Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
ElAl vs. Delta- best airline for a baby?

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:19 am
We will be flying TLV-NY with our 11 month old, which airline is bettEr? The tickets prices are the same for both these airlines. I can check also AA if its better. I heard each airline has different policies about what luggage you can bring for the baby etc.?
I think on Delta you can take a car seat AND a stroller but not sure?
Also ELAL says bassinets are only for up to 9 month's, is Delta the same?
We will be flying chagim time if that makes a difference. Is ELAL more crowded and thus less helpful then?
Any advice or experience will be very helpful, I've never flown with a baby before and am terrified!

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:26 am
El Al in general is extremely unhelpful. I never flew Delta so I can't comment on their service. AA has nice, helpful, friendly stewardesses. If you're willing to stop somewhere, I've had good experiences with babies on British Air and Alitalia as well.
Once on El Al I wanted to throw out my baby's wet (not smelly) diaper and the stewardess told me sorry, the garbage is not for diapers. Um, excuse me? So what am I supposed to do with it?
I think all airlines officially have rules that bassinet is only for up to 8 months but I've gotten a bassinet when my son was older than that on many airlines. When checking in, don't ask for a bassinet seat, just ask for a bulkhead seat. Once you're on the plane in the bulkhead, ask the stewardess for the bassinet. They won't ask how old your baby is once you're already sitting there, IME.
Good luck!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:36 am
Myself and family and friends all have only bad experiences on delta.
El al is more family and child friendly.

sped

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:53 am
I have flown on many airlines and find EL Al to be the most child friendly. They seem to really like kids and try to help as much as they can. They are overwhelmed sometimes by the amount, but you won't get nasty comments like - keep your (2 year old) in his seat - and they meant the whole time. Can't you control your son - who was simply running back and forth in the empty aisles without bothering anyone (believeme - that was a lot of control!).. They seem to understand that kids need to move, need to play, smile at them , etc.
I vastly prefer El Al with kids to any other airline.

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:11 am
Thanks everyone!
Shabbatiscoming- what were your bad experience on Delta?
We are booking early and paying extra to be able to fly direct, because I can't face a connection with a baby, so I'd really like the best experience possible
One plus for delta is I think if they have an empty seat they let you bring the car seat on board and use it, even if you haven't paid for it. Can anyone confirm this? Or at Pesach time will the plane be full anyway?
Our travel agent thinks Delta will be nicer to us with the baby at Pesach time, and Email will just be crowded and crazy

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:20 am
on ElAl you can only take I think about 10kilo for a baby whereas on Delta even an infant gets a regular suitcase of 20kilo.

ElAl has many many many more kids and families flying all the time so they are more used to it which also makes them not so caring.

I flew delta once and was really happy with them.
As long as your child is reserved as an infant (up to age 2) you can request a bassinet seat, meaning the bulkhead. But most bassinets do not fit kids over about 7-8 months.
British Airways have a seat like bassinet that fits up to age 14months.
You can reserve the bassinet area even if you don't plan on using the actual bassinet, it is still very useful to have the space for your child.

I also heard that in one of these customer service polls delta came out higher than several other airlines inc. elal.

sped

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:20 am
First, Pesach time, everyone is full. Second, El Al definitely tries to give you an empty seat near you, if one is available and you can use your car seat. I have a few times.

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:31 am
CC - are you sure delta gives you 20 kg for a baby? Their website says you're only allowed 10 kg.
And I can't figure out if you're allowed a stroller and a car seat or only one of the two..

tamara00

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 1:00 pm
El Al gives 10kg for an infant and you can take a stroller and a car seat. If they can they'll sometimes give you an empty seat and if it stays empty (ie if they haven't filled it by the time the flight is boarding), you can take the car seat on.

No such thing as asking for a bulkhead and thinking you'll just get a bassinet bc they charge for those seats now. The front ones are the premium economy seats ($150 IIRC) and the regular bulkheads are about $100 I think.

No idea about Delta but I've heard less-than-optimal reviews. Having said that, El Al isn't exactly making friends in recent times either...

Pandabeer

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 1:01 pm
I had horrible experience wit Delta! I would rather pay more then fly with them. Also they don't give you the stroller in the gate, saying its the new rule but I flew with different airlines and I did get them.
I can't tell you about El-Al as I never flew with them.
With a stop I can recommend air-france and KLM. Also Jetairways is fantastic with kids

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 3:46 pm
Tamara so how does anyone get a bassinet?

sped

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 3:48 pm
A bassinet is gotten when ordered in advance. If you order it then you get a bulkhead seat without paying extra.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 8:38 pm
sped wrote:
A bassinet is gotten when ordered in advance. If you order it then you get a bulkhead seat without paying extra.
IF you're lucky and/or have a really great travel agent. Most of the time you are not guaranteed a bassinette (even flying with a newborn). There are always more babies than bassinettes and it's first-come-first-served on check-in at the airport. For this reason I check in online as soon as possible (24 hours before the flight) to get my seat.

http://www.britishairways.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions