Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you hire a woman "handy man"
1  2  Next

SplitPea

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 1:35 pm
Just trying to see if it is worth it to think about. I am in the five towns/far rockaway but asking for opinions from everywhere. Would you as a woman be interested and/or open to hiring a woman "handyman"? Would it make you uncomfortable seeing a woman shlep heavy objects or using power tools? Would you perfer a woman in your house for yichud/tznuis reasons? Would you be more open to calling someone to help you hang shelving, install and put , put furniture together etc if it were a woman or a team of women and not a man?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 1:37 pm
I wouldn't care as long as she knew her job and the price was reasonable (same like others who do it).

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 1:46 pm
I agree with Fabulous, with the caveat that if the job involved heavy duty physical labor then I would probably prefer a man.

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 1:46 pm
Gender would be completely irrelevant to me. Reputation, competence, and price would be what I cared about.

If you have the skills, go for it!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 2:07 pm
Sure I would! Quality work trumps gender.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 2:11 pm
So say all things are equal. Quality of work, price availability etc. would you be more inclined to use a handy woman as opposed to a handy man?

mandr

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 2:27 pm
Not all handywork requires heavy physical labor. I, for example, am very handy when it comes to assembling things like bikes, riding toys, barbecue grills, furniture pieces, vanities, office chairs, etc. and I enjoy it. My family knows that it's my job whenever these items are bought. But I can't lug heavy stuff around.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 2:31 pm
Sure, why not?

Bonus: No yichud issues if I need to call for repairs and I am all alone at home or alone with small children.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 2:35 pm
SplitPea wrote:
So say all things are equal. Quality of work, price availability etc. would you be more inclined to use a handy woman as opposed to a handy man?

Yes. No yichud problems.

little_mage

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 5:08 pm
I think it sounds like a great idea. Assuming it's competitive, I'd certainly consider it, were I hiring someone.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 5:46 pm
All else being equal, I would definitely be more comfortable having a woman in my home than a man.

Plus, the feminist inside me would get a kick out of hiring a woman in what is/was traditionally a man's field.

prestige

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 5:57 pm
of course I would, wish there was such a thing here where I live. I would do heavy duty things together with her.
I get a kick out of painting, assembling things, and hang shelving, but if it takes tooo long I get impatient. If I'd have the help/stimulation from a handy woman, I 'd do much more heavy stuff around the house.
actually my mom and I built together a trundle for under ds crib! Sooo convenient n neat!

gumby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 8:17 pm
I would

joy613

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 9:10 pm
I would.
Though I'm just thinking that I might be wary of doing such a job myself. Might some creepy men call a handywoman to come to their house because that's an easy way to get a woman there?

Unless you only go if a lady calls?

Sugar plum

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 9:14 pm
I would. Go for it!

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 9:56 pm
I would but only for light work!

Yichud issues aside, I would feel awful if a woman had to shlep heavy things into my home, I would feel compelled to help and I can't really lug heavy stuff either!

acccdac

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:58 pm
my plumber is a female jewish woman

Peanut2

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 11:12 pm
I know a frum Jewish handy woman.

She's very good and I would prefer her. I'd probably pay her more than someone else because I know her, now she's good, and because she is a woman.

wife2

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 11:25 pm
If she is good at it, why not? we had a woman plumber come once. As long as she comes recommended, there is no problem.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 1:18 am
I did a massive renovation on my house and the contractor was a woman. At the time, I was working in construction and I asked my boss for suggestions. He suggested her and I never looked back. She was awesome.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics