Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Starting an online editing business

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 12:05 am
DH and I are looking for some ways to bring in extra money while he's unemployed, and he came back to the idea of starting an online-based editing/writing service, where I would edit cover letters, resumés, college application essays, press releases, etc. I have experience doing all of these things, some formal, some informal (for friends and family as well as for one of the largest IT corporations in the world, way back when, as well as a local chiropractor).

Now, I'm aware that there are job-hire sites that offer these same services, so how do I make myself stand out? I think offering the personal touch, that you will deal with me and me alone, and I will reach out to you to ask questions as needed to make your revisions better instead of someone who's working on an hourly basis. DH suggests making it suggested donation based so that I don't tax the financial revenues of someone who's unemployed, and there's some merit to his suggestion because I've read that if there's a suggested/no obligated amount, people usually overpay.

We wouldn't need to live off this income, BH - it would be supplemental to my FT work.

So, imamothers who've been there and done that, share your advice with me. What am I missing? How do I make this a success? How do I market myself?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics