Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Rent Increase

amother

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:33 pm
What's normal for a rent increase in the Brooklyn area where you get along with the landlord and they are happy with you?
Our landlord just raised our rent for the first time in over 3 years(since we moved in) an astronomically amount. They made it clear a few times that they have been really happy with us!

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:37 pm
What do you consider an astronomical amount? Our landlord in Brooklyn raised us $500 after living there for five years.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:40 pm
OP here

Wasn't that crazy high- $500?
We were raised $300- I thought that was a lot!

Happy18

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:46 pm
In some places $100 raise to the rent a year is standard.

bnm

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:47 pm
we just got raised the first time after living here almost 6 years. its 50 a month so that works out to about 600 but if we don't pay by the 4th or 7th (different tenants got told different dates) it goes up to 100 for that month. the thing I don't understand, takes the landlord 3+ months to deposit the checks....

Happy18

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:52 pm
bnm wrote:
we just got raised the first time after living here almost 6 years. its 50 a month so that works out to about 600 but if we don't pay by the 4th or 7th (different tenants got told different dates) it goes up to 100 for that month. the thing I don't understand, takes the landlord 3+ months to deposit the checks....

We had a landlord who would wait until the next month to deposit our checks. We could not figure out what he was thinking.

bookie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:56 pm
It depends on your landlord and what price you started out to begin with. Some never raise some do $100 a year.

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
OP here

Wasn't that crazy high- $500?
We were raised $300- I thought that was a lot!

It was a lot. We moved shortly thereafter. Our current landlord just raised us $200 after three years.

Do you have any sort of signed lease agreement stating something about rent increases?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 3:39 pm
Maya wrote:
What do you consider an astronomical amount? Our landlord in Brooklyn raised us $500 after living there for five years.
$500 a year total or 500per month?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 3:42 pm
BH our rent has not been raised (we've been living here over 3 years.)

Are you guys talking about legal apartments? Or illegal basements? Or does it make no difference?

ROFL

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:03 pm
My parents rent gets raised by 100 dollars a month whenever we renew the lease, ( usually every two years)

amother

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:42 pm
op here

it got raised 300 /month.- its a legal 2 family house0 from 1500-1800. We were planning on moving by next summer I"yh. Now it's too late- the school year is starting and we're not going to pick up and move- we are going to ask them if they can drop it to 200 for the next couple of months.

We're a young family- my husband just started working after being in school- we have student loans to pay off and we were not expecting that high of a rent increase- we figured it would be around $150...... they said they asked around and the new amount they are asking for now is the going price. But I don't think they realize that you got to do it gradually!

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:

$500 a month.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 7:33 pm
Maya wrote:
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:

$500 a month.

Wow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating