Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Funny things our husbands do when babysitting our children
1  2  Next

picklelover

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:21 am
Please share the funny things you've come home to! I'll start.
I once came home to find my 10 month old strapped in his car seat in front of the video screen! Instead of having to run after him crawling all around the house etc, he found a perfect solution!
Another time he watched him while I jumped into the shower. I came out and found my baby almost buried in a pile of toys! Apparently again he wanted to get him to stay in one place so stuffed tons of toys on him so my baby had to work real hard to get each one off of him!

Don't get me wrong- my dh is the nicest guy and always helps me and loves to play with the kids. These are just those rare times when he was too lazy or tired.

Please share anything funny you caught your husband doing while babysitting!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 6:59 am
picklelover wrote:
Please share the funny things you've come home to! I'll start.
I once came home to find my 10 month old strapped in his car seat in front of the video screen! Instead of having to run after him crawling all around the house etc, he found a perfect solution!
Another time he watched him while I jumped into the shower. I came out and found my baby almost buried in a pile of toys! Apparently again he wanted to get him to stay in one place so stuffed tons of toys on him so my baby had to work real hard to get each one off of him!

Don't get me wrong- my dh is the nicest guy and always helps me and loves to play with the kids. These are just those rare times when he was too lazy or tired.

Please share anything funny you caught your husband doing while babysitting!
The biggest pet peeve of mine is when women say that their husbands are babysitting. I know, not the point of your thread, but this really makes me nuts. A husband, once he becomes a father is just as responsible as the mother for watching the child, so he is not a babysitter, ever, for his own child.

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 7:50 am
Why was OP reported????

Come on shabbat, OP is trying to make a fun thread. I know what she means by babysitting. I call my watching the kids alone, me babysitting.

Anyway, my DH gets really tired when he babysits, too, so he often falls asleep on the couch. I've walked in to find him decorated with toys, while he slept through it all.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 8:05 am
You mean things he does differently than you when he does his mitzva of chinuch?
Confused

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 8:13 am
chani8 wrote:
Why was OP reported????

Come on shabbat, OP is trying to make a fun thread. I know what she means by babysitting. I call my watching the kids alone, me babysitting.

Anyway, my DH gets really tired when he babysits, too, so he often falls asleep on the couch. I've walked in to find him decorated with toys, while he slept through it all.

It also really bothers me when people (including my DH!) say this. I know the OP didn't mean anything by it, of course. I've never even told my husband it bothers me because he's a great hands-on father and totally doesn't mean anything by it either. But language is important, I think, and every time I hear it, it grates. I've never thought to refer to myself as babysitting though, that's interesting.

As far as the OP's thread, my husband sometimes takes the kids places and if I leave early without leaving clothes out for my little ones, he will let them dress themselves and when I come home I will find them in very interesting fashion choices!!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 10:38 am
When I read the op's thread right when she posted it, I knew most of the thread was going to be about the word babysitting. Can it please stop now?????? Make your own thread about it....again.

I just think it's in the wrong section.

My dh doesn't do anything funny per se, just is great with them. Anything that someone might think is funny, I might find annoying. Twisted Evil

willow

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 11:28 am
We ran out of diapers or dh couldn't find them so he used a few of my pads as diapers wrapped up with tape.

ChaniH

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 11:45 am
willow wrote:
We ran out of diapers or dh couldn't find them so he used a few of my pads as diapers wrapped up with tape.

That's hysterical!

morah

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 11:49 am
Amazingly, my husband parents his child when he is in charge. Feeds him when he's hungry, changes his diaper when it needs to be changed, plays with him, takes him to the park weather permitting. There is generally a bigger mess than happens under my watch, and I am fairly sure that DH allows DS to engage in somewhat riskier (and probably more exciting) activities than I do. But no, he has never done anything particularly funny or wildly incompetent. This is our first, and honestly, we've BOTH had our share stupid moments. Shomer pesaim Hashem, and really b'h for that. DH definitely does things differently than I do, but it doesn't bother me because it's his kid too and as long as DS is happy, healthy, and safe, it really doesn't matter. And yeah, add me to the chorus of protest about the word "babysitting". My husband is not a babysitter, he is Abba.

picklelover

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 11:50 am
Haha willow! That's really funny!
I'm terribly sorry I used the word babysitting... Why do ppl get caught up on these things?! Chill guys, let's just have fun!
And oops I didn't realize it was under the halachic section- I posted from my iPhone and there's no way to start a new post unless u go into an existing forum..

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 11:58 am
Gave the 4 year old a FULL pack 450g of sour chews Rolling Eyes so she could sort them by color and then eat them in order while he read in the couch.

His defense : he estimated that by the time she was done sorting the bag she would not consume an excessive quantity of candy (he was right ) in two hours she hyperfocused and he got to relax in complete silence and she only had 2 cherry ones and a sour apple. Then he took her for a ride in the car while I hid the rest of the bag.

DH is way too original in his ideas sometimes but he gets his quirky kids so I have learned to trust his style Wink

why was this thread reported?!

Scratching Head

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 12:13 pm
My DH claimed that it is much much easier to put diapers on backwards - you know, with the tabs in the front and taped toward the rear. I always knew when he had changed them. Gotta say, when he did the changing he was entitled to do it his way.

And if a child is put into clean clothes, that is sufficient. The child suffers no trauma for wearing mismatched clothes when under 2 years of age.

nyer1

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 12:18 pm
I dont really call it babysitting when my husband is 'on duty' , but I always get a kick out of the outfits he sometimes mismatches on my son. also, my husband sneaks ices and ice cream to my 13 month old on occasion...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:19 pm
I came home to find my house unusually quiet. I walked into the kitchen and found my husband reading at the kitchen table wiht my dawter on his shoulders.she was soo happy up there and let him read in peace. so original

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
I came home to find my house unusually quiet. I walked into the kitchen and found my husband reading at the kitchen table wiht my dawter on his shoulders.she was soo happy up there and let him read in peace. so original

adorable!

chatouli

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:27 pm
I came home once last summer after going to the store to find my 2 year old DS wearing shorts I didn't recognize. I checked the label. They were the baby's size 3-6 month pants. Amazingly he was comfortable enough although the elastic was a wee bit tight!

Also the baby was in a size 5 diaper. But hey, they were both clean and dressed! (And fed, of course.)

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:47 pm
willow wrote:

This takes the cake!

morah

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 2:04 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
Gave the 4 year old a FULL pack 450g of sour chews Rolling Eyes so she could sort them by color and then eat them in order while he read in the couch.

My DH did something similar. DS asked for cookies and DH handed him an entire bag and told him "you may have ONLY TWO". Right, hand an open bag of cookies to a two year old and expect him to listen when you say "only two". DS ate the whole bag...

That being said, I've made equally silly assumptions about how small children behave, so I can't call it a clueless man thing.

mandr

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 2:33 pm
One morning that my father was in charge of taking care of my siblings and I, he had to make our hair. He had no concept of pony holders so he used twist-ties.

enneamom

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 2:43 pm
Not really too funny, but I came home once to find lovely permanent marker drawings all over the master bedroom linen... Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics