennies For Less, they have them everywhere I saw them in the Grocery store today.

They aren't reusable, they are really inexpensive and they have them in two sizes

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:29 pm
the past few years when I have used them, somehow they smell so badly when I took them off:(

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:25 am
By me they get all greasy , it's impossible to clean , I'd rather buy new ones.

And NY2434, you're right, it does stink, because moisture gets underneath it.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:38 pm
Mine dont smell, They are slightly yellowed. I never had a prpblem- as long as you tape them down well, water will not get in and they will not smell. Its not a price issue, If you have odd shaped counters, its alot of work to cut the plastic to fit, It took almost 3 hours to get it right that first time, definately something I want to do on a regular yearly basis.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics