Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Any physicians who have successfully made aliyah?
Previous  1  2

TzipG

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 3:43 am
My sister's bil is a us trained GP and works for a us web/phone based medical consulting firm. He works US hours (sundays off, mornings free) and makes a nice salary. I don't think he ever even got licensed here. I also think I heard that Israel is changing policy and doctors do not need to be recertified.

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 11:31 am
Peanut2 wrote:
You need 40% to buy.

Also, if you want/need private health care that raises costs tremendously in Israel. I keep saying this, we had excellent insurance in the States so Israeli healthcare will be much more expensive for us, even if you ignore the health tax. We paid $200 a month for our share of insurance, and I don't want to share how little we paid after that. In return we got everything, including dental insurance, what in Israel is considered "private" doctors (can pick your doctor or midwife for delivery, access to any doctor...) Sigh.

The cost of things in Israel was always high, but when you came with dollars once upon a time that was helpful. These days it's almost the opposite. Even soup nuts and bamba are cheaper in America than in Israel.

I don't know why Israel is so expensive, but it really is.

this is kind of depressing.

what is the range of home prices? (3 br house or apartment)

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 11:40 am
irrationalrose wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
You need 40% to buy.

Also, if you want/need private health care that raises costs tremendously in Israel. I keep saying this, we had excellent insurance in the States so Israeli healthcare will be much more expensive for us, even if you ignore the health tax. We paid $200 a month for our share of insurance, and I don't want to share how little we paid after that. In return we got everything, including dental insurance, what in Israel is considered "private" doctors (can pick your doctor or midwife for delivery, access to any doctor...) Sigh.

The cost of things in Israel was always high, but when you came with dollars once upon a time that was helpful. These days it's almost the opposite. Even soup nuts and bamba are cheaper in America than in Israel.

I don't know why Israel is so expensive, but it really is.

this is kind of depressing.

Where?? Huge differences between periphery and major cities, and between over the green line to in it.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 11:44 am
And I don't know if you should start getting depressed, OP.

All the doctors I know (as friends, not professionally) do very well for themselves, even those not in the private sector. True, they aren't millionaires like maybe some doctors are in the states, but they own their own houses (the ones I know all own private homes, granted not in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv), they are two car families, and some of them even go abroad every year (the ones with two kids rather than six).

And these are all families where one person is a doctor and the other doesn't have a great paying job (the wives I know are all teachers or nurses).

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 11:59 am
If you are talking dollars and wish to live somewhere more or less central, I would say that $300k is the low range for an average inexpensive apartment, maybe 3 br. that's just over 1000000 nis. Yes, it IS depressing. But miracles happen in Israel.

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 1:02 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:

Where?? Huge differences between periphery and major cities, and between over the green line to in it.[/quote]

where mostly depends on jobs and affordability.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 1:42 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:

Where?? Huge differences between periphery and major cities, and between over the green line to in it.

where mostly depends on jobs and affordability.[/quote]

Doctors are needed everywhere. In fact, I think there may be more of a need for doctors in some peripheral areas (read cheaper) than in the major cities.

Are you looking for a job at a hospital or in kuppat cholim or a combination?

In any case, if you aren't fussy about having lots of anglos around you, your options grow. The train has made commuting much, much easier for many Israelis. You could live somewhere like Rechovot or Hadera (both have train stations AND a hospital and many kuppot cholim), and if you don't find a job there, you can always take the train to Tel Aviv.
Rechovot has the added benefit of a larger dati population and some anglos, although it may be more expensive.

irrationalrose

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 10:20 am
Anglos not important. job is tricky because it is an uncommon subspecialty so probably only near a major hospital.

I don't know about a car - can you really do without one? we have two now in the states, but could probably make do with one if dh biked to the train station instead of driving. dont know about winters though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions