Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What do you think of this dress?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:24 pm
[url=http://www.dhgate.com/product/champagne-strapless-fashion-lace-ruffles/155010984.html?utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=yoyobridal&utm_term=155010984&f=bm|155010984|002009-SpecialOccasionDresses|GMC|Adwords|pla|yoyobridal|US|002009002-PromDresses|c|&gclid=CK6ZgKGPvLgCFdCY4AodXn4AdQ]what do you think of this dress?[/url]
I was thinking of cutting the long part to knee length (around the length, maybe a drop longer of the skirt I would wear underneath)
and then use that material to build shoulder straps???

Is it doable?
Is it pretty?
Any advice?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:26 pm
http://www.dhgate.com/product/.....;f=bm|155010984|002009-SpecialOccasionDresses|GMC|Adwords|pla|yoyobridal|US|002009002-PromDresses|c|&gclid=CK6ZgKGPvLgCFdCY4AodXn4AdQ

Woops. Heres the URL

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:26 pm
I was thinking of cutting the long part to knee length (around the length, maybe a drop longer of the skirt I would wear underneath)
and then use that material to build shoulder straps???

Is it doable?
Is it pretty?
Any advice?[/quote]

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:36 pm
Are you looking for an honest opinion?

I think its hideous.

And as ugly as it is, putting another dress underneath it will make it look even more ridiculous. You'll have dress 1 -- the underdress. Dress 2 -- the main dress. And dress 3, the overpiece. It makes you look like you're a 4 year-old playing dress up in mommy's clothes. Or that you really don't know how to dress.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:39 pm
The inner skirt is way above the knee... are you OK with this length?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:40 pm
Not every dress can be modified. This is an example of one that can't.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:47 pm
No I am not ok with a skirt that is short at all.
I was planning on wearing a skirt and a shell underneath
it would be a dress a couple of inches below my knee

does that change your opinion?
anyone else?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:51 pm
Not my taste....

I agree with MaBelleVie wrote; "It can't be modified"
If you shorten the long part you are ruining the entire affect.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:52 pm
Sad

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
No I am not ok with a skirt that is short at all.
I was planning on wearing a skirt and a shell underneath
it would be a dress a couple of inches below my knee

does that change your opinion?
anyone else?

No it doesn't.

Adding another skirt will make it look weird and distasteful IMO.

Monseymom2

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 3:54 pm
Looooove the dress!! Don't think its changeable tho

red sea

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 6:14 pm
Gorgeous dress that would look ridiculous modified for tznius. Better off sewing it from scratch in the right proportions. It would look like a bandaid or vest over a shell skirt and top. It would lose its beauty.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 5:02 pm
I love the dress, id print it out, take it to a seamstress (someone working from home, a mother/neighbour...) and ask her to sow a tzniut version of it, ie making a longer skrit, and a skin tone upper part...
I did it with my wedding gown. came out stunning and a very good price. I wouldnt experiment with an underdress/shell - would ruin the dress in my eyes.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 11:10 pm
Why skin tone top, amother?

Nice dress, but I can't imagine what a tznius version of it would look like.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 11:21 pm
Nice dress but a shell and skirt under would totally kill it. Please don't do it.

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 12:49 am
I like the dress, but I'm not sure how you would modify it. For the top, you could add shoulder straps and then wear a shell underneath, and for the bottom I'm not sure- but there must be a way to make it work without wearing a skirt underneath, cuz that wouldn't look nice.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 12:58 am
amother wrote:
I love the dress, id print it out, take it to a seamstress (someone working from home, a mother/neighbour...) and ask her to sow a tzniut version of it, ie making a longer skrit, and a skin tone upper part...
I did it with my wedding gown. came out stunning and a very good price. I wouldnt experiment with an underdress/shell - would ruin the dress in my eyes.

Agreed!
Since you'd be creating your own tzniut version of this dress from scratch anyway, just make the top part with sleeves instead of adding a skin-tone thingy to the top. That way it wouldn't look too "pieced-together." Instead, it would come out like one of those dresses with the long jacket parts on top, if you know what I'm talking about...

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 1:05 am
Ew.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 2:20 am
OP I agree with the other posters; This particular dress-style belongs the way it's shown in it's original version, without modifications.

No need to risk tackling with this when there are so many other elegant gorgeous dresses out there... seriously!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 8:29 am
Volunteer wrote:
amother wrote:

Agreed!
Since you'd be creating your own tzniut version of this dress from scratch anyway, just make the top part with sleeves instead of adding a skin-tone thingy to the top. That way it wouldn't look too "pieced-together." Instead, it would come out like one of those dresses with the long jacket parts on top, if you know what I'm talking about...

If you really like the gown and would like a kosher version, just add straps on top and make the material of the short skirt longer. Should look very pretty. A very nice contrast.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics