Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Walmart Kiddie Carts Not Mom Friendly

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 1:50 pm
This is a post from my blog, but I thought it might be helpful for those of you moms who take little ones shopping. It is about my experience with a fancy shopping cart:

Nothing strikes more fear in my husband's heart than when I tell him I have been to Walmart. So, if you are reading this honey, don't worry, I didn't go to Walmart today, this is about my last week's spend fest.

I went to Walmart with my 1 year old and was all set to enter when I saw a row of these cool shopping carts in the entryway. The car in the picture is almost identical to the ones at my Walmart, except the Walmart ones have a Wiggles theme.

I have used kiddie car shopping carts before and my toddler is entertained by them, so I thought, what could be better than an interactive Wiggles cart with a TV screen (I am of the TV viewing persuasion). So, I proceeded to hold my baby with one hand and shlep a cart out with the other. I noticed it wasn't moving. Very quickly, an elderly Walmart greeter hurried out to the entry area and informed me that "You have to pay for these carts!" I felt like a shopping cart lifter. Red-faced, I looked around a minute for the place to pay and saw that there was a central automated payment station. If you put in $1 the super magnetic hold will be released, the music and lights and whistles will begin to play and you can enjoy your shopping experience with a hypnotized toddler in tow.

That sounded good to me, so I fished out my wrinkly dollar, proceeded to insert it approximately 8 times before it was finally accepted, went to my assigned cart number and we were off. The problem is, about 5 minutes into my shopping trip and 6 rounds of the Wiggles' "Big Red Car" my son was trying to climb out of the front window. Within 10 minutes I was racing around the store with my son, plopped in the front section with my goods, red-faced and screaming. For this I paid $1?

Finally, after checking out, I attempted to leave the store and get to my car laden with groceries and snotty kid. I was stopped at the exit and informed that the cart could not leave the premises! Well, how exactly am I supposed to get to my car with all my stuff? The Walmart employee brought me a regular cart and I had to transfer all the bags and my kid to the new cart, while she whisked off the "Cadillac Cart" back to it's rightful parking spot.

Bottom line - don't be lured by the promise of a peaceful shopping trip that this cart promises. Go with the simple model. At least you won't have wasted a buck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics