Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
No car kids home going crazy

amother

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 6:49 am
I live in Israel and am so so bored each day with the kids.
In general I don't do well with ppl in my space.
My adhd kid is making me feel lousy. She constantly tells me how terrible I am.
What can we do that is fun and won't involve me too much.
I am usually good by taking trips but the long bus rides, transfers and heat
make it too difficult. I miss having a car.

wispalover

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 7:00 am
Hugs. I totally feel your pain. No ADHD child telling me how terrible I am but the lack of car is really, really, really getting to me as well Sad

Liba

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 7:31 am
We have a car, but we don't all fit in it. It certainly is cramping my vacation planning. We have a teenage guests for the month whom I would love to show the country, but...

Hatzlacha figuring it out!!

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 7:46 am
Do you have a mirpeset? We're doing a pyjama party tomorrow...pyjamas, mattresses, a mini-tent. In the living room.

wispalover

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 2:34 am
Marion-- can you please tel me more abt pyjama party? What exactly do you do out there? Games? Food? Sing?

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 3:05 am
Honestly? We put the spare mattresses down and the kiddie tent on top. They're in their PJs and they're hanging out. It's just more fun "camping" and in "pyjamas". We moved the tent onto the floor and they were allowed to eat lunch in there too.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 3:13 am
How old is your child? Old enough to go outside and play? Don't you have neighbors with kids? What do their kids so all summer? They should be playing together!

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 4:18 am
Most of my neighbours send to camp for the first session and take vacation the rest of the time. One neighbour is moving today; another is moving Sunday.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 4:30 am
This might be hard for you but sensory activities and messy play are great for kids in cramped spaces.

Make your own bubble solution and find interesting things around the house to use for blowing bubbles: wire hangers, straws, pipe cleaners...

Goop, edible play dough (you can find recipes for both online), water play with a basin, some toy dishes and different kinds of sponges and brushes; make a water wall by attaching empty water bottles with holes cut out to your mirpeset bars such that water will flow down from one to the other... Google it. The possibilities are really endless. You will have a mess, yes, but you will have happy and constructively occupied kids. And a mess can always be cleaned up.

Do try to get them out of the house either early in the morning or later in the afternoon/evening to run and play it out.

ETA: Crafts and projects made from stuff you have around the house (egg cartons, empty cardboard boxes, paper towel rolls...). Just let 'em loose.

hop613

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 6:22 am
Being stuck in the house is really really hard.

Do you have any friends around who you can take the kids to, or have them come over? A change of scenery often helps things a lot.

I'm not in Israel, but is it possible to set up some sort of kiddie pool? Usually they are pretty good about entertaining themselves, but you do need to keep a close watch.

You can also pack a picnic lunch and walk to different picnic spots...nothing far or fancy, just somewhere different.

mommygirl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 12:26 pm
Hi OP - I am so sorry - it is really hot right now to be stuck at home.
what works so nicely for us is a schedule. Write / print a big calendar on the door and everyday have one or two activities that kids can look forward to.
Example:
I made my two oldest each have a night to make dinner - okay, I helped majorly but they planned, and then set the table nicely, I let them choose nice napkins etc..
One day, is going to the park in the afternoon with a picnic
Next day, is buying a slush (2 sh!) and going to a different park.
Then: making and decorating cookies

stick some nice outings that you do have to shlep on a bus, once a week.
You should find the sense of order so nice, you know every day what is going to be the main focus.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 5:40 am
These replies are great. Just the fact that you responded made me feel better.
The ideas are good. I tried to do a few and itwasn't too bad.
What makes you respond. I have no energy to help anyone out less a
stranger on the internet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions