Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm afraid his gangster friends are going to kill me
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 8:42 am
I am the bookkeeper of a small business.

I found an employee stealing and reported it to the boss.

The employee will definitely know its me even if the boss doesn't mention my name.

I'm not worried if the guy gets in trouble or goes on probation at work or something. I am only concerned that if he gets fired he might come after me.

To put it mildly, he runs with a very rough crowd and even though he is a nice guy I know he has gangster connections. Not that he is in a gang but I am sure a cousin, friend, uncle must be. (I am not being a stupid racist here. I have real reason to believe this is true even if I cant prove gang connections on paper)

I am afraid that if he loses his job he might snap.

Should I not have said anything even though that is part of what my boss relies on me to do?

nyer1

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 8:47 am
If he is really in a gang, Ir knows people who are , I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't worry...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 8:50 am
I am sure they do but it would not be too difficult to make a short stop on the way...these things really do happen.

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 8:54 am
Can you ask your boss not to fire him but take other precautionary steps?

self-actualization

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:03 am
I think that in the vast, vast majority of cases where an employee is fired for stealing at work, the employee just accepts it and moves on. A family member of mine works at CVS and has seen employees fired for either stealing from the regular store, stealing from the cash register, or stealing meds, and nobody has ever come back to kill anyone ... as a matter of fact, you would read about something like this in the news, but I have only heard of one story from 15 years ago in the real estate world and then the one that took place near the Empire State building last year. So the odds are heavily on your side.

Additionally, as a bookkeeper, you have a duty to report employee theft. I would be pretty upset if I had a bookkeeper that wasn't watching out for my business because she had personal interests that conflicted with the fiscal health of my business.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:06 am
IMHopinion wrote:

not really. this is not the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time he was caught doing something wrong at work.

I just wish it didn't have to be me who reported this. I don't get paid enough to be worth the risk.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:08 am
self-actualization wrote:
I think that in the vast, vast majority of cases where an employee is fired for stealing at work, the employee just accepts it and moves on. A family member of mine works at CVS and has seen employees fired for either stealing from the regular store, stealing from the cash register, or stealing meds, and nobody has ever come back to kill anyone ... as a matter of fact, you would read about something like this in the news, but I have only heard of one story from 15 years ago in the real estate world and then the one that took place near the Empire State building last year. So the odds are heavily on your side.

Additionally, as a bookkeeper, you have a duty to report employee theft. I would be pretty upset if I had a bookkeeper that wasn't watching out for my business because she had personal interests that conflicted with the fiscal health of my business.

This is helpful. I sure hope you are right.

I just had to laugh at the last line. My physical health will always come before the business.

Anyone who knows this guy and who his friends are would agree he is scary.

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:13 am
No offense, but you're just the nobody bookkeeper. He's going to be more worried about getting arrested. He's not thinking about how he got caught, just what will happen NOW that he got caught.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:34 am
chani8 wrote:
No offense, but you're just the nobody bookkeeper. He's going to be more worried about getting arrested. He's not thinking about how he got caught, just what will happen NOW that he got caught.

I really wish that were the case. Problem is that in small businesses the lines get blurred very often and nobodies like me end up in authority positions that we never wanted in the first place. I am sure he will be angry at the person who ratted him out.

He wont get arrested. My boss is not going to report or press charges. The worst he will do is fire him.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
IMHopinion wrote:

not really. this is not the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time he was caught doing something wrong at work.

I just wish it didn't have to be me who reported this. I don't get paid enough to be worth the risk.

Assuming that the people who noticed or reported the other incidents are still amongst the living, with knee caps in working order, it would not appear that you have much to worry about.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
IMHopinion wrote:

Assuming that the people who noticed or reported the other incidents are still amongst the living, with knee caps in working order, it would not appear that you have much to worry about.

I am always the reporter. The only other person who ever caught him doing something wrong was the boss himself. I am such a goner.....

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:45 am
go to the police

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 10:51 am
& it's quite possible ... there's a fine line between sanity & going completely MAD

don't you read the news ?! Feeling beat up Shooting Arrow

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
go to the police

This may not be such a bad idea, even as a precaution. Get something in writing just in case something CH"V happens. I don't think that's so paranoid.

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
go to the police

Now that's a really good way to get broken knee caps. You think the police are going to protect you? How??

Just lay low, OP, and know that you did the right thing. He was wrong. He's a thief.

If he was caught more than once, why in the world didn't he get fired already???

oatmealcookies

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
IMHopinion wrote:

I can relate on some level. I am a controller in a company and there was an issue with an employee (newark type, I am not a racist just trying to explain). I was scared she was going to come down to my office and addressed my boss, he said dont worry you keep the door locked. Lo and behold she came down with 2+ possies, let me tell you, my heart was racing I was so scared. I called dh, but he wasnt in town, he called a bunch of people to see who was around to "protect" me. In the end I just walked out of my office, locked the door and walked away before they had a chance to confront me. I know its not exactly the same but looking back I think I was overly scared but who knows what these people could do??? (and if they have guns on them).

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 4:56 pm
I wouldn't worry. If its a small amt , it's not worth the trouble.
If we are talking a large amount like 100k or more they would probably send someone to [attack] you

[edited. -merelyme, as mod]

b from nj

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't worry. If its a small amt , it's not worth the trouble.
If we are talking a large amount like 100k or more they would probably send someone to [attack] you

[edited. -merelyme, as mod]

Wow, what a comforting thought for the OP Exploding anger !!!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 5:08 pm
BNJ...
Relax I doubt we are talking about that much $
Maybe I just watch too many movies

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 5:08 pm
let me know if you need to hire mafiosa Cool
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics