Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Eyebrow threading vs. waxing for dd?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 10:03 am
trying to decide between getting dd's eyebrows waxed or threaded... any idea on which is less painful? I've been through both, and I'm pretty much numb by now Smile She's a little nervous because she heard waxing hurts, but I don't know if threading is less painful? any ideas?

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 10:53 am
waxing is less painful, and I get mine threaded anyway

I get mine threaded, and brought a friend's tween with me one day. she moaned in pain and then complained about it the whole day. (I also get that she's a tween, and that tweens are melodramatic.)

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 1:49 pm
vintage, curious why you prefer threading over waxing?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 1:54 pm
how old is your DD?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 1:56 pm
she's 11 years old, and her eyebrows are very "wild" she is very self conscious, and has acne... I thought it would be nice for her if we did her eyebrows, and got a mani/pedi for fun ...

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
vintage, curious why you prefer threading over waxing?

it's cheaper, I feel they do a better job on strays. but more so, I seem to be walking by more threading places than waxing ones, so that's what I see available.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
she's 11 years old, and her eyebrows are very "wild" she is very self conscious, and has acne... I thought it would be nice for her if we did her eyebrows, and got a mani/pedi for fun ...

this is so exceptionally kind, what a lovely idea.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 2:09 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
amother wrote:

thank you, I actually was still unsure if what I wanted to do was in her best interest - what if she really is in pain? am I causing her pain just for her to look nicer? but on the other hand, I feel like this might help her self confidence... so I figured if I did it with the mani pedi it might not "hurt" her as much...

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
amother wrote:

thank you, I actually was still unsure if what I wanted to do was in her best interest - what if she really is in pain? am I causing her pain just for her to look nicer? but on the other hand, I feel like this might help her self confidence... so I figured if I did it with the mani pedi it might not "hurt" her as much...

as a woman who was once a 12-year-old with acne and frizzy hair, who had a mom who didn't put the effort into this, it's so kind it gets me teary. I look at back picture of myself, most of which I've destroyed, and think "what was she thinking???"

waxing hurts less, but I think she'll be thrilled that you are doing this for her.

IRock

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 5:03 pm
IME waxing is definitely less painful. My eyes teared up like crazy while sitting through threading. The one downside I found was that waxing left my skin very red and itchy, which threading did not.

Mom23gs

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 5:22 pm
My 11 year old gets both her lower legs and eyebrows waxed every 6 weeks or so. She has no problems at all, and begs me to make the appt when I forget.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 5:31 pm
Mom23gs wrote:
My 11 year old gets both her lower legs and eyebrows waxed every 6 weeks or so. She has no problems at all, and begs me to make the appt when I forget.

She could shave her legs, with an electric razor. It's a lot cheaper and certainly more convenient.

esther09

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:

Just as an FYI - at this point I prefer threading because it is more precise and seems better for your skin (but that's my arbitrary judgment of the situation, not factual Very Happy )

BUT, as I bolded - the reason I stopped waxing as a teen and started threading is because I was told that you shouldn't wax if you're using certain acne skin creams (I think it was retinol but definitely double check this) or even certain acne oral medications. I was told they can make your whole face very sensitive and it can rip too much skin and that threading would be better. I'm glad I made the jump, though!

Mom23gs

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 5:52 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Mom23gs wrote:

She could shave her legs, with an electric razor. It's a lot cheaper and certainly more convenient.

I know, she has tried, but it usually ends up with cuts and blood, and she is more comfortable with waxing. This is a kid who still can't do her own hair. It seems to help her self esteem, so I am happy to take her if she wants to go.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:

I think you're doing the right thing. I was always self concious about my upper lip hairs and wish in retrospect that my mother would have taken me...I didn't know about waxing back then!

I also wish she would have thought to take me to a dermatologist. My acne was within the norm, but I bet I could have used more than an OTC facewash and cream. Def taking my DD for a consult with one when she hits that stage.

It's awkward enough stairting getting your period and growing boobs, why not smooth theway with all those other things..

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 6:43 pm
You sound like a wonderful mom Very Happy

Remember that once she starts taking care of her eyebrows she may want to keep it up so be prepared for that added expense. (I know its not a lot of money but if someone is on a shoestring budget all those $10s add up fast)
Also if you dont plan on giving her the mani/pedi each time make sure she knows that that is just a one time treat so she wont keep asking for it

b from nj

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 6:48 pm
I am a big fan of threading b/c waxing was always bad for my sensitive skin & caused me to have allergic reactions. Threading is great & is a cleaner look.

alef12

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 6:49 pm
Am I the only one who is saddened by this whole discussion. Why are we making our children grow up before their time :-(

Am I the only one who is happy to have her 11 year old get to be a child and yes still look like one. This thread brings to mind the whole child pageant scene (which disgusts me)

My 11 year old daughter rides her bike, does craft projects, plays with her friends etc.. like a normal young girl. She dresses in pretty but age appropriate clothing and grooms herself appropriately for a child of her age. She'll be a young woman one day soon enough, why rush it?

I'm not anonymous, and you can hate me if you like. Let the rotten tomatoes fly.

b from nj

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 7:41 pm
I think it's very easy for others to judge what strangers feel they need to do for their children's benefit. Clearly the OP knows her child & if she feels that the eyebrow situation is severe enough to warrant threading/waxing b/c it interferes with the child's self-perception, then who are we to question her motives?

amother

Post Sat, Jun 29 2013, 7:45 am
alef12 wrote:
Am I the only one who is saddened by this whole discussion. Why are we making our children grow up before their time :-(

Am I the only one who is happy to have her 11 year old get to be a child and yes still look like one. This thread brings to mind the whole child pageant scene (which disgusts me)

My 11 year old daughter rides her bike, does craft projects, plays with her friends etc.. like a normal young girl. She dresses in pretty but age appropriate clothing and grooms herself appropriately for a child of her age. She'll be a young woman one day soon enough, why rush it?

I'm not anonymous, and you can hate me if you like. Let the rotten tomatoes fly.

By the time I was 11, I had big bushy eyebrows with hair in between, and lots of dark hair on my upper lip. It was very embarrassing to me and it affected my self esteem. My mother never did anything about it and I was too sheltered to know how to take care of it myself. When I was 14, someone took me to a salon to get me waxed. I was so grateful and it boosted my confidence. I look back at pictures from when I was 11-14 and I cringe. The facial hair was so noticeable and really needed to be dealt with. I wish my mother took care of it. I remember being so ashamed I couldn't make eye contact sometimes. The hair was obvious to anyone I met. I'm assuming your 11 year old doesn't have this kind of facial hair for you to have such surprise over an 11 year old needing a waxing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children