Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
No longer homeschooling
Previous  1  2  3

Seraph

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 6:01 pm
shalhevet wrote:
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Another thing you might not know about, and you might want to check out quickly, is that they might not accept children who went to a Chabad gan to a Litvish (or Sephardi Litvish-inclined) cheder.

You are always campaigning not to say LH about Eretz Yisroel. Well that comment seriously made me very sad to hear that the divide and Sinas Chinom has become so bad over there. If you care to share the reasoning behind this I would be very glad because in my mind it appears that a neutral family who happened to have sent their kid to a Chabad preschool and even though they are Litvish will get refused into their Cheder just based on that.

I have no idea what the connection is between this and sinas chinom. Who hates anyone else?

You say "a neutral family" - if you lived here, you would know there is almost no such thing. Except, maybe a few Anglos. People here associate with a particular group - it is very difficult not to. That is just the reality here. I know people from all different groups, and no one hates anyone else.

Good chadarim are usually oversubscribed. It would just seem odd that if you are Litvish that you would send to a Chabad cheder. So they probably wouldn't have room for someone who seems too "out of the box". I would imagine the same is true in the reverse. And if someone Litvish suddenly decided to change their child to a chassidish cheder.

Also, Chabad talmudei Torah are part of the government system, and work differently. AFAIK (maybe I have this wrong), they, like government schools, have three years gan and then start reading in kitta aleph. Litvish and chassidish chadarim have two years gan and start reading in mechina, and the children go into kitta aleph already reading and ready to start chumash.
No, this is chinuch atzmai, not a government school, and it has mechina alef and mechina bais, then starts kita alef at kindergarten age, or 5 years old, like standard chareidi schools. I can't tell you about other places, but the chabad school here is like the standard chareidi schools here, and the schools here don't discriminate based on what gan you sent to. Oh the joys of a wonderful yishuv that is a little more out of the box than the standard.

Seraph

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 6:05 pm
In this yishuv, there are something like 8 different ganim/cheders, and more like 3 or 4 elementary schools from kita bais and on. (Sfardi, litvish, chabad, and maybe another sfardi one.) Kids from all sects get accepted to schools from all sects- the litvish school has a bunch of sfardim, chassidim, litvaks, chabadnikim, etc... Baruch hashem for a warm open community. They won't accept someone completely not chareidi, but open minded chareidi or "different chareidi" gets accepted no prob.

The one school that probably wouldn't accept my kids is the one run by the "shawl ladies" and their kehilla, but thats ok, I dont want my kids growing up thinking that women wearing burkas is cool, so no worries.

intrigued

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 6:07 pm
So it's reassuring to hear that Seraph!

September June

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 6:37 pm
Seraph, your yishuv sounds great. I also think its awesome how much effort you and your dh put into your children's education! I predict that they'll be speaking Hebrew like little Israelis by the end of this year.

(Are you going to move into a larger apartment in the near future? I don't know how you squeeze in your place with only 1 1/2 bedrooms.)

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 2:52 am
September June wrote:
Seraph, your yishuv sounds great. I also think its awesome how much effort you and your dh put into your children's education! I predict that they'll be speaking Hebrew like little Israelis by the end of this year.

(Are you going to move into a larger apartment in the near future? I don't know how you squeeze in your place with only 1 1/2 bedrooms.)
Baruch Hashem it is really great.
Thank you!

No plans on moving any time soon. We'll probably stay here at least another year or two. I don't feel cramped at all here (other than for storage space).

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 2:55 am
Seraph wrote:
September June wrote:
Seraph, would you consider sending your dd to school when the times comes? And do you plan on catching your boys up on their vaccines now that they're in school?

(If you don't want to answer, you don't have to.)
Not likely. Because by the time she grows older, I assume she'll pick up hebrew from her brothers... But I'd have an easier time finding schools for girls than schools for boys, and I already know of two elementary school options I'm ok with should I find the need to send.

And no, no plans on changing the vaccination plans now that they're in school. (My plans regarding vaccinations are only certain ones, and only at certain stages of life. None I'd give at this stage in life.)
I just wanted to point out that this is not always the case. I know many anglo families here in israel that talk english at home, even the children, among themselves, so this is not a done deal that just because your older boys will learn hebrew in school, if they are not among hebrew speakers they may not speak hebrew and she may not pick it up.
Ive seen this many times. Just saying.

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 3:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Seraph wrote:
September June wrote:
Seraph, would you consider sending your dd to school when the times comes? And do you plan on catching your boys up on their vaccines now that they're in school?

(If you don't want to answer, you don't have to.)
Not likely. Because by the time she grows older, I assume she'll pick up hebrew from her brothers... But I'd have an easier time finding schools for girls than schools for boys, and I already know of two elementary school options I'm ok with should I find the need to send.

And no, no plans on changing the vaccination plans now that they're in school. (My plans regarding vaccinations are only certain ones, and only at certain stages of life. None I'd give at this stage in life.)
I just wanted to point out that this is not always the case. I know many anglo families here in israel that talk english at home, even the children, among themselves, so this is not a done deal that just because your older boys will learn hebrew in school, if they are not among hebrew speakers they may not speak hebrew and she may not pick it up.
Ive seen this many times. Just saying.
Well obviously I'd see what happens. I am assuming that my kids will start speaking hebrew among themselves as happened with my husband's family who moved to Israel when my husband was 6. But if she doesnt pick up hebrew, obviously I'm not opposed to sending to school for a year to pick up the language. Wink

shalhevet

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 3:30 am
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Another thing you might not know about, and you might want to check out quickly, is that they might not accept children who went to a Chabad gan to a Litvish (or Sephardi Litvish-inclined) cheder.

You are always campaigning not to say LH about Eretz Yisroel. Well that comment seriously made me very sad to hear that the divide and Sinas Chinom has become so bad over there. If you care to share the reasoning behind this I would be very glad because in my mind it appears that a neutral family who happened to have sent their kid to a Chabad preschool and even though they are Litvish will get refused into their Cheder just based on that.

I have no idea what the connection is between this and sinas chinom. Who hates anyone else?

You say "a neutral family" - if you lived here, you would know there is almost no such thing. Except, maybe a few Anglos. People here associate with a particular group - it is very difficult not to. That is just the reality here. I know people from all different groups, and no one hates anyone else.

Good chadarim are usually oversubscribed. It would just seem odd that if you are Litvish that you would send to a Chabad cheder. So they probably wouldn't have room for someone who seems too "out of the box". I would imagine the same is true in the reverse. And if someone Litvish suddenly decided to change their child to a chassidish cheder.

Also, Chabad talmudei Torah are part of the government system, and work differently. AFAIK (maybe I have this wrong), they, like government schools, have three years gan and then start reading in kitta aleph. Litvish and chassidish chadarim have two years gan and start reading in mechina, and the children go into kitta aleph already reading and ready to start chumash.

Thanks for elaborating and thats why I asked you to because it appeared to me the only basis they will refuse the kids was the fact that he C.V went to a Chabad Preschool. If this is purely a level issue then I guess I could understand but I hope it's not discriminating against just one sect.

I have another question. Is a Chabad kid accepted into a Litvishe Cheder and vice versa from day one? In general I haven't heard too many good things about the Chinuch system and the divide between sects sound very off-putting and that is what would make me wary from moving.

It is very hard to explain if you aren't familiar with frum life in Israel.

I was actually trying to explain the opposite to some of my teenagers yesterday! It came up about something and I told them about several people they know who are very frum, ehrlich people who are not really chareidi or DL or any particular box - but all these people are in their 50s or 60s at least, and their children all "belong" to a particular group - often each of their children belongs to a different frum group.

It starts with dress - however you dress immediately "boxes" you. For a man, he has to wear a kippa, and he therefore needs to choose a particular kippa. And for women there are also particular styles associated with different groups - things like more formal/ informal, skirt length and style, headcovering etc.

Then where you send your children to school. With very few exceptions, schools are associated with different groups - and there is ideology behind it, these schools are teaching in different ways, different curriculum, sometimes even a different language (Yiddish or Hebrew).

I don't know if it's good or bad, but it is what it is.

Now, I'll come back to your question and just say I can't answer it, because it just would never happen. No Chabad parent would want their child in a Litvish cheder or vice versa.

It all sounds much worse that it is. This doesn't mean people aren't nice to each other or don't respect each other, while firmly believing in their own derech. In my apartment building, there are Litvish, Chabad, Sephardi-yeshivish, and chassidish families, and everyone gets on fine.

Marion

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 3:54 am
shalhevet wrote:
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Thanks for elaborating and thats why I asked you to because it appeared to me the only basis they will refuse the kids was the fact that he C.V went to a Chabad Preschool. If this is purely a level issue then I guess I could understand but I hope it's not discriminating against just one sect.

I have another question. Is a Chabad kid accepted into a Litvishe Cheder and vice versa from day one? In general I haven't heard too many good things about the Chinuch system and the divide between sects sound very off-putting and that is what would make me wary from moving.

I was actually trying to explain the opposite to some of my teenagers yesterday! It came up about something and I told them about several people they know who are very frum, ehrlich people who are not really chareidi or DL or any particular box - but all these people are in their 50s or 60s at least, and their children all "belong" to a particular group - often each of their children belongs to a different frum group.

It starts with dress - however you dress immediately "boxes" you. For a man, he has to wear a kippa, and he therefore needs to choose a particular kippa. And for women there are also particular styles associated with different groups - things like more formal/ informal, skirt length and style, headcovering etc.

Then where you send your children to school. With very few exceptions, schools are associated with different groups - and there is ideology behind it, these schools are teaching in different ways, different curriculum, sometimes even a different language (Yiddish or Hebrew).

Now, I'll come back to your question and just say I can't answer it, because it just would never happen. No Chabad parent would want their child in a Litvish cheder or vice versa.

It all sounds much worse that it is. This doesn't mean people aren't nice to each other or don't respect each other, while firmly believing in their own derech. In my apartment building, there are Litvish, Chabad, Sephardi-yeshivish, and chassidish families, and everyone gets on fine.

I'll disagree with the part of your post that I bolded and put in blue above. I happen to know a Chabad family who very much DID want their daughter in a Litvish BY (she'd been in the Chabad girls' school and they wanted to move her). And it was NOT easy to do...there were a lot of conditions put on her acceptance.

intrigued

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 5:13 am
shalhevet wrote:
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
intrigued wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Now, I'll come back to your question and just say I can't answer it, because it just would never happen. [b]No Chabad parent would want their child in a Litvish cheder or vice versa.[/b]

Ok so personally I am Lubavitch I had a sister who went to a very mainstream BY school which has mainly Chasidish and Litvish families. My parents didn't have an easy time getting her in but they managed. My nieces go to the same school and my nephews go to a Chasidish Cheder. They all went to Lubavitch Seminaries and Yeshivos and had no problem with that. In my Lubavitch school I had girls in my class who weren't Lubavitch. So I don't think it's the families who don't want it but rather the schools.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics