Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Atkins success?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 8:16 am
I am trying to do atkins 1. to lose weight and 2. for health (prevent diabetes). The problem I am having is that because stage 1 is so limiting I can't find enough "allowed" calories to eat so I get hungry and cheat.
My menu:

breakfast
1 whole egg +3 egg whites-150 cal
snack
cheddar cheese stick-60 calories
lunch
tuna with peppers-150 cal
snacks
lite mozzarella stick-60 cal
2nd cheddar cheese stick-60 cal
2 soy links-80 cals
dinner
3 oz white meat turkey burger- around 250 cal

In all 810 calories which is why I'm hungry, but I can't figure out what else to eat.
Any help and success stories would be greatly appreciated.

SS6099

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 8:24 am
First of all, you should increase your protein amounts per meal since you're not eating carbs to fill in there. If course you're hungry!
Second, why don't you eat low carb veggies such as zucchini or kirbies as fillers?
Lots of luck Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 9:26 am
OP here-Forgot to write I have tomatoes with dinner. Not sure if maybe it's only the sugar/carb cravings talking and I'm not really hungry.

reportrmom

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 9:42 am
Why are you doing egg whites and light cheese? Did u read the book? Make three fried eggs for breakfast. With butter. Promise you won't be hungry. And eat a lot lot lot more veggies. Cooked and raw. Please read the book. Phase one allows a lot of fat which is filling and helps with cravings. And I believe the goal is something like at least five cups of veggies a day. It's been a while since I read it but you really can't do it off the.top of your head. Hatzlacha.

chani8

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 9:46 am
http://www.atkins.com/Program/......aspx

You really do need to monitor your calories on the Atkins. Do you know how many you can eat for your height/weight? (It's really helpful to log your calories on myfitnesspal.com)

I would suggest adding some cheese and another egg to your breakfast.

Add more veggies. You do know that you subtract the fiber from the carb in a food?

Increase veggies for a few reasons. One, the calories, and two, the liquid content, and three, the fiber.

And whatever you do, make sure to drink a lot of water, or else you will certianly end up constipated.

Add some zucchini to your turkey. Eat a cucumber with your tuna.

Cottage cheese is a great snack, and on a low carb diet, you need the sodium, so it's a good choice.

When you get to stage 2, it will get much easier, with the addition of nuts and yogurt. 20 almonds a day, gives a great boost in calories.

IMO, get to stage two within the month. We did stage 1 for just a few weeks. It was enough.

chani8

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 9:58 am
Oh, what helped me a lot, was turning everything into soups. I know that might be hard in the summer, but if you're in A/C, it wont be so bad. I made ground meat soup with a ton of veggies and lots of seasonings (chili powder!).

That broth helps with calories, feeling full, hydration, and cutting down the grease.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 10:29 am
Do the eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
(Should I say it again?) Smile
You'll feel full, energized and you'll lose the weight. it's a lot healthier than Atkins.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
Do the eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
You'll feel full, energized and you'll lose the weight. it's a lot healthier than Atkins.

Looks like a good healthy diet (similar to the paleo diet, no?) but I have to be off carbs.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 11:16 am
chani8 wrote:
http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

You really do need to monitor your calories on the Atkins. Do you know how many you can eat for your height/weight? (It's really helpful to log your calories on myfitnesspal.com)

Add more veggies. You do know that you subtract the fiber from the carb in a food?

Increase veggies for a few reasons. One, the calories, and two, the liquid content, and three, the fiber.

And whatever you do, make sure to drink a lot of water, or else you will certianly end up constipated.

Cottage cheese is a great snack, and on a low carb diet, you need the sodium, so it's a good choice.

When you get to stage 2, it will get much easier, with the addition of nuts and yogurt. 20 almonds a day, gives a great boost in calories.

IMO, get to stage two within the month. We did stage 1 for just a few weeks. It was enough.

I am planning to do stage 1 for only 2 weeks. I will up my veggies but that's not going to bring my calories up to 1200. Is it a big deal if I go under my calories for 2 weeks? Should I eat nuts to help bring up the calories?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 11:16 am
chani8 wrote:
http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

I am planning to do stage 1 for only 2 weeks. I will up my veggies but that's not going to bring my calories up to 1200. Is it a big deal if I go under my calories for 2 weeks? Should I eat nuts to help bring up the calories?

chani8

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 11:25 am
Honestly, I think bringing up your calories is important. Taking the 20 almonds a day, or whatever your calorie intake allows, is perfect.

Just so you have a perspective, I did atkins stage 1, but DH never went that low. He started on phase 3, and lost a lot, and cured his diabetes. So imo, adding nuts is fine (great, actually).

It's more important to feel good, not weak or lethargic or hungry.

You may feel a little dry mouth anyway, but that's a sign that you need more fluids.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Do the eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.

Looks like a good healthy diet (similar to the paleo diet, no?) but I have to be off carbs.

You have to be off carbs for a health reason? Or to lose weight?

It's not the bodies natural mode to have no carbs. The right carbs (whole grains, vegetables), in MODERATION, is the healthiest balance.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Do the eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.
Eat clean diet.

You have to be off carbs for a health reason? Or to lose weight?

It's not the bodies natural mode to have no carbs. The right carbs (whole grains, vegetables), in MODERATION, is the healthiest balance.

Unfortunately, I was told not to eat carbs for my health.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 2:03 pm
I'm on Atkins now, Stage 1 and am not going hungry. OP did you read the book? Based on what you wrote, it doesn't seem that you didn't. You should be eating healthy fats with each meal and with your snacks. And at least 12-15 grams of net carbs daily should come from foundation vegetables.

You mentioned that you are avoiding carbs for health reasons - does that mean no carbs from vegetables?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 5:53 pm
wifenmother wrote:
I'm on Atkins now, Stage 1 and am not going hungry. OP did you read the book? Based on what you wrote, it doesn't seem that you didn't. You should be eating healthy fats with each meal and with your snacks. And at least 12-15 grams of net carbs daily should come from foundation vegetables.

You mentioned that you are avoiding carbs for health reasons - does that mean no carbs from vegetables?

OP here- You are right, I did not read the book. I got the information off the atkins website. I am allowed to eat veggies which I do. I am supposed to have my pancreas rest and not produce insulin. Am I doing atkins wrong?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
wifenmother wrote:

OP here- You are right, I did not read the book. I got the information off the atkins website. I am allowed to eat veggies which I do. I am supposed to have my pancreas rest and not produce insulin. Am I doing atkins wrong?

I'm on atkins now and I'm telling you -you need to read the book! based on your posts you are not doing it correctly. on atkins you need a large percentage of your diet to be FAT. yes FAT, the more fat you eat, the more fat you burn. (only if you are eating low carb.) you should NOt be counting calories, just carbs. and stay under twenty for 2 wks minimum. no nuts, no cottage cheese very little tomato. your diet should be:
eggs
cream
cheese-one carb per oz.
mayonaise
fish
meat
chicken
tons of olive oil and butter
3 cups low carb veggies
flax meal or psylium husks for fiber
tonz and tonz of water
that's it!

wifenmother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 9:55 am
Agree with the previous amother.

OP, Atkins is for you if you are supposed to be off carbs. However, off carbs to most people equals: no flour and sugar. They don't realize that vegetables have carbs too. On Atkins, you should be eating 12-15 grams of net carbs from vegetables daily.

The book is of utmost importance. I also tried Atkins this past winter based on info on the site. It did not work. I picked up the book at the local library and am doing Atkins right this time. Read the book, and Atkins will work for you too.

And as the previous amother noted: Eat healthy fats to keep you feeling full. And count carbs, not calories. On Atkins you only count calories if you are concerned that you aren't eating enough.

Good luck!

chani8

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 10:01 am
I also agree that the web site doesn't give enough clarity. The book helps a lot. I also read a book on Diet for Type 1 Diabetes, which helped to get clarity as well.

Counting calories is important for weight loss. You don't want to eat too little or too much. Once you get the hang of dieting, like maybe in a year, you'll not need to count so meticulously. So for now you may want to count both carbs and calories. MyFitnessPal.com can help with that.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 5:19 pm
wifenmother wrote:
Agree with the previous amother.

OP, Atkins is for you if you are supposed to be off carbs. However, off carbs to most people equals: no flour and sugar. They don't realize that vegetables have carbs too. On Atkins, you should be eating 12-15 grams of net carbs from vegetables daily.

The book is of utmost importance. I also tried Atkins this past winter based on info on the site. It did not work. I picked up the book at the local library and am doing Atkins right this time. Read the book, and Atkins will work for you too.

And as the previous amother noted: Eat healthy fats to keep you feeling full. And count carbs, not calories. On Atkins you only count calories if you are concerned that you aren't eating enough.

Good luck!

Would you mind telling me the name of the new book? There 3 to choose from. I want to pick it up ASAP because I NEED this to work.

I really appreciate everyone's help. So kind of you all.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 5:24 pm
chani8 wrote:
I also agree that the web site doesn't give enough clarity. The book helps a lot. I also read a book on Diet for Type 1 Diabetes, which helped to get clarity as well.

Counting calories is important for weight loss. You don't want to eat too little or too much. Once you get the hang of dieting, like maybe in a year, you'll not need to count so meticulously. So for now you may want to count both carbs and calories. MyFitnessPal.com can help with that.

I was trying myfitnesspal but it was telling me I went over in fat and still not eating enough calories. Also, I was eating a homemade turkey burger. The ground turkey was bought at the butcher so I have no idea how much calories or fat is in it. I'm not sure how to use myfinesspal if I'm on atkins.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise