Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Does your child play a musical instrument?
1  2  Next

Does your child play a musical instrument?
No  
 55%  [ 22 ]
Yes, piano.  
 20%  [ 8 ]
Yes, guitar  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, violin  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Yes, other (please specify)  
 15%  [ 6 ]
Used to but not anymore  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 1:24 am
Which instrument? How long has he/she been playing?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 1:35 am
Piano, about a year and a half. He just turned eight.

Juicy

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 5:01 am
Violin since age 6; he's 8 now.

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 7:36 am
2 kids payed flute, 1 violin & 1 plays clarinet.
The first 3 started around 8yo & being boys didn't have the maturity & perseverance to practice. They were ok & played for several years but nothing special. The next son I got smart & wouldn't let him start before he was mature enough to put in practice. He started after his bar mitzva & because he was so motivated progressed very quickly. He has now been playing for several years & has passed several music exams with distinction . I never remind him to practice.
I'm planning to do the same with the younger kids who wish to play an instrument.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 9:00 am
Got one on violin; one has been playing for 5 years and one for two years, one guitarist too for three years. It's an important part of our homeschool (DH has been teaching the kids their instruments;saves time and money!)

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 10:04 am
In the school my children previously went to, they had music and they learned how to play the flute. They only know how to play the songs they learned.

Now my ds14 class just started music with a musical instrument. Each one is learning a different instrument and he's learning the guitar. He's learning on an electric one, but I'm going to buy him iy'h a regular one. They just started yesterday, so I still have time Very Happy .

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 1:28 pm
It seems to me, except the music learned at school, that it is yet another thing of the past...

Miri1

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 1:32 pm
What age would you recommend starting a child on guitar?
Was wondering about finger strength, length, coordination etc.

TehillaHadassah

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 9:11 pm
Thanks for asking. Son started young on oboe, piano, violin, recorder, more....
Daughter started young, piano and was encouraged on violin but did not pick it up.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 9:47 pm
DS#1 took piano lessons for 4 years starting at age 6. He never enjoyed it much, and was happy to stop.

DS#2 took flute lessons from age 9 until he went away to yeshiva at age 14. He was much more motivated and ready, practiced regularly without being reminded, and more than 10 years later he still plays for pleasure.

chani8

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 8:48 am
On line guitar lessons for DS who showed natural talent.

aleza

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 8:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
It seems to me, except the music learned at school, that it is yet another thing of the past...

Why do you say that? I don't think so.

aleza

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 8:45 pm
3 kids: trumpet, clarinet, French horn. They all started age 9.

granolamom

Post Sat, Aug 03 2013, 10:38 pm
my dd14 has been playing guitar since she's 7 or 8, I dont remember. ds12 plays piano by ear since he's old enough to reach the keys. he's been composing since he's 7 but refuses to take formal lessons (says it will take the joy out of it).
younger ds's poke around on the piano and show musical aptitude (all from dh's side of the family), ds 9 wants to learn drums but I dont have space for drums. he doesnt want to learn any other instrument, but he's picking up some piano on his own. ds6 wants to learn guitar or piano but I think he's too young for guitar and I kinda think he'd do better with a wind instrument. dd3 is all about voice right now.

jkw

Post Sat, Aug 03 2013, 10:54 pm
music lessons stimulate and give kids an excellent sense of accomplishment and mastery. Besides,you may be giving your kid an extra form of parnassa if they can play well enough for simchas!

It's like learning a language at an early age; once you're exposed to it you never really forget.

A universal language!

Ashrei

Post Sat, Aug 03 2013, 11:30 pm
Wow, who are you musical mommies?? I live in Flatbush and almost no one I know is teaching their kids music.

1. Are your kids learning these instruments in school?? (Where?)
2. Where are you? (OOT?)
3. I guess the older you start the better. At what age have you seen the most success?
4. Are there any ensembles for these kids?

(And why amother for the first posters?)

granolamom

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 11:38 am
Ashrei wrote:
Wow, who are you musical mommies?? I live in Flatbush and almost no one I know is teaching their kids music.

2. Where are you? (OOT?)
3. I guess the older you start the better. At what age have you seen the most success?

(And why amother for the first posters?)

I'm not a musical mommy, my dh has musical genes.

my kids do not learn instruments in school. we started my oldest with guitar (her choice of instrument) to help manage her anxiety. we figured lessons were cheaper than therapy and turns out, more effective too.

we're in the Five Towns, if it were all up to me, I'd start young, like age 6 or 7. I see the most success when the child is motivated and as my dd says 'I dont ever practice. I just play'.

keepsmiling

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 1:33 pm
My dd is really talented and Id love for to learn to play any instrument. At what age is it good to start? How do we choose which instrument?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 3:55 pm
Ashrei wrote:

2. Where are you? (OOT?)

1) When we lived in L.A. our sons' school had a music program (see #4, below)

2) We used to live in L.A., but DS#2 started flute lessons shortly after we moved to Baltimore.

3) We waited longer with DS#2, and it was a good decision for him but it's not everything. Maturity, aptitude, and choice of teacher are important too.

4) I'm not aware of any frum children's ensembles, but I know there's an arts and music camp in the Baltimore area called Tizmoret Shoshana, and there's a small day school in the Silver Spring area geared to music and fine arts (kindergarten and lower elementary grades). In Los Angeles Yeshiva Aharon Yaakov/Ohr Eliyahu has had a music program for a few decades already.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 4:00 pm
keepsmiling wrote:
My dd is really talented and Id love for to learn to play any instrument. At what age is it good to start? How do we choose which instrument?

Having any sort of piano or keyboard around is good for kids who have real talent. I was a prodigy and started piano lessons at age 4 because I was already playing my older brother's lessons by ear. In general I would say that it's best to wait until the child wants it. S/he will be much more likely to practice if music lessons are a treat.

If you live in an apartment you need to make sure the instrument won't annoy your neighbors -- that was a consideration in DS#2's choice of flute. Another good apartment choice would be a digital piano with fully weighted keys. I own a Casio Privia for performances and I think it is an excellent piano for students. It feels like a real piano, sounds reasonably good, is (relatively) inexpensive and can be played using headphones. You'd need a good pedal to go with it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics