Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is it a therapist's place to say something?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:10 pm
As a SEIT, I often sit in classrooms biting my tongue, as I observe children crying, teachers yelling, unfair punishments, poor teaching, etc. I know that I am there to do my job and not to judge or comment on everything else going on in the classroom.

However, if the director would come over to you, as a therapist in the room, asking for feedback, and where there is room for improvement, how forthcoming would you be???

I am relatively new to the playgroup where I am currently working, and was put in this situation. I did tell her that the kids are crying too much, placing the blame perhaps on the size of the group. But I did not expand on the fact that the teachers are always yelling at the kids (which she know about, to some extent), that they pour a child's unfinished cereal into another child's bowl, that there is not enough structure, or that some of the teachers are busy on their phones half the time...

I really don't feel that it is my place to criticise the way everything is run, but do you think I have a responsibility to expand on these details?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:12 pm
I don't know, except that as a parent, I hope my child is not in such a class, ever.

Which is why, when doing playgroup research for my kids, I always asked friends of mine who do what you do....they know what goes on in the classrooms, and have never let me down.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:25 pm
I think you have a responsibility to the kids, not to the teachers.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:26 pm
Yes, I would share everything. Don't exaggerate and don't get emotional, but give a matter of fact report of whatever you have seen.

naomi2

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
As a SEIT, I often sit in classrooms biting my tongue, as I observe children crying, teachers yelling, unfair punishments, poor teaching, etc. I know that I am there to do my job and not to judge or comment on everything else going on in the classroom.

However, if the director would come over to you, as a therapist in the room, asking for feedback, and where there is room for improvement, how forthcoming would you be???

I am relatively new to the playgroup where I am currently working, and was put in this situation. I did tell her that the kids are crying too much, placing the blame perhaps on the size of the group. But I did not expand on the fact that the teachers are always yelling at the kids (which she know about, to some extent), that they pour a child's unfinished cereal into another child's bowl, that there is not enough structure, or that some of the teachers are busy on their phones half the time...

I really don't feel that it is my place to criticise the way everything is run, but do you think I have a responsibility to expand on these details?

oh my, this is a hard situation to be in. I would say only tell what is really bad thats going on in the class. otherwise tell them to pop in and observe themselves since you dont feel comfortable reporting about the teachers. you dont want the teachers finding out what you said and then have to work alongside them. im sure the admin knows about most of the dysfunction and if they want to know more they can observe unannounced or peek in whenever they want.

lk1234

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:29 pm
I really think you should say something. Schools should be about the kids. Don't go on and on about all the bad things they are doing but you can just be honest and in a sentence or two describe what you are seeing- teachers on the phone, verbal abuse, non-hygienic conditions (cereal shared from kid to kid-- eeewww). These are serious stuff!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:44 pm
For all those who believe in saying something, is that only when you are approached, or would you say something on your own? Would you tell the parent what is going on?

(I don't see how parents can be sooo unaware, they do drop off and pick up their child every day.
I overheard the director telling one of the teachers that a parent complained about her yelling, so she is def somewhat aware.
But she came to me and asked: what can be improved? And I am thinking "cut the size of the group in half, get a caring teacher who knows how to create a structured and warm environment, etc..."
BTW, I will only be there for a few more days)

amother

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:51 pm
My sister sent to a class like that but the school has a very long waiting list. She wants her dd in that school, just not in that classroom so she let her dd miss every other day of school. She didn't want a bunch of mean moros for her dd but was accepted as a favor to an overcrowded class and didn't feel like she could complain. You should complain though, and don't wait for someone else to say something. Be prepared for the teachers to deny what you're saying though so get proof.

smily

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 10:30 am
You are leaving, and she did ask, so once your out give her tactfully the general areas that need improving.

lk1234

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 10:47 am
If it's mamesh kids being yelled at regularly and pouring cereal from one bowl to the next then YES, I would on my own initiative approach someone in charge and tell them. Do this for the sake of these innocent children. Forget the teachers, parents and everyone else. Just do it for the children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics