Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Edison vs Passaic

amother

Post Sat, Aug 10 2013, 10:15 pm
Can someone tell me if the two communities are similar or different?
I mean Hashkafa wise, warmth of community, types of school, housing, etc.
Also, are there any heimish/chasssidish ppl in either place?
What is cost of living in these places?
Thanks! Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 12:21 pm
Yshivaish yes but very few chassidish people in Edison

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:38 pm
Do the chassidim there daven in a particular shul, or live in a certain area? Are they more open minded chassidish?

fromnj

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:11 pm
You are going to find more diversity in Edison than in Passaic. There is a group in Edison called Kahal Chassidim. They have a Bostoner bent, though they get a crunchy Breslover element as well. I'm not sure how often they meet or where most of them live. There is also a Chabad in New Brunswick, but the Rabbi and Rebbetzin live in Highland Park. Highland Park/Edison has an out-of-town feel, so if you are looking for Kiryas Yoel South, this isn't it!

I found HP/Edison to be pretty cliquey, but that also means that you may just find your niche!

bubbebia

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:24 pm
My DD lives in Passaic. While it is diverse, it definitely has the more Yeshivish kind of community. Chassidish, I'm not so sure about. I'm sure there's a Chabad presence, but otherwise I don't know. DD and DSIL are very happy there. They used to live in Baltimore and found it to be very cliquish. In Passaic they have acquired a nice chevra, are involved in learning opportunities and become involved in their shul. There are several shuls to pick from, all with a different focus and there are different educational choices as well. Housing is not necessarily cheap, but nowhere in the NY metro area will be. Passaic is basically a blue collar town and is not the most modern beautiful place. But apartments are available if that is the housing you need. If you are interested in learning more, I can put you in touch with my DD. PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating