Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Appro response to former client asking for files

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:53 am
this is an issue from time to time and I'd like to know the right way to respond.

a couple of years ago I did some graphic design work for a client in the community. I did a few jobs.
since then she stopped coming to me for work but every now and then she asks me for a file that she should already have because I would have sent it to her.

Now this happens with a LOT of clients old and current. I'm sort of used as their "storage" computer because they don't know where they kept or how to find a file.
when it's a paying customer I don't mind and I will repeatedly send (sometimes the same) file over and over again. However this client hasn't come to me for work in years and is clearly going elsewhere.

tell me if this response is appropriate or not

"Dear____
While I am always happy to accommodate my clients you have not been my client for years now, yet you are still asking me from time to time for files you should already have. After all the only way I have that particular artwork is because you sent it to me in the first place. I'm sorry but I'm not a bank or storage system. Digging up that file will require me accessing a back up drive which I have stored away. Even if it was on my current computer I think it's inappropriate to constantly ask me for files you should have when you aren't even a paying customer anymore.
I'm sorry but I have other obligations and work to do and I can't keep accommodating these requests. If you have a paying job you would like me to do then I will be happy to assist you"

is it too harsh? I think it is maybe, can someone help me say it nicer?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:53 am
I said a couple of years ago but now that I think of it, it's more like several years that I did work for her

kb

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 3:30 am
I once saw a photographer's website that said that they're happy to provide prints of pictures, but that after x amount of time the files are moved into storage, and from that time they will charge a fee to retrieve the file from storage.

In my opinion, that makes sense. If you have the file on your computer and it's easy to send in a email, it's one thing. But if it's in storage it's something else.

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 3:39 am
Dear ________________,

The file you are requesting was sent to you as part of your service package at the time you were a client/customer.

Should you require a backup copy of the work we did, we are happy to provide it. The current fee for the service you are requesting (technical/backup assistance) is $xyz.

Please advise if you wish us to proceed.

Sincerely,
ABC

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:10 am
Marion wrote:
Dear ________________,

The file you are requesting was sent to you as part of your service package at the time you were a client/customer.

Should you require a backup copy of the work we did, we are happy to provide it. The current fee for the service you are requesting (technical/backup assistance) is $xyz.

Sincerely,
ABC

great thanks, I would modify it to add that the files are in archive.
just one issue I need to sort out is that this particular file is not work that I did but it's an image that was sent to me to use in the work I did.
either way I'm not their storage system and they should have the file and not use me to bring it up again but how do I word that appropriately?

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:14 am
"Files that are not original work are not stored beyond x years. Unfortunately that means we are unable to assist you."

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:18 am
I think there is no right way to write that you are not their 'storage system' - keep it to yourself as annoyed as you are Wink Better to keep it polite and distant.

Also if you didn't warn them about this, you might want to say that you've started charging for sending old files (like what Marion wrote - that's great), but you'll give them one chance toask for anything else they need. That way they won't feel snubbed or annoyed that suddenly there is a big fee to pay and you didn't warn them.

Out of curiosity, you don't send out your original photoshop/indesign etc. files do you?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:53 am
so how much do you think I should charge?
I'm thinking a fee to access their folder from storage or alternatively a fee to create a disk for them with all their files for a larger fee for them to keep secure for future use.
Riff wrote:
Out of curiosity, you don't send out your original photoshop/indesign etc. files do you?

No, absolutely not!

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 5:20 am
Riff wrote:
I think there is no right way to write that you are not their 'storage system' - keep it to yourself as annoyed as you are Wink Better to keep it polite and distant.

Also if you didn't warn them about this, you might want to say that you've started charging for sending old files (like what Marion wrote - that's great), but you'll give them one chance toask for anything else they need. That way they won't feel snubbed or annoyed that suddenly there is a big fee to pay and you didn't warn them.

If OP does that, she'll be opening herself up to a lot of unpaid work searching for old files. In her place, I wouldn't do it.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 5:34 am
I'm glad I posted asking about this. I needed to know I wasn't being nasty or difficult and there was a basis to the way I felt.
Thanks ladies for confirming how I felt.

can anyone give me an idea of what to charge? I would word it that the fee is for retrieving archived files, not the files themselves because a lot of times just like this time I'm being asked for files the clients had sent me but for some reason no longer have.

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:13 am
A. Archive retrieval fee: $20.
B. Time spent (whatever your hourly fee is, times however long it actually takes you).

Total fee: A+B

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:16 am
sarahd wrote:
Riff wrote:

If OP does that, she'll be opening herself up to a lot of unpaid work searching for old files. In her place, I wouldn't do it.

Maybe I'm a pushover Wink

Most companies give warning or write in their terms and conditions if they are introducing specific fees. I've heard too many complaints about people who have been charged things that they weren't told about beforehand.

If you had been getting old files off a designer and she mentioned nothing of charges, even if she should have been charging, wouldn't you be upset if she one day turned round and said 'actually, now I'm charging you $$ for this'? If I was her, I would be a lot more careful about keeping hold of the files if I knew there would be fees for any further requests. Unpaid work in the meantime, good customer relations and no more unpaid work in the future!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:28 am
amother wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Riff wrote:

Most companies give warning or write in their terms and conditions if they are introducing specific fees. I've heard too many complaints about people who have been charged things that they weren't told about beforehand.

If you had been getting old files off a designer and she mentioned nothing of charges, even if she should have been charging, wouldn't you be upset if she one day turned round and said 'actually, now I'm charging you $$ for this'? If I was her, I would be a lot more careful about keeping hold of the files if I knew there would be fees for any further requests. Unpaid work in the meantime, good customer relations and no more unpaid work in the future!

exceot that she is no longer my client and hasn't been for several years, the job was done and supplied and finished with. no customer relations because she isn't giving me her custom anymore. just annoying me with requests for files that she supposedly takes elsewhere

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:30 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Riff wrote:

exceot that she is no longer my client and hasn't been for several years, the job was done and supplied and finished with. no customer relations because she isn't giving me her custom anymore. just annoying me with requests for files that she supposedly takes elsewhere

sorry I should have also added that RE- supplying, storing and repeated retrieval of old files was never part of the job I quoted on her originally so she can't complain about being charged for something she wasn't aware of if it wasn't part of the job to begin with.

hop613

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:46 am
If you don't want to deal with it at all, I would just say
"Sorry. I do not store files of non-active clients for more than x years"

If you want to charge, I would say
"Because of the way I archive my files, there is a small fee to retrieve client files that have not been accessed in X years."

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:13 pm
If you want to charge, I would say
"Because of the way I archive my files, there is a small fee to retrieve client files that have not been accessed in X years."

If you word it this way, she will probably start arguing how long ago you accessed it for her. You are too nice! Our graphic artist charges just to look up our file-and we are still her customers!

cookiecutter

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Marion wrote:
Dear ________________,

Sincerely,
ABC

just one issue I need to sort out is that this particular file is not work that I did but it's an image that was sent to me to use in the work I did.
either way I'm not their storage system and they should have the file and not use me to bring it up again but how do I word that appropriately?
Why do you seem so desperate to give them mussar?

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:51 pm
I would first send all clients a letter informing them of a policy change. As of Aug. 1, we will be changing the policy.... something like that. or, we have changed the policy to whatever...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 7:11 pm
ok so I wrote an email combining the suggestions here with what was relevant for this particular situation and after all that stress trying to word it properly she was actually really fine and accepting in her response and is agreeing to pay the fee. Smile

cookiecutter wrote:
amother wrote:
Marion wrote:
Dear ________________,

Sincerely,
ABC

Why do you seem so desperate to give them mussar?
huh? Scratching Head What

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 7:12 pm
oh and thanks for all the suggestions everyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics