Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What am I doing wrong? (no clients)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:56 pm
I offer a service that would be of great value to many people.
It is priced reasonably and I made special introductory rates to try to make it even more appealing.
It is recognizable enough for people to be comfortable with, yet different enough to distinguish my service from others.
It is not geographically limited; I can provide this service in person, by phone, or by web, and offer different pricing plans for each.
I present well and explain my service clearly (based on feedback I've gotten from various people).
I know there is a need for what I do.
I know my advertising and word-of-mouth attempts worked at least somewhat because I got a number of inquiries by phone and email.
Yet not a single one actually became a client.

Help! How can I figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it? I do not have enough capital for serious business consulting/troubleshooting. I am a one-person operation here with not a single client to date - I.e. no revenue coming in at all.

So frustrated Sad

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:59 pm
What is it?

Sherri

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:59 pm
Well, what happens at the inquiries? What details are the inquiries about (service, price)?

fortunate123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:03 pm
Its hard to answer this kind of question when we don't know what type of service you provide. But especially in the service-based business arena, most of your clients will come because they trust you. And trust takes time to build. Try to read up on marketing strategies for your particular line of business and especially how to cultivate new customers without having any to start with. There are plenty of great free articles online and tons of books out there on this subject.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:17 pm
Yes, I know I'm being vague but I really don't want to put identifying info on here, in this context. It's kind of embarrassing!

I THOUGHT the inquiries went pretty well. I offer a free consultation to answer questions and see whether the client would be a good match. The prospective clients asked for details about what I do and pricing. I shared relevant information and asked some questions about their needs so I could tailor my response based on what they were looking for. Most of them indeed seemed to be good candidates. On the phone I got a couple of "OK, will think about it" but when I called back a few days later to follow up they seemed uninterested. Some of the phone callers were asking on behalf of others and said they would pass along the information, and I never heard from the people they passed it to - assuming they did. The email inquiries I answered and never got any further response, even after sending a few follow-up emails (about once a week; I don't want to spam anyone but I did send things like offers to chat and answer further questions, reminders that my introductory offer was expiring...) One of the phone customers who seemed very interested - asked for an appointment, but at the time she called I was unable to provide one on the spot and said I would call back later - never picked up the phone when I called to follow up and did not answer my voice mails embarrassed Ouch!

I don't have a global reputation but I do have trust locally because I formerly worked in a similar job in the same field, before attempting my own business which is similar but a step up from what I did before. People were very happy with my work in the previous job and I have a bit of a reputation beyond the people who used me personally. Plenty of references. No avail.

Not sure where to find all these articles about marketing strategies; I've seen a few strategies that everyone seems to be saying the same thing - no great chiddush that I haven't tried - and everyone else wants more money for their wisdom Rolling Eyes

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:24 pm
OP, I don't see how naming your service could identify you if you're posting anonymously.

If we knew what you were promoting we could be a lot more help.

Are you sure that what your offering is a true NEED? Is there the chance that it could be considered a luxury instead? Is your field saturated? Have you been to a professional to do a full market analysis?

Have you considered partnering with a different, but compatible seller to do joint promotions? (for example: weight loss / skin care, or jewelry / tichels.)

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:29 pm
It's no sort of confusing what Is it that you do....but I'll tell you what I think. My husband is in a private business for 3.5 years and is only no seeing real progress.The first 3 years was a major major struggle...and I mean major. POINT being be patient. Building your own clients takes effort and time and thick skin. BE very very patient...and don't give up

sunspot

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:31 pm
First of all,

1. If you have competitors within your field, that may be the best place to start. See what is working with them

2. Are you coming across as too needy? people get turned off when the business owner is too on top of them

3. have you created a pdf packet of information together with testimonials that can attest to your skill

4. Can you offer a free webinar with valuable information so that people can get to know you and your valuable serviced?

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:34 pm
Is the service you offer a luxury, or is it a necessity?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 10:35 pm
maybe you are charging too much if people called for info but did not call back when they heard the fees??? I also have my own business and it is not going well at all so I feel for you....

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:00 pm
Well, I'm trying to create a somewhat distinctive niche, so I hope it would be pretty identifiable!

It is not a luxury but it is a field where people have different options. They don't have to choose mine. However, I do have a slew of reasons why what I offer is a better investment than others. For some it is more of a necessity than others.

Along the same lines, the field in general is indeed saturated - which is one of the reasons why I chose to go a more specific route. My niche is not full yet. There are a couple of other businesses offering similar services, but they are all either more limited or significantly more expensive - or both. But they seem to be doing quite well, while I am... you know where I am. I spoke to people who had used my competitors in the past and used what they told me to figure out how I could improve on their experience and offer something better for the same or lower price. But the fish ain't biting.

I have not been to a market analyst. I don't have the budget for one, and it didn't seem so hard to figure out that I'm offering something that people need and want.

I would consider partnering but not sure how/where to find a partner, and because I'm just starting I was thinking it made more sense to start small. I guess if starting small is completely not working, then maybe I will need to do something more bold, but I'm really scared to do that. I don't have capital to invest and I'm worried that if I try something bigger I'll just have a bigger flop. Right now all I have is me sitting at home wondering why the phone stopped ringing so fast. A bit of a dud but not THAT terrible embarrassed

Amother with the 3-year-old business, thanks for the encouragement. If things don't pick up in considerably less than 3 years I will likely be in a very deep hole indeed Sad

In terms of charging too much, my service is a bit pricey but: 1) it is LESS expensive than other people offering similar services, 2) it is cost-effective for the benefit it provides, 3) I offered a number of pricing plans/incentives/special offers/discounts/referral bonuses/what-have-you's to try and hook a few customers just to get things rolling, which made it a real steal, but didn't help at all.

I do have some competitors. I'm not sure what's worked for them, why would they tell me if I'm their competition? But I do know what hasn't worked for them because I've spoken to former less-than-satisfied clients, and I made sure based on that to offer something better in those areas (e.g. a former customer of a competitor said they were unsatisfied with the customer service of the other guy, so I have been playing up the angle that I will give a great deal of personal attention to each client's individual needs. I also heard from many people that the competitor's price was a turn-off, so I offered some flexible pricing plans and promotions, even though my base price is not much different due to expenses)

PDF packet sounds like a good idea. I did create a couple of info sheets but maybe I could try to get some testimonials to add (how can I get testimonials if I don't have clients?!) and flesh out the information better.

I haven't offered a webinar but I do offer a free phone consultation that hasn't gotten me anywhere. Only a few people took me up on that offer, and while I felt that the conversations went pretty well, they didn't actually land me the clients. I don't know why!

I hope I'm not coming across too needy but that could be a possibility. Any more advice on what makes the difference between coming across as attentive vs. needy? I'm never sure how far to go. On one hand, I don't want the prospective client to just forget about their initial interest in me, but I also don't want to be a nudge with too much follow-up. Help?

curiousgeorge1

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:19 pm
Hard to say because you give so little information. but how do you know that all those things you write in your original post (for example that there is a real need, that the prices are fair, that you present it well, etc.) are really true? You are biased, you know. And ur fee may be fair for the amount of work u put in, but not beneficial enough to ur client to be worth the cost. Also, I don't want to sound mean and I don't know you so please don't take offense, but there may be something about your personality that is turning ppl off.

Also, how long ago have you started this business. If it has been a month, then I wouldn't worry, but if it has been a year then you are probably in the wrong business.

Also, you mention that several potential clients have contacted you. That doesn't sound like a lot to me, though maybe for the business you are in it is. In the business I am in (I work for someone) we would be considered very successful if we got business from 1 out of every 10 clients that contacted us. Perhaps you need to market/advertise better.

These thoughts are whatever ideas I could come up with based on the little you wrote so I apologize if I am way off base.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:21 pm
You stop coming across as being needy, by not being needy. You talk about being scared to go big, and clients can smell that a mile away. Even if you can't afford to go big right now, you must start to THINK big, and project confidence.

Let me give you an example: I sell jewelry. My sales had been very slow, and if people asked me how things were going I would say so. One day, I decided to lie. A friend asked me how sales were, and I said "Great!" That piqued his interest, and he asked to see my inventory. He bought a very expensive set of cufflinks for himself, and some earrings for his wife. His wife loved the earrings so much that she's bought several more pairs from me over the years, as well as bringing me all of her jewelry repairs. I fix the jewelry at a nominal cost, and while she's waiting she browses around and always ends up buying something else. Whenever she needs a gift, or something custom made to match a new outfit, she comes to me first. All because I changed one tiny thing about the way I presented myself!

You mention others in your field, with less than satisfied clients. That alone isn't enough. What is it about your service that will make people want to move out of their comfort zone and switch? People who are only mildly annoyed won't always want to change providers, even if there is a slight price benefit. It has to be something DRAMATIC and very unusual to get people motivated. Everyone is ultra-conservative with their money right now, so they'll be more inclined to stick with a service that is at least a known entity, before they'll go with someone new.

Promotions are a big deal. Work your social media and make it your slave! YouTube videos where you explain your product as if you were giving a presentation can go a long way. They are very high on search engines. A blog featuring one of your services, once a week, will also drive traffic. These are time consuming, but their free.

Write press releases about your service, as if you were a hot news story. Submit them to every small paper you can, and hope that your story gets picked up by a bigger paper.

For inspiration, read this, all of it: http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com Then you'll start to see what it takes to think like a visionary!

sunspot

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:32 pm
FF I love your points.

bottom line is you need to think like you are successful already. The money you invest in speaking to an outsider about your business will be the best money spent, because they will look at it objectively. I know form my own experience it is hard to be objective about your baby :)

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:33 pm
It really depends on what you are offering.

For example, I'd probably never pay one of those personal coaches. And if I did, it would be because the person came so highly recommend, that person has something unique that no one else has. I'd pay double and triple for that one recommended person, and not for someone who offered me a free consultation. With a psychologist, who has clear qualifications and training, people might go for the person with lower rates. Coaching is so not-specific that it's really based solely on personality, reputation, and being fantastically good at what you do. A mediocre psychologist with years of training can find a job. Not sure about one of these made-up coach things.

I'd probably never pay a dime for a beauty consultation, but if I did it would again only be worthwhile with the best reputation. For me. But I'd go to a cheaper person for a bikini wax, because unless they were terrible the difference isn't so big, and I'd still be waxed at the end of the day.

SO what kind of service are you offering? If it's something that has an unclear value, like coaching, that can't be easily assessed (unlike a bikini wax -is my bikini waxed now or not? that personal trainer spent 3 hours with me, etc.) and where your brand/credentials don't speak for themselves (this psychologist has a PhD from a good university) - you are in a tough spot.

If you need to build a reputation it may be worthwhile to offer your services entirely for free. Or the change your marketing so that you are not cheaper than your competitors. It's difficult to know.
And what about groupon?

But it's tough to give advice without more details, because different services are entirely different. But if this is a coaching thing, I think that's really tough. Because I wouldn't pay for that.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:41 pm
My first business, I was successful at the beginning because I was giving something away for free--- something people really wanted. ONCE I had them in the door for the freebie (which cost me an hour of time and a few bucks, they spent between $75 and $300 per person at their first appointment, provided referrals, and reordered again and again. How can you get their feet in the door for what you're providing? Great information? Freebies? A huge sale? Once I was doing $500+ per week from that business part time I was willing to spend a bit of money from time to time on marketing--- but at the beginning I decided to rely solely on free methods.

When I started my second business, I did it ONLY to promote my first business, figuring if I made money, great, and if not, at least I'd break even. My first people in that second business were people who'd seen my success with my first business and wanted to be on board with me and see what was happening with the new venture. It was the know/like/trust factor there and once I started to have success more people wanted to jump on board.

I go outside the box with marketing. Surveys, promotions in local businesses, webinars, Blogging. Squeeze pages. Social media (linkedin, twitter, facebook). Daily content on all platforms. I've done a bit with pinterest and youtube too.

I now have two more businesses too--- technically I have four businesses---- I've got the marketing down to a SCIENCE where I spend two hours once a week doing blog posts and scheduling social media content and working on emails--- that leaves time the other days of the week for the income producing activities of selling my product, building my teams, and working for my clients in my newest venture. I don't spend too much time on marketing--- I let the snowball effect take place, rely on the know/like trust factor, and at the beginning, relied on give-aways.

I hope some of that was somewhat helpful.

curiousgeorge1

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:42 pm
Ok now that I read OP's last post I have more to say. You say that you worked in a similar business and had satisfied clients, so maybe you can get testimonials from them. Your problem might simply be that prospective clients realize that they will be your first and don't have any way of knowing if you will do the job well. They may be impressed by you and tempted by the better price, but at the end of the day, they don't want to risk losing all of the money that they spend if you don't deliver. You are promising better customer service than your competitors? Sounds great but what exactly does that mean and how do they know you will follow through?

I don't know if this is an option but maybe you can take on a few clients for the "at cost " price where you don't lose money from them but make nothing for your time just to build a reputation and get some testimonials. Maybe you can have a free trial period. Again, I don't know what business you are in so I don't know if these ideas makes sense. But you do need a way of convincing clients with something more than words that you will follow through with what you are promising.

aniri

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:47 pm
Hello. I started my business about 7 years ago. It's really tough in the begging. I took jobs and did them at cost with no profit and often lost money on some. I tried my make my business as different as possible from the same business. I work on average 14-16 hours a day. If my potential clients went with someone else I always asked them what was the reason what can I improve . I learned even if you offer a better price that is not the reason why client may choose you. If you don't know your product and business 100% it may be a big turn off. If client asks you a question and don't feel confidence in your voice they can feel it. With gods help and real hard work I now don't take jobs lower $50,000 and booked for next 4 months. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. It would really help if you can give us at least a general idea what kind of business you are in. Gook luck!!!

Last edited by aniri on Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PrincessGirl

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:51 pm
Is the business you are referring to a pyramid sytle like Mary Kay. From everything you are describing it sounds very much that way. Just now that is hard and t takes time. So many people will turn you down but hopefully if you learn to ask the right way you can be successful.

I know for myself I am one of those who have been approached many times for such businesses and I am not interested as I ado not like going around to everyone I know asking...but there are plenty of people who would. You need to hit the right targets and ask in a very smart way...very pressure free etc....

Just throwing in my 2Cents...

I know plenty of successful people in this field...if I am even on target!!! It can be done!!

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 11:53 pm
Just read the redpaperclip blog. Thanks so much for posting! Was actually VERY inspirational in its own creative-cooky sort of way! And so fun to read!

Thanks for sharing!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics